News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Oh No You Fucking Don't!!!

Started by AFK, June 20, 2008, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Listen up skippy!  And listen to me good!

You probably saw the same thing I saw driving into work today.  Yep, the gas price has inched down a nickel or so in the past few days.  It might go down a little more over the coming days and weeks, but it's sure to still be a hefty sum to fill up even your little VW Golf.

And now I'm pissed! 

"Huh?  What?  Why?"

Because I know there are some of you idiots out there who at least thought, if not voiced, the following. 

"Cool.  It's going down!  Things are going to get better."

This is exactly what THEY want you to think.  They are banking on this little scrap they are throwing to you, to put you back into the same fucking complacency that got us here in the first place.  The sad truth is that we ARE getting sodomized by the energy companies.  Big Oil laughs because they know that they ARE Big Oil.  It becomes so cliche that they become insulated from any actual action.  Because it becomes instutionalized and accepted that, "Well, that's just the way it is."  FUCK THAT NOISE!!!  YOU NEED TO GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND GET MAD!!!!

How can you be happy with $4.00/gal?  How can you be happy with $3.80/gal?  How can you be happy with $3.00/gal?  But it's not just the Big Oil goons.  They are just the dog-and-pony smokescreen show to keep your attention away from these fucking pinhead speculators who sit behind their computers and hedge bets on the future supplies and create scarcity that doesn't even exist yet.  I mean HOLY HELL.  How can we trust anyone who's occupation is called Speculation?  That's like trusting a surgeon who has a "Hunt and Peck" approach.  There is absolutely squat keeping these impotent pinheads in check.  And Congress, your so-called Representatives, and the President are perfectly content with this scenario.  They won't do jack shit because you sit there, idling in the 5:00 rush hour traffic jam, and you take it. 

"Gosh darn the gas prices are high." 

That gets nothing accomplished.  But it gets worse when you are pleased when it inches down as it is now. 

Now, I've got a thing or two to say to you blind-bat bastards who are mad, but wanting to make the problem even worse.  Your President has just suggested we start drilling off-shore again.  Also, your fucktard President's ultimate goal of creating an Oil Colony in Iraq has come to fruition.  BP, Shell, Exxon Mobil, and Chevron are now getting access to the Iraq Oil Fields.  You idiots talk a great game about decreasing dependency on foreign oil, so it seems your solution is to just take the foreign oil, slap an american flag on it, and voila, it isn't foreign anymore.  God Forbid we actually put some real effort into getting off this dead-end energy source that is fossil fuel and get onto the next thing.  I mean, do you get a heroin junkie off of heroin by giving him MORE HEROIN???!!!!??? 

It's time for people to grow some stones and some brains.  Perspectives are completely fucked in this country right now.  We get mad about some guy's whacky goofball pastor, but we don't bat an eye at our government bending us over and calling us Sally as it reams us in the ass while rifling through our walletts. 

"Here, take my money please!  Here, take my livelihood, please!  But please don't let the smudgy guy in." 

WISE UP IDIOTS!!!  You government is going to go along with what has been, at best, sub-par governance, or at worse, sheer indifferent regression, until YOU get mad about it.  Not upset, not mildly irritated, not concerned, but MAD, MAD, MAD!!!!  America used to be good at getting mad and telling the oppressive Government to get bent.  Well, now we've got THIS George fucking shit up, or looking the other way as others fuck it up.  It's time to tell him, and those that are tacitly or willingly going along with this oil/gasoline shell game to get bent and suck on a tailpipe. 

Otherwise, we're ALL going to be running on fumes. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

:fuckmittens:

Spot on man, especially the part about slapping an American flag on foreign oil. I hadn't realized gas prices had dropped a bit. The price drop doesn't make me any less angry.

I love the line
QuoteI mean HOLY HELL.  How can we trust anyone who's occupation is called Speculation?  That's like trusting a surgeon who has a "Hunt and Peck" approach.

what do we do though, other than get mad?

write to the government? you said they can't do shit about it, and you're right. The well-funded bureaucracy has paralyzed any potential action to throw the rats off the ship. So what's next?

Adios

Excellent! I have gotten myself into the unique situation of not having to use much gas. That's my way of flipping them off.

AFK

Getting mad is the first step.  Obviously there are many of us who are mad.  And we can write our Senators and Representatives.  And they'll give us the sham commisseration, and say "I'm working hard on this issue.  So vote for me so I can continue the work."  

