OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 07:57:43 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 07:32:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 01:51:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
Ah shit, is there any possibility of a resit?

What is a "resit"?

Ah, no chance then, or serious question?  Sorry, I've been up 20 hours at this point, and have spent most of the past three nights redoing the entire paperwork system from scratch while working on my own, so my head is fairly fuzzy right now.

Serious question; that's either not a term we use here, or  my head is so fucked up from finals stress that I am fully drawing a blank.

My apologies.  Basically sometimes over here the professor can exercise their discretion and either let you write the paper again, or write another paper with a later due date.

My co-worker made a very similar mistake, due to working nights and this place being a fucked up mess.  She wrote to her professor explaining, and because all her other work had been in on time and of a decent quality, she was given a month (which means I've spent the last month going over every single piece of her paper, despite knowing nothing about sports branding).  Other friends, when I was an undergrad, had similar second chances.

It may depend on how the grading works there, with external markers and all, but given the amount of time and effort you've been putting into your course, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some form of leeway for what was an honest mistake.  And being a mature student, I think they'd also accept it was a genuine mistake without much hesitation or questioning.  Writing it again would suck, but less than the alternative.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 08:35:05 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 07:57:43 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 07:32:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 01:51:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
Ah shit, is there any possibility of a resit?

What is a "resit"?

Ah, no chance then, or serious question?  Sorry, I've been up 20 hours at this point, and have spent most of the past three nights redoing the entire paperwork system from scratch while working on my own, so my head is fairly fuzzy right now.

Serious question; that's either not a term we use here, or  my head is so fucked up from finals stress that I am fully drawing a blank.

My apologies.  Basically sometimes over here the professor can exercise their discretion and either let you write the paper again, or write another paper with a later due date.

My co-worker made a very similar mistake, due to working nights and this place being a fucked up mess.  She wrote to her professor explaining, and because all her other work had been in on time and of a decent quality, she was given a month (which means I've spent the last month going over every single piece of her paper, despite knowing nothing about sports branding).  Other friends, when I was an undergrad, had similar second chances.

It may depend on how the grading works there, with external markers and all, but given the amount of time and effort you've been putting into your course, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some form of leeway for what was an honest mistake.  And being a mature student, I think they'd also accept it was a genuine mistake without much hesitation or questioning.  Writing it again would suck, but less than the alternative.

I really do hope she makes SOME accommodation. Asking me to rewrite it seems a bit absurd, given that I already wrote it and all she has to do is accept it. My final paper is already up to 36 pages and I haven't even started on analysis, I'm still just transcribing the interview.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Eurgh yeah I would hope in those circumstances common sense would prevail, as that's a big fucking paper.  Fingers crossed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 03:24:23 PM
Eurgh yeah I would hope in those circumstances common sense would prevail, as that's a big fucking paper.  Fingers crossed.

Thank you! It's a little overwhelming. The paper that was late was wee, only maybe 8 pages. But if she won't give me credit for it, I'll appeal my grade.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The paper I'm currently working on, I anticipate getting to 60 pages, easily.

Cain

That sounds about the length of my dissertation, minus references and footnotes.  Assuming I'm ever allowed to actually send an email and get my study confirmed.  That would be nice, since I need to buy books and stuff.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2015, 03:05:55 AM
If this works as well as I expect it will, I will have the first third of Little Orange up by a week from tomorrow, with the other two thirds coming at one/week.  The "nuclear option" editing style pretty much handled all the glitches (so far).  The majority of the problems were caused by the documents being done in several different formats first (here, then Paes putting it in word, then my version of word, etc).

Basically, you open it in wordpad, save it as text only/no formatting, and then put it back in Word.  Then you assign a font size & type, and re-add any bolding or italics, then assign chapter headings, then pics, then submit.

Nigel, I will contact you with a coupon code for LO, which has been changed to "Little Orange in the Underground".  The code works only at the smashwords site, but you can download from there to nook, kindle, or PC/tablet.

This sounds dope! Please use DS2015 to promo if you're so inclined. I remember the "My Girl Friday" stuff that I read, not heard of "Little Orange in the Underground" at all. Also there was some mention of "MSY", if I recall correctly "A Million Screaming Yahoos", any intent to publish that?

Very glad to hear you've solved your formatting issues.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 12, 2015, 05:11:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2015, 03:05:55 AM
If this works as well as I expect it will, I will have the first third of Little Orange up by a week from tomorrow, with the other two thirds coming at one/week.  The "nuclear option" editing style pretty much handled all the glitches (so far).  The majority of the problems were caused by the documents being done in several different formats first (here, then Paes putting it in word, then my version of word, etc).

Basically, you open it in wordpad, save it as text only/no formatting, and then put it back in Word.  Then you assign a font size & type, and re-add any bolding or italics, then assign chapter headings, then pics, then submit.

Nigel, I will contact you with a coupon code for LO, which has been changed to "Little Orange in the Underground".  The code works only at the smashwords site, but you can download from there to nook, kindle, or PC/tablet.

This sounds dope! Please use DS2015 to promo if you're so inclined. I remember the "My Girl Friday" stuff that I read, not heard of "Little Orange in the Underground" at all. Also there was some mention of "MSY", if I recall correctly "A Million Screaming Yahoos", any intent to publish that?

Very glad to hear you've solved your formatting issues.

I will be putting the MSY comic into graphic format later, when I'm ready to learn all the crap that requires.

Little Orange in the Underground is my largest project ever, and it's what got me to start writing for real.

It's here:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=31715.0

The story runs throughout the thread, with people's comments mixed in.  The sequel, "Life During Wartime" is as yet uncompleted.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

AND it's up!  My Girl Friday/Roger Penrose at smashwords.com.

It should be up on Nook, Kindle, iBooks, etc by midnight.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Going to do one more while I wait for approval.  The Paesors, I think.
Molon Lube

Cain

Midnight your time, I assume?  Not that it makes a difference for me, really, as my internet goes offline at midnight here regardless.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 10:56:02 PM
Midnight your time, I assume?  Not that it makes a difference for me, really, as my internet goes offline at midnight here regardless.

No idea which time zone.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2015, 10:47:12 PM

Awesome!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 04:25:15 PM
That sounds about the length of my dissertation, minus references and footnotes.  Assuming I'm ever allowed to actually send an email and get my study confirmed.  That would be nice, since I need to buy books and stuff.

Yeah, I'm losing my shit slightly. It's way too long for a term paper. Thinking I may end up going through tomorrow and just ruthlessly butchering it down to a manageable size.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 11:59:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2015, 10:47:12 PM

Awesome!

The Paesors is also up on smashwords, also pending for Nook, etc.
Molon Lube