News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

5 Circuits Of Humour

Started by hooplala, August 17, 2005, 04:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Sulfide

no, it's quite true what i said,
i can even quote a reliable source.

Quote from: not N'yo B?©8. Non-Local QUantum Circuit, i.e. OOBE's near death experience, esp,
precognition, telepathy, etc numbo jumbo.

does not exist. this simply isn't funny.
Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

Oh.

Well, then.

::giggles at the Universal Joke anyway::

hooplala

N'yo B?©, Terrorist Zenja, I love your other circuits!  I thought long and hard about it, and could come up with nothing.  You are a genius.

However, I do agree with LMNO about circuit 8, but that's just my opinion.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Actually, I do have some problems with the structure myself, but I have to go get drunk soon, so i don't really have time to get into it right now.  Perhaps on Monday.

Perhaps.

Iron Sulfide

i also said that i hadn't put much thought into it. it's kinda shitty
and slap dash, i came up with those just after writing:
"i didn't put much thought into this..."
Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

That's cool, there's no grading on this section of the exam...

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNOThat's cool, there's no grading on this section of the exam...

Yes there is!

C+ Must try harder. See me after class.

actually...there's not.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Iron Sulfide

::forges the C+ into a PERL grade before getting home::
Ya' stupid Yank.

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Littlest Ubermensch

The way I see it, all humor is based around our reaction to a dissonance between our understanding and what we're seeing. So each circuit is a result of the violation of the understanding in the corresponding circuit of consciousness.

1. Slapstick. "Oh shit! He fell on his ass! I bet that hurt!". Rather than be safe and self preserving, the character is observed being dangerous and putting themself in harm's way. Think 3 Stooges (idiots acting self destructive.)

2. Breaking social norms/roles. "Wait a second... you can't fart in public! That's icky!". What's observed doesn't fit in with perceptions of acceptability. This is the basis of all gross out/swearing grannies kind of humor. Think Little Tramp (bum acting rich and proper).

3. Non sequiter. "Ha ha! That doesn't make any sense!". Rather than be logical and symbolic (as 3rd circuit thinking implies), what's observed is random and meaningless. Think ATHF (meaningless dialogue, almost no characterization), or Monty Python.

4. Shock humor. "haha omg thats horrible". Not just breaking social norms (though there's a lot of overlap), but breaking senses of morality.

5. Decontextualizing the ordinary. 5th circuit thinking is often heavily symbolic and places a lot of meaning on everything (at least when there's weed involved, if all the "this album fuckin speaks to me man" talk is any indicator.) So, when confronted with the astoundingly ordinary, the 5th circuit thinker laughs from the dissonance. Think Warhol (lol, soup cans), Duchamp (lol, it's a urinal), or stoners laughing at nothing.

6. Laughing at yourself: Part 1. You may have seen the light of the world beyond language, beyond spirituality, beyond yourself, but you're still a hairless ape.

7. Laughing at yourself: Part 2.  Despite the overtly empowering message of 7th circuit thinking ("I am immortal! I am an infinitely beautiful manifestation of a spiritual consciousness energy that pervades the whole world!"), you're still a dumbass.

8. Laughing at everything. The smile on the face of Buddha.

(more discussion to be added later. Ambien currently kicking in, making revision/writing impossible.)
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LMNO

somewhere around 6 or 7 should be the non-sequitor running joke (NSRJ) that loops back on itself.  Much like RAW wanted 5-9 to reflect 1-4, the NSRJ is the one that violates circuit 3, yet whose constant re-appearance hints at the strangeness of synchronicity and universality.

What the hell is in this coffee?

hooplala

I don't embrace Leary's circuits 6-8 . . . I'm still mulling over TLU's additions.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I don't either, but as MetaLols...

hooplala

Well, YEAH.

(They're a hilarious way to break out of an argument, however)

BVH
-eristic sophist

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

i want to add to circuit 3: "regular humor", or, as John Cleese defined it:

"two frames of reference that initially appear separate, are brought into connection/relation with eachother in an unexpected manner"

(felix helped me with a really nice word in this sentence, but i forgot it :) it's cause i read the dutch translation of the book, so i have no idea what John Cleese's definition of humor actually is in plain english)

why circuit 3? because it's a purely logical way of constructing humor. pretty much all simple puns, jokes and cartoons are based on this structure.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.