Frankly.  I think what it will take is 6$/gal or $7/gal before enough of the US citizenry calls for blood.  

The danger will be, like any junky hooked on drugs, before we try to help ourselves (looking for the next energy source), we'll start looking for ways to steal resources.  The drug junky will steal money from his mom.  The oil junky nation will start Wars on Terror.  The American people, I fear, will throw up less opposition to invading an oil-rich country, no matter the reasoning, because in the back of their minds they'll think "Well, at least we'll get more oil."  Maybe I'm being overly cynical and pessimistic, but I fear this will happen if we don't actually find and secure the energy source of the future.

In the meantime, I think we can only do what we've tried to do with Discordianism.  Word of mouth.  Talk to our friends and family who seem to be okay with the current situation.  When someone says they're glad the gas price has gone from $4.15 to $3.95, smack them.  You hope you can virally spread the idea that we should not be content with the current situation, and that nothing will be done if enough of us do not rise up.  Will it work?  Surely it's an uphill battle, maybe even a futile one.  

A.N. Other

I hate to say it, but by the time most Americans get mad about the gas prices, it'll be far too late for anything to be done. But, even if they do get angry, if they're anything like the people I go to college with, they won't even try.

Only about 10% of the people I go to school with are registered to vote. Why? One won't register because she has kids. Hell of an excuse there. "I have to take care of my kids, so I can't register." I got pissed at her. School budget voting comes up, how well are you going to care for those kids when all of that money has to go to the bus companies to pay for the gas? Another won't because she feels she won't make a difference. And yet another won't because he's lazy, and admits it. Then there's the kid who feels like none of the current situations affect him.

Goddessdamn them. It is the laziness of the American people, or the fatalistic feelings, that makes it impossible for people to get riled up. If people won't even bother to vote, how are they going to be bothered to do anything about rising gas prices?
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

tyrannosaurus vex

It's already too late to do anything about it. Our entire culture is based on cheap fuel. It's how we have goods and services available at comparable prices from coast to coast. It's why our cities are 50 miles wide. It's our way of life. With gas about to hit $5/gallon there's absolutely no way around the fact that the next 10 years will see a dramatic, forceful, possibly violent reorganization of American culture.

What pisses me off though is not the high gas prices as much as it is the idiocy of people who think that allocating more land for oil production will actually fix something.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on June 20, 2008, 07:00:27 PM
It's already too late to do anything about it. Our entire culture is based on cheap fuel. It's how we have goods and services available at comparable prices from coast to coast. It's why our cities are 50 miles wide. It's our way of life. With gas about to hit $5/gallon there's absolutely no way around the fact that the next 10 years will see a dramatic, forceful, possibly violent reorganization of American culture.

What pisses me off though is not the high gas prices as much as it is the idiocy of people who think that allocating more land for oil production will actually fix something.

:potd:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iason Ouabache

I'm honestly hoping that we will finally get serious about renewable energy if/when gas prices get completely out of control.  And I'm not talking about biodiesel either.  As much as I'd love for corn-based ethanol to take off like a rocket (for greedy, self-serving reasons) it isn't the answer because it takes away from our food supply.  We need to seriously look into wind, nuclear, wave, and solar energy.  If we could get several large solar panel satellites into geosynchronous orbit then we'd have enough power to hold us over for decades.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Adios

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 20, 2008, 08:55:23 PM
I'm honestly hoping that we will finally get serious about renewable energy if/when gas prices get completely out of control.  And I'm not talking about biodiesel either.  As much as I'd love for corn-based ethanol to take off like a rocket (for greedy, self-serving reasons) it isn't the answer because it takes away from our food supply.  We need to seriously look into wind, nuclear, wave, and solar energy.  If we could get several large solar panel satellites into geosynchronous orbit then we'd have enough power to hold us over for decades.

Optimist.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I recall in a documentary on the fall of Rome by the Visigoths, the narrator made a comment like:

"When you've buried your third child from starvation, and you've already eaten the family dog... you may consider revolution."

:x
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on June 20, 2008, 10:46:11 PM

Optimist.
This is the first time I have ever been called that in my life.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

NWC

First of all, :mittens:

Quote from: R.W.H.N? on June 20, 2008, 03:05:51 PM
Listen up skippy!  And listen to me good!

You probably saw the same thing I saw driving into work today.  Yep, the gas price has inched down a nickel or so in the past few days.  It might go down a little more over the coming days and weeks, but it's sure to still be a hefty sum to fill up even your little VW Golf.

And now I'm pissed! 

