News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

What's In A Name?

Started by hooplala, July 11, 2005, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

Hey, I've been angry AND happy AND spoke to God..all on the same day.  Now I'm just happy.  Discordianism?  Yeah whatever.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

agent compassion

hail eris and pass the muffins :D

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

DJRubberducky

You ain't seen nothin' till you're down on the muffins!
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

Quote from: DJRubberduckyYou ain't seen nothin' till you're down on the muffins!

Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

Verthaine

If anyone here believes that being a discordian is an excuse to be an asshole,please paste this:

Quote Hi.
I am a  asshole.
Please treat me accordingly

on the bottom of your posts.

Makes things alot easier for me when I see that.
Vincent Sebastian Verthaine, K.S.C.
Omni-Belevolent Poly- Father of Hedonism In Black of The Erisian Holy City of the Discordian Parish of New Orleans.

Goddess-Son of Sssbela,Prophetess of Doom

Pastor of the Church of Eris,New Orleans

East Coast Hustle

I would never think that being a discordian is an excuse to be an asshole..

HOWEVER...

that does not mean that the two are mutually exclusive.

I am naturally a discordian, and at times I am naturally an asshole, but the two have nothing to do with each other. If anything, discordianism is a moderating influence on my assholishness. I'd be a real fucker if I were a baptist.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

St. Pynchon

Then I guess the question is: What is the benefit of being an asshole?
MemeCo Buttons

Against the day

Iron Sulfide

if you're an arsehole, you've got a personal vector to dispose of personal shit
Ya' stupid Yank.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

I'd like this thread stricken from the records so that there may be no further documentation of my unfortunate use of the word "sheeple" without so much as a trace of facetiousness.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Raz Tech

Quote from: Hoopla on July 11, 2005, 03:49:36 PM

To compound this, the central Discordian text, the Principia Discordia suggests that a Discordian should never believe what he or she reads, thereby causing a paradox, wherein the Principia renders all of its own contents moot.
I've actually thought about this particular part of the principia pretty extensively, and the conclusion that I have come to accept is that it is meant to make a statement about reaching your own conclusions.  If you follow everything you read with blind faith that it's the truth, you never really think for yourself.  At the same time, if you don't believe anything you read, then you still never really think for yourself.  You have to decide what's true and what's not.

Sort of like how nothing is true, everything is permissible.

As for why people become discordians, I must say I've never actually met one in real life, and I haven't been on this forum for very long so I don't know how it plays out here either.  That being said, the way the book is written could appeal to people who don't understand the sophisticated portion of the humorous, choosing to just take it at the face value of the parts they can understand, which would leave them with act crazy and do whatever because discordianism says words and stuff.

In short, such people are idiots, a la "LODD could also staand for lots of deluded dupes" because people don't understand it really.

And now for why I became a discordian, because this comment is already a wall of text and I don't want to half-ass my first wall post on this particular forum;
I was on deployment with the Navy, and sick of not believing in the afterlife or spirits in the sky or whatever, so I brought along a plethora of religious books, and started reading to find something that would appeal to me.  I read the Qu'ran, The Torah, the Talmud, some stuff on Wicca, Thelema, the left hand path, and the satanic Bible.  All of it was crap.  Then I notices a folder on my computer called discordianism, and went meh, fuck it.  It was the greatest thing I ever read, changed my life, yet I was lonely.  I was the sole discordian I knew of.  Then a few years later in a drunken stupor, I went man, I bet there's some kind of discordian forum on the Internet somewhere.
and lo, I was enlightened.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What's this?? A new person who is coherent, intelligent, and writes thoughtfully?

What a pleasure! Welcome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raz Tech

Pleased to meet you.

I do what I can.  I'm guessing that that's not the norm?