News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

classical music: more metal than metal

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 07, 2014, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 10, 2014, 10:28:24 PM
Y'know, we're all overlooking something important, which is that no matter who the best classical composer is, the only classical performers worth a shit are the goddamned TSO. Because fuck Mozart and anyone else who didn't have Alex Skolnick on guitar.

What is an Alex Skolnick?

Seriously though, I used to think that classical music was lame, but then I realized that it is actually NOT lame. It has all the best features of good metal (complex rhythms and harmonies, innovative melodies, layer upon layer of sonic bliss). It isn't the composers' fault that electric guitars and distortion hadn't been invented yet. They had to make due with trumpets and god damn tubas and shit. No wonder they all looked completely bonkers and they all died by the age of 40. I try to judge musical compositions by how awesome they would sound if they were transcribed into their true electrified metal form. This is also mostly why I hate HATE HATE contemporary "classical music." There's no excuse for writing that way now. We have distortion pedals and BC Rich. Anyone who still writes for cellos* and brass is worth forgetting immediately - and it shows in the atonal shite they come up with.

*Exception made for Apocalyptica, but only barely.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 13, 2014, 03:35:49 PM
Y'know, we're all overlooking something important, which is that no matter who the best classical composer is, the only classical performers worth a shit are the goddamned TSO. Because fuck Mozart and anyone else who didn't have Alex Skolnick on guitar.

:?

The Tucson Symphony Orchestra consists of 3 mental defectives playing jugs & washboards, and a meth head using the buttharp.

I'd honestly listen to that.

[requia]
However, he's referring to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I believe, which attempts to translate classical music to rock guitar.
[/requia]

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 13, 2014, 03:35:49 PM

:?

The Tucson Symphony Orchestra consists of 3 mental defectives playing jugs & washboards, and a meth head using the buttharp.

Sounds like it would probably be an improvement over Mozart.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: V3X on January 13, 2014, 03:44:08 PM

What is an Alex Skolnick?

Seriously though, I used to think that classical music was lame, but then I realized that it is actually NOT lame. It has all the best features of good metal (complex rhythms and harmonies, innovative melodies, layer upon layer of sonic bliss). It isn't the composers' fault that electric guitars and distortion hadn't been invented yet. They had to make due with trumpets and god damn tubas and shit. No wonder they all looked completely bonkers and they all died by the age of 40. I try to judge musical compositions by how awesome they would sound if they were transcribed into their true electrified metal form. This is also mostly why I hate HATE HATE contemporary "classical music." There's no excuse for writing that way now. We have distortion pedals and BC Rich. Anyone who still writes for cellos* and brass is worth forgetting immediately - and it shows in the atonal shite they come up with.

*Exception made for Apocalyptica, but only barely.

Skolnick is one of the handful of guys legitimately in the "best guitarist alive" conversation. Among other things, he plays for Trans Siberian Orchestra on occasion.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 13, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
Also, fuck Apocalyptica.

I'm not a big enough fan of Apocalyptica to offer much of a defense, but I find their music more palatable than anything else I've ever heard on the radio.
Beethoven would still kick their ass.

Also, TSO is 95% fluffy christmas music and 5% music that was rejected for not being fluffy-christmas enough.

East Coast Hustle

Yes, but we're already talking about classical music so it can't be any worse even if christmas is involved. It's all shit, I'd just rather listen to that shit when it's being shoveled into my ears by a peerless guitarist.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 14, 2014, 05:51:59 PM
Yes, but we're already talking about classical music so it can't be any worse even if christmas is involved.

:crankey:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Is Karl Orff off limits?  Because Although there is dissonance, much of it is aggressively minor keys, which Metal has in spades.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 14, 2014, 06:05:39 PM
Is Karl Orff off limits?  Because Although there is dissonance, much of it is aggressively minor keys, which Metal has in spades.
oh! That music has a name and a composer!? Srsly, yes this is the good stuff.

LMNO

Ah!  Then you want more like Carmina Burana.  I thought that might be slightly too modern for your tastes.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 14, 2014, 07:40:42 PM
Ah!  Then you want more like Carmina Burana.  I thought that might be slightly too modern for your tastes.
Well, there's no good reason why that guy didn't write that as a proper metal song to begin with, but in this case he can be forgiven.