"Huh?  What?  Why?"

Because I know there are some of you idiots out there who at least thought, if not voiced, the following. 

"Cool.  It's going down!  Things are going to get better."

This is exactly what THEY want you to think.  They are banking on this little scrap they are throwing to you, to put you back into the same fucking complacency that got us here in the first place.  The sad truth is that we ARE getting sodomized by the energy companies.  Big Oil laughs because they know that they ARE Big Oil.  It becomes so cliche that they become insulated from any actual action.  Because it becomes instutionalized and accepted that, "Well, that's just the way it is."  FUCK THAT NOISE!!!  YOU NEED TO GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND GET MAD!!!!

How can you be happy with $4.00/gal?  How can you be happy with $3.80/gal?  How can you be happy with $3.00/gal?  But it's not just the Big Oil goons.  They are just the dog-and-pony smokescreen show to keep your attention away from these fucking pinhead speculators who sit behind their computers and hedge bets on the future supplies and create scarcity that doesn't even exist yet.  I mean HOLY HELL.  How can we trust anyone who's occupation is called Speculation?  That's like trusting a surgeon who has a "Hunt and Peck" approach.  There is absolutely squat keeping these impotent pinheads in check.  And Congress, your so-called Representatives, and the President are perfectly content with this scenario.  They won't do jack shit because you sit there, idling in the 5:00 rush hour traffic jam, and you take it. 

"Gosh darn the gas prices are high." 

That gets nothing accomplished.  But it gets worse when you are pleased when it inches down as it is now. 

Now, I've got a thing or two to say to you blind-bat bastards who are mad, but wanting to make the problem even worse.  Your President has just suggested we start drilling off-shore again.  Also, your fucktard President's ultimate goal of creating an Oil Colony in Iraq has come to fruition.  BP, Shell, Exxon Mobil, and Chevron are now getting access to the Iraq Oil Fields.  You idiots talk a great game about decreasing dependency on foreign oil, so it seems your solution is to just take the foreign oil, slap an american flag on it, and voila, it isn't foreign anymore.  God Forbid we actually put some real effort into getting off this dead-end energy source that is fossil fuel and get onto the next thing.  I mean, do you get a heroin junkie off of heroin by giving him MORE HEROIN???!!!!??? 

It's time for people to grow some stones and some brains.  Perspectives are completely fucked in this country right now.  We get mad about some guy's whacky goofball pastor, but we don't bat an eye at our government bending us over and calling us Sally as it reams us in the ass while rifling through our walletts. 

"Here, take my money please!  Here, take my livelihood, please!  But please don't let the smudgy guy in." 

WISE UP IDIOTS!!!  You government is going to go along with what has been, at best, sub-par governance, or at worse, sheer indifferent regression, until YOU get mad about it.  Not upset, not mildly irritated, not concerned, but MAD, MAD, MAD!!!!  America used to be good at getting mad and telling the oppressive Government to get bent.  Well, now we've got THIS George fucking shit up, or looking the other way as others fuck it up.  It's time to tell him, and those that are tacitly or willingly going along with this oil/gasoline shell game to get bent and suck on a tailpipe. 

Otherwise, we're ALL going to be running on fumes. 

But I don't know about where you live, but I saw gas prices go up last couple of days. I drove to IL last friday, and then again yesterday, and I noticed a good $0.07 increase on average on all of the gas price signs. Of course Chicago(which I drive through) prices are just always ridiculous, a good $0.25 above the suburbs, but it seems to be consistently rising around here.

Also, I've only heard one other person in the world use the phrase "fuck that noise". Are by any chance a 19 year old gay kid who goes to IU? If so, you are awesome and I love you Alec.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

The Good Reverend Roger

They do this to get you thinking that they are being reasonable, rather than insanely greedy.

Gas will never go below $3.00 again.  Bank on it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Maybe it's because I live really close to a major U.S. port.  But the gas station on my corner had inched down from $4.17 to $4.09 and it hasn't gone up, yet.  But yeah, like TGRR says, it's just a tool to further instituionalize our complacency. 

Adios

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 21, 2008, 02:13:21 AM
Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on June 20, 2008, 10:46:11 PM

Optimist.
This is the first time I have ever been called that in my life.

Hypothetical situation.

I invent a car that runs off of water. Patents and start up costs are well beyond my means. While trying to market the idea skeptics are holding the value of the idea down. Oil company offers me X millions for the idea. I accept the deal and the idea is buried under many years of still profitable oil reserves.

Optimist.