News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Advertising Disguised as Science

Started by Telarus, June 13, 2012, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

I swear to Eris this has nothing to do with that other thread.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/06/advertising-masked-as-science.html

Very interesting tho, as it exposes how the structure of a system can lead to claiming to work towards one goal while driven by other motivations (please do't make me repeat the first line of this post).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

Wait, people would manipulate data to sell products?

Don Coyote

But to be honest, I am a tiny bit surprised about the after-the-fact manipulation.
I was expecting this to be something on the how advertisers are using science to frame their ads in a way that better circumvents the consumer's will.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The whole process is deeply fucked. Add to that the fact that despite the BAWWWWing of pharmaceutical companies about the costs of developing new drugs, most of the cost of drug development is borne by universities and pharmaceutical companies spend two and a half times more advertising them than they do developing them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."