News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Hey, ECH.

Started by LMNO, March 01, 2013, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

ECH: I have another question.

Tomato water:  Do you approve, and what the hell do you do with it?

East Coast Hustle

I have a question of my own.

Who in the blue fuck decided that "tomato water" should even be a thing?

As for what I do with it, the answer is usually "wipe it off the cutting board after I'm done with the concasee".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, as well.

After "add vodka", of course.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on August 29, 2013, 12:25:17 AM
I have a question of my own.

Who in the blue fuck decided that "tomato water" should even be a thing?

As for what I do with it, the answer is usually "wipe it off the cutting board after I'm done with the concasee".

What? TOMATO WATER?

:?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Tomato water, man that takes me back.

Portuguese feast parade day, setting up a tomato water stand outside the tenement house, selling it twenty five cents a cup. "Fresh H2Mato! Twenty five cents a cup!" we'd yell. End of the day we'd walk down and buy a box of those little things you throw on the ground and they snap. Snaps, we used to call them.

Yep, nothing like a cool glass of tomato water on a hot summer day.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Kai

Since this seems to be the "ask the master chef anything" thread, I've got a question for you ECH.

Mushrooms: Is there any acceptable time to wash them, or should they always be brushed clean?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

If you're talking about good expensive wild-picked mushrooms, then they should always be brushed. They'll start to get slimy once they've been exposed to enough water.

If you're talking about your basic white button mushrooms or creminis that you buy in a supermarket then FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR OWN FUCKING FACE PEEL THOSE THINGS.

I'd also like to take a second to point out that I am FAR from a master chef, I'm just some schlub who does it for a living and sometimes knows a little more about how food works than the average yahoo. What I am a master of is getting promoted, whether or not my combined performance and experience merit the promotion. I've worked with many line cooks who knew way more about food than I probably ever will.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on September 27, 2013, 12:26:38 AM
If you're talking about good expensive wild-picked mushrooms, then they should always be brushed. They'll start to get slimy once they've been exposed to enough water.

If you're talking about your basic white button mushrooms or creminis that you buy in a supermarket then FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR OWN FUCKING FACE PEEL THOSE THINGS.

I'd also like to take a second to point out that I am FAR from a master chef, I'm just some schlub who does it for a living and sometimes knows a little more about how food works than the average yahoo. What I am a master of is getting promoted, whether or not my combined performance and experience merit the promotion. I've worked with many line cooks who knew way more about food than I probably ever will.

Peel them? Like a carrot? This is new to me.

Also, Hustle, you're the one that introduced me to "never put oil in the pasta water", and for that you receive whatever culinary title you want.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

East Coast Hustle

:lol: Fair enough. I'd be happy with "guy who made me want to eat better food".

As for peeling the shrooms, if you use a paring knife and start from the bottom edge of the cap you should quickly see how the top skin-like layer separates and peels off.

Kai

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on September 27, 2013, 10:22:33 AM
:lol: Fair enough. I'd be happy with "guy who made me want to eat better food".

As for peeling the shrooms, if you use a paring knife and start from the bottom edge of the cap you should quickly see how the top skin-like layer separates and peels off.

Thanks!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have never peeled a mushroom and don't plan to start. Yeah, I know they're grown in composted manure. Don't care, once it's composted it's just extra awesome dirt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on September 27, 2013, 12:26:38 AM

Let's just put things in perspective...A week ago or so, I caused my third kitchen fire trying to fry an egg.

You are a master chef.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

ECH, couple more things.

1 -- Ordered a pizza the other day, with olives, and they brought out a pizza covered with... green olives.  Is this a thing?  It was pretty gross.

2 -- Was in the market, looking for Worcestershire sauce, and I came across something called Vegan Worcestershire sauce.  Wha?  How can it be Worcestershire sauce without rotten anchovies.

Your thoughts, please.

East Coast Hustle

1) What the fuck?

2) What the FUCK?!?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Green olives on pizza?

Vegan Worcestershire sauce?

Fuck the world. Just fuck it.