News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Evolutionary biology, self-deception and politics

Started by Cain, November 27, 2011, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Even though it involves Chomsky, this is a great interview.  Killer quote:

QuoteTRIVERS: We find repeatedly now—in wasps, in birds and in monkeys—that when organisms realize they're being deceived, they get pissed off. And they often attack the deceiver. Especially if the deceiver is over-representing him or herself. If you're under-representing and showing yourself as having less dominance than you really have, you're not attacked. And the ones that do attack you are precisely those whose dominance status you are attempting to expropriate or mimic.

The Wizard Joseph

That was VERY interesting.  I'm tempted to read it out loud into my audio recorder and post it here.  Not sure if that's considered acceptable behavior here or not, but what with the voice experiments mentioned in the article I think it could be fun.

Cain do you think that the deception mechanism is really that ingrained in humanity?  Could selflessness and reason be trained into people?  It's certainly part of nature, but is it possible that realization of the deceptive nature could allow human beings to overcome the sort of intellectual blindness those two are talking about?  It seems to me that human beings have the ability to overcome, sometimes at great cost, the reflexive parts of our nature and build a better set of behaviors.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 27, 2011, 12:42:16 PM
Even though it involves Chomsky, this is a great interview.  Killer quote:

QuoteTRIVERS: We find repeatedly now—in wasps, in birds and in monkeys—that when organisms realize they're being deceived, they get pissed off. And they often attack the deceiver. Especially if the deceiver is over-representing him or herself. If you're under-representing and showing yourself as having less dominance than you really have, you're not attacked. And the ones that do attack you are precisely those whose dominance status you are attempting to expropriate or mimic.

:lulz: Holy shit, this explains EVERYTHING about the TGRR/n00b dynamic!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."