Hey Nigel, remember when we discussed the "SJW" backlash?

Started by Cain, February 24, 2015, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 26, 2015, 04:45:00 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2015, 02:40:28 PM
Quote from: Meunster on February 26, 2015, 02:32:17 PM
It's to the point where I can't tall the strawmen from the radicals.

This is going to be the great culture war of this generation. SJW "kill whitey", accept me for identifying as a cloud, and be gay or die, and fat is beautiful school of thought, vs  /pol/'s Joules evola, Seig hail, traditional values or die, all untermensh in the oven.

Though tbh, as someone who spent a few months on both sides. Each just circle jerks over images of straw men and are told "all of X are like this." then they take it to the extreme and never stop to question what they're doing. They'll grow out of it.

No.  The great culture war of this generation is whether or not the republic morphs into an autocracy, or if it turns into a theocracy.

Which is why the gender/social issues war is so useful.  Note: I don't think it's a conspiracy or whatever, just people attempting to assert control over the only politics left available to them, because Wall Street firms and oil money men bought the rest.

I want to tattoo that on my forehead.
Molon Lube

Mundus Est Fabula

It's easy to see the appeal, if you aim low and just set your sights on simply being accepted as a regular zek, you never have to confront that pesky issue of never being anything more than a zek. The aspiration to be something more than a simple factor in the course of production requires a kind of courage most of us simply cannot muster while separated from one another.  It's a winning strategy for everyone involved, regardless of which side they happen to be on at any moment. Tumblr activism is the perfect ghetto to house possible dissidents of the younger generation. The various authorities don't even have to invest in informants to keep tabs, the radicals simply stay home no matter what, using devices that passively collect any data of value anyhow.

Meanwhile the far right gains ground in real life here and especially in Europe. In spite of it's completely bankrupt ideology, the german communist movement was at least still strong enough to fight the brownshirts in the streets for a few years. Can you imagine how quickly some of our own home grown fascists will cut through the drum circleists and identity politicians? Yikes
But you know... there are still walls against our communism. There are walls within and between us, that continue to divide us. We're still not done with this world. There's still jealousy, stupidity, the desire to be someone, to be recognized, the desire to be worth something, and worse, the need for authority. These are the ruins the old world has left within us, and which remain to be demolished. Under certain lights, our fall sometimes feels like a decline.

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mundus Est Fabula

Whoops yeah I could have provided some context, it was meant in reply to the comment about identity politics being what's left that people still have control over. It presents itself as something inherently problematic in that the goals of identity politics are immediately desirable while at the same time being self-defeating in the long run. The bitter tea parable if I haven't misread it, I guess.
But you know... there are still walls against our communism. There are walls within and between us, that continue to divide us. We're still not done with this world. There's still jealousy, stupidity, the desire to be someone, to be recognized, the desire to be worth something, and worse, the need for authority. These are the ruins the old world has left within us, and which remain to be demolished. Under certain lights, our fall sometimes feels like a decline.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2015, 02:14:08 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 26, 2015, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 26, 2015, 12:24:53 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 25, 2015, 11:19:28 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2015, 07:45:01 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 25, 2015, 07:37:58 PM
A tactic that I have been using pretty successfully for the last few years, and one that I think works really well when I want to engage in one of those conversations, is to check my own damn privilege.

It's weird how many people who throw out the "check your privilege" line are unwilling to actually do it themselves. Garbo comes to mind; when her privilege was brought up, she left the board rather than examine it.

When I asked her about hiking on land that had belonged to three specific Native American tribes, I was being stupid.

And that video she posted...CHRIST.   Hey, thanks for validating the "Gay panic defense", assholes!

That was so fucked up.

No doubt she went to surround herself with people who let her comfortably deny her own privilege rather than challenging her. Growth is uncomfortable.

It's weird.  A certain type of person goes to tumblr, and they are consumed.  They strap a uniform on, to remove the onerous burden of introspection.

I am sure people have recovered from this, as I am sure the occasional conspiracy theorist snaps out of it...But I have never seen either one happen.
I have talked to one recovered conspiracy theorist.
So those at least exist.

I posted an article to Nigel about that very thing, and started reading a little more.  Apparently, CTers can snap out of it if they can actually manage to look at the structure of their beliefs, which collapse more or less on sight.

Problem is, it is almost impossible to get them to do this.
Yep, It's not the sort of thing you can make people do, all you can do is help them if they seem to be trying.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 26, 2015, 02:52:26 PM
(Snip)
I'd be curious about whether that person is now over-the-top and convinced they're right in some other area of life, which is something I've seen a lot of with people who hold strong beliefs in an area.
He did not respond like that, he simply decided for himself that he'd rather be normal enough to hold on to a job. He is actually very mellow and relaxed about all kinds of polarizing topics. I'm quite impressed since I expected someone in this kind of situation to be overcompensating.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Mundus Est Fabula on February 26, 2015, 05:33:47 PM
It's easy to see the appeal, if you aim low and just set your sights on simply being accepted as a regular zek, you never have to confront that pesky issue of never being anything more than a zek. The aspiration to be something more than a simple factor in the course of production requires a kind of courage most of us simply cannot muster while separated from one another.  It's a winning strategy for everyone involved, regardless of which side they happen to be on at any moment. Tumblr activism is the perfect ghetto to house possible dissidents of the younger generation. The various authorities don't even have to invest in informants to keep tabs, the radicals simply stay home no matter what, using devices that passively collect any data of value anyhow.

Meanwhile the far right gains ground in real life here and especially in Europe. In spite of it's completely bankrupt ideology, the german communist movement was at least still strong enough to fight the brownshirts in the streets for a few years. Can you imagine how quickly some of our own home grown fascists will cut through the drum circleists and identity politicians? Yikes

Yeah.  Right now the only thing that seems to be dividing them is their own internal wranglings, along the Nouvelle Droit/Eurofascist lines.  And given Russia's recent prominence among the Europrean Far Right, I can't help but worry that those home grown fascists will have a disturbingly international dimension to them.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mundus Est Fabula on February 26, 2015, 07:28:03 PM
Whoops yeah I could have provided some context, it was meant in reply to the comment about identity politics being what's left that people still have control over. It presents itself as something inherently problematic in that the goals of identity politics are immediately desirable while at the same time being self-defeating in the long run. The bitter tea parable if I haven't misread it, I guess.

The misunderstanding was mine I think.  I had bunches of stuff on my mind and didn't process.
What is the bitter tea parable if I may ask?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 27, 2015, 12:55:06 AM
*snip*
What is the bitter tea parable if I may ask?
really big image behind the link http://i.imgur.com/VtkLqP9.jpg

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Mundus Est Fabula on February 26, 2015, 07:28:03 PM

That's a great point about empowerment. Though on the downsides tip, I'd add that besides making oneself a target, ascribing your identity to a canned, off the shelf label ultimately makes discussions a battle of egos rather than ideas. It takes very little set off our tribal instincts and to shut down our forebrain.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A