Seeing? Yes. But Reading? Not so sure.

Started by LHX, March 11, 2008, 05:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

it occured to me that rarely are things actually read

people see a lot of things

but not much gets read

that being said

what percentage of the population reads?

ever?

20%?

less?
neat hell

Cain

I believe the majority of people within the UK only read 3 books this year.

And I very much doubt they were anything like Black Mass or Kant's Metaphysicals of Morals either.

AFK

Interesting question.  It's easy to go pessimistic and say less, but it's one of those things that would be hard to pin down.  Though it probably speaks to how so little gets accomplished in a lot of circles.  

I think of my own profession.  Seems like I go to the same meeting about the same topic over and over.  Shouldn't we be able to cover ground and move on to new ground.  Yet, it seems like often at the next stop we have to spend so much time retracing our steps that we never really get anywhere.  

So, maybe not only is it "Stop and smell the roses", it's "Stop and Spell the Roses."
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I like to read, and I read a lot.  I try to read a book a week.

The divider there is the wheat from the chaff so to speak.  I read a lot of crap with the occaisional informative book thrown in every couple of weeks for good measure.

I think people must be reading or else Borders and B&N would be out of business.....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love to read, but since having the kids it's slowed down to more like a book a month, sadly. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

A.N. Other

It is a bit odd, I think, that the majority of Discordians—a group of people most would call childish in beliefs—seems to be intellectual. I find this very amusing at times. The other times, I'm sort of frightened that we are the ones who read. The 'lunatic fringe' has more sense then most.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Kurt Christ

Quote from: K-Scar on March 11, 2008, 07:16:06 PM
The ‘lunatic fringe’ has more sense then most.
Of course we do. The vast majority of people are drowning in self-deception and lies that they are to afraid to question, while the "lunatic fringe" questions the base assumptions of society and find something else. What  we find may be bullshit, but at least we have the sense to look.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

LMNO

Quote from: LHX on March 11, 2008, 05:28:09 PM
it occured to me that rarely are things actually read

people see a lot of things

but not much gets read

that being said

what percentage of the population reads?

ever?

20%?

less?

Good to see you back, L.

I'm interpreting this as "seeing" being taking in of information, but "reading" as actually understanding what you see.

That is, I know a lot of people who "see" the writing in a lot of good books, but they haven't actually "read" it.

I know people who "see" the morning newspaper, but not too many who actually have "read" it.

Payne

I used to be the same way myself. I've read a fucking shed load of books, and can't even tell you what they were about.

Not only did I not read to understand them, I didn't even read deeply enough to retain any of the information.

Another issue I've had is a tendancy to slip into skim reading, and I often have to go back again and again to actually read the paragraph or page.

And thats with me being aware of the problem and trying to change it.

Richter

Reading happens at dif. levels.  Some books I blow through and could summarize easily, but those are pulp sci fi, fantasy, etc.

Denser stuff (LoTR, Dune, Silmarilion), or ones like "Black Swan" and "Blood Germs and Steel", I've read, and then re visit on certain points later.  They have more to offer on re-visiting.

I agree with Payne, especiially in college, I had the fantastic skill to read every word on teh page of a dull text, but still miss the whole point entirely.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Chairman Risus

Used to have the same problem as the last two posters. 
I used to read loads of books, but lately, I've just been uninspired and haven't been able to concentrate on much. I intend on remedying this problem soon.

Cainad (dec.)

I spend too much time getting edumacated by skewl to read very much.

LMNO

I'm re-reading Goedel Escher Bach.  I last read it in 1990.

I'm not quite sure if I'm reading the same book... There's a lot more information in it, this time.

Triple Zero

i'm really having trouble getting through it the second time. also because i mostly just wanna read about the Goedel proof. but i'm nearly there. :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Vene

Quote from: Richter on March 13, 2008, 09:59:20 PMI agree with Payne, especiially in college, I had the fantastic skill to read every word on teh page of a dull text, but still miss the whole point entirely.
I've done that way too many times.  And I like to read, although, I haven't done enough of it recently.