News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

So a buddy of mine wants to run an all-magic campaign in Pathfinder...

Started by President Television, September 01, 2012, 06:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

And right off the bat, he's talking about removing all the daily spell limits. And I'm like no, dude, just give us wands. Make them cheap. Apply the price adjustment that you'd apply to firearms in a Guns Everywhere setting and you're golden. Look, I have Ultimate Combat right here. 10%. There you go.
And then he starts going off about how maybe I'm right, but continues to kind of miss the point. He's like, "Maybe the battle mages have magic items that are kind of like wands, but they recharge every day and you can change which spells are stored in them." And I say no, you're underestimating wands. They'll do just fine.
And then it occurs to me that in a setting where everyone's a spellcaster, the schools of Illusion and Enchantment are almost completely useless. Conversely, spells that require Fortitude or Reflex saves are overpowered.

Is it worth trying to balance, or should I write off the idea altogether?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Don Coyote

I say join the game and break the shit out of it until he breaks down sobbing and tell him, "And this is why I said I what I did."

President Television

Quote from: Guru Qu1x073 on September 01, 2012, 06:15:24 PM
I say join the game and break the shit out of it until he breaks down sobbing and tell him, "And this is why I said I what I did."
I'm thinking I'll be a Summoner. That way, I have an effective means of taking advantage of everyone else's physical weakness, and my high Charisma score will help with Use Magic Device, meaning I can just use wands for the offensive spells my class doesn't grant me.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on September 01, 2012, 06:12:15 PM
And right off the bat, he's talking about removing all the daily spell limits. And I'm like no, dude, just give us wands. Make them cheap. Apply the price adjustment that you'd apply to firearms in a Guns Everywhere setting and you're golden. Look, I have Ultimate Combat right here. 10%. There you go.
And then he starts going off about how maybe I'm right, but continues to kind of miss the point. He's like, "Maybe the battle mages have magic items that are kind of like wands, but they recharge every day and you can change which spells are stored in them." And I say no, you're underestimating wands. They'll do just fine.
And then it occurs to me that in a setting where everyone's a spellcaster, the schools of Illusion and Enchantment are almost completely useless. Conversely, spells that require Fortitude or Reflex saves are overpowered.

Is it worth trying to balance, or should I write off the idea altogether?

I'd write it off.  It's a gimmick, and those usually exist to cover a lack of actual plot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

That sounds like an awful idea.  Everyone has unlimited magic capability?  Really? 

Luna

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 03, 2012, 08:14:07 PM
That sounds like an awful idea.  Everyone has unlimited magic capability?  Really?

Imagine the chaos you could create, with the right spell list...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on September 03, 2012, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 03, 2012, 08:14:07 PM

Imagine the chaos you could create, with the right spell list...

Meh.  With everyone being some kind of spellcaster, the battles would be unimaginably boring.  No thanks.

The Wizard Joseph

I'd roll up a set of stats for a warrior and see if I can get in enough feats to make it bad-ass in hand to hand anyway.

but yeah, It definitely sounds like a gimmick... ask him for a detailed write-up of the world and see if he can give a decent plot hook.  If not I'd take a pass personally.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Telarus

At-will magic works, but not breaking a previously gygaxian "per day" system. Earthdawn has at will magic ("cast all day") but limits it by how many you have at hand at any one time (and then bans certain effects due to world metaphysics). Earthdawn still has summoned/bound spirits/ghosts/elementals/etc at upper levels, so it's pretty dead-on for the Sword& Sorcery and "Vancian" tropes.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Wizard Joseph

I'm a fond of the GURPS magic system because it makes possible "all day" magic at very high skill levels and the world building easily allows for as much or little as you may want.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

President Television

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2012, 11:01:05 PM
I'd roll up a set of stats for a warrior and see if I can get in enough feats to make it bad-ass in hand to hand anyway.

but yeah, It definitely sounds like a gimmick... ask him for a detailed write-up of the world and see if he can give a decent plot hook.  If not I'd take a pass personally.

He basically thought of it off the cuff. It's definitely a gimmick.
And no, he won't allow straight fighters(though he did reconsider his previous no-weapons position and allow magi) But a summoner's the next best thing. You have Summon Monster for minions, and when things get really hairy you've got the eidolon to stand in for muscle.

Freeky

Only arcane, or are divine casters allowed too? Seems like a paladin, cleric, or an oracle would be the most broken in that campaign, given their ability to wield weapons and wear heavier armor.

President Television

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 04, 2012, 04:29:54 PM
Only arcane, or are divine casters allowed too? Seems like a paladin, cleric, or an oracle would be the most broken in that campaign, given their ability to wield weapons and wear heavier armor.

You'd think so, but he declared that weapons simply didn't exist in the setting. His reasoning was that if everyone had magic, they wouldn't have had any reason to develop weapons. I pointed out antimagic, and a day later he grudgingly allowed magi, with the justification that fencing was a sport. Never mind that the entire origin of fencing irl was that it was an abstraction of a form of combat that already existed.
Then I talked him into allowing rogues, on the basis that they have a couple of rogue talents that let them learn magic. Still haven't heard from him on what he's doing with the rest of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on September 04, 2012, 05:12:10 PM

You'd think so, but he declared that weapons simply didn't exist in the setting. His reasoning was that if everyone had magic, they wouldn't have had any reason to develop weapons. I pointed out antimagic, and a day later he grudgingly allowed magi, with the justification that fencing was a sport. Never mind that the entire origin of fencing irl was that it was an abstraction of a form of combat that already existed.
Then I talked him into allowing rogues, on the basis that they have a couple of rogue talents that let them learn magic. Still haven't heard from him on what he's doing with the rest of it.

Run, do not walk.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2012, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on September 04, 2012, 05:12:10 PM

Run, do not walk.

It's getting to be like a train wreck. I can't watch, but I can't look away.  :horrormirth: