News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

PD, plz advise. Satire device broken

Started by Cain, February 05, 2015, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on February 06, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
The sign was fucking horrible. The 'woah, some people just don't like funny things' compounding stupidity.

Pretty much this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on February 06, 2015, 09:31:36 AM
It's probably a small symbolic thing for me if I'm at the restaurant, because it's not a sign saying "Lol, you personally being assaulted or exploited in the restroom is something that very well could happen", but in the face of all of the really big problems you acknowledge need to be addressed, it would probably be really nice to use a public toilet without being  explicitly reminded of that threat, I imagine.

Not very long ago I was in a restroom in a grocery store, and while I was peeing I heard unnerving breathing/sounds coming from the next stall. I left quickly, and shortly after I exited, I saw a guy come out of the bathroom. It was not a unisex bathroom.

So yeah, it can happen anywhere, and "Ha! Ha! Your privacy and/or person aren't really safe here or anywhere!" is not actually a funny joke.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nor is "LOL! Women are just a thing that men ogle!"

Reginald Ret

Well shit, I didn't know that was actually a common thing.
I'm used to seeing separate washrooms, not just separate stalls.
I'll have to ask some local women if this is a thing to fear here as well.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

So I was looking for a link to the story of a guy who had planted a camera in the nasty hole portion of one of those outhouse style bathrooms they have up in the mountain parks and instead I ran across this:

http://gawker.com/5814302/peeping-tom-hid-inside-porta-potty

QuotePolice in Boulder are currently on the lookout for a man who was apparently hiding inside a porta-potty at last week's Hanuman Yoga Festival. Let that sink in for a second.

Yes, our suspect was inside, like, inside the infernal device. A female yoga enthusiast, who will likely need years of therapy, entered the the portable toilet, only to notice "something was moving inside the tank when she lifted the lid," according to police spokeswoman Kim Kobel.

Naturally, she found someone else to double-check what could have been some kind of yogic hallucination. But he, too, saw our peeping, uh, John "inside the tank, covered in a tarp." And after the second witness left the porta potty, it mysteriously locked from the inside.

A security guard waited outside until the man emerged, shirtless, with "several cuts on his back and legs," wearing two leather bracelets. "The supervisor," Kobel told the press, "tried to detain the suspect, but he ran away, covered in feces."

Police believe his name is "Sky."
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Oh. Nevermind. The story I was looking for originally was just as bad. Gah:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HT_and_Regs/conversations/topics/187?var=1

QuoteJan. 8 - A Fort Collins man has been arrested in a notorious Peeping-Tom case, in which he allegedly stood at the bottom of a park latrine to spy on and videotape women using the outhouse.

The incident was reported after a woman entered the latrine and noticed a red light below the toilet seat. When she looked closer, she realized a man was standing in the sewage vault with a video camera, said Deputy Cindy Gordon.

The victim yelled, and the man escaped from the outhouse through a nearby manhole. He was wearing fishing waders and plastic bags, according to earlier reports.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 06, 2015, 10:43:58 PM
Well shit, I didn't know that was actually a common thing.
I'm used to seeing separate washrooms, not just separate stalls.
I'll have to ask some local women if this is a thing to fear here as well.

Most bathrooms here are separate, but creepers sneak in and lurk in a stall until an unsuspecting woman comes in so they can get their jollies listening to her pee.

I actually am less worried about it in gender-neutral bathrooms.

Cain

To clarify: I think it was a fairly douchey thing to do, but the response probably wasn't going to convince anybody who didn't already think that was the case, and in fact might have even helped undermine it.

I am pretty fascinated by the political economy of online gender wars, however.  I'd like to see someone tackle that, because certain sites are raking it in due to their focus on it, and it seems smaller media are now cottoning onto the fact.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 06, 2015, 05:44:57 AM
Maybe they should put this one in the men's room.

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2015, 01:13:36 AM
To clarify: I think it was a fairly douchey thing to do, but the response probably wasn't going to convince anybody who didn't already think that was the case, and in fact might have even helped undermine it.

I am pretty fascinated by the political economy of online gender wars, however.  I'd like to see someone tackle that, because certain sites are raking it in due to their focus on it, and it seems smaller media are now cottoning onto the fact.

Well the economy of starting wars is simple. You spark outrage and then reap profit. Nigel has given us the perfect tool. Parody. This whole restaurant business could be blown out of proportion with just the right nudge. Not much really. A pic or two. Coupla werds left in judicious places.

If it's not satire yet it could be made such with just a little tweak or two.

Also am drinking delightful coffee ale this evening. Makes me evil(er).
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2015, 01:13:36 AM

She probably should have simply said that it made her uncomfortable, and then written a letter to corporate.

The manager sounds incredibly shitty, though, that is some piss-poor customer service. If he were my employee he'd be trying real hard to keep his job right now.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Two additional  thoughts:

A. She could be completely lying about how the conversation went down,

B. It's Saskatoon.

Ben Shapiro

To the people creeped out by this. Wouldn't having uni-sex/gender free bathrooms make this worse? Because you know numbers?

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 06, 2015, 10:11:21 AM
The existence of big, terrible things does not justify the existence of small, terrible things.

I too look forward to the glorious utopia where people dont tell jokes I dont like.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Metal Bear on February 07, 2015, 12:13:08 PM
To the people creeped out by this. Wouldn't having uni-sex/gender free bathrooms make this worse? Because you know numbers?

It could.

My experience has been that it hasn't, but my guess is that that's because most places that have gender-neutral restrooms are already places where people have had sensitivity training, etc.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on February 07, 2015, 04:22:46 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 06, 2015, 10:11:21 AM
The existence of big, terrible things does not justify the existence of small, terrible things.

I too look forward to the glorious utopia where people dont tell jokes I dont like.

I look forward to a future in which ostensibly intelligent people don't dismiss a "joke" about women being harassed being posted in a public business as "just a sense of humor thing".

I mean, I know wanting to feel safe and reasonably respected in a bar absurdly outside of the realms of reality and clearly I don't know my place, but a girl can dream.