News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

It never fails to amaze me.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 05:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

People will tie themselves in a knot to avoid being wrong.  Had some guy telling me people didn't live past 30 in the middle ages.  Absolute rubbish.  I posted links demonstrating that people who survived past age 11 most often lived until age 55 (peasants) or 65 (rich folks), but the infant mortality rate of 33% (!!!) skews life expectancy numbers for the period.

Now I have them saying "people didn't know their own ages back then", and were obviously making things up to fool historians of later ages.

hxxps://www.facebook.com/Wayne.R.Zachary/posts/10153185449358152

I've been there.  Most people have.  It's like the old monkey trap, where the monkey reaches into a jug for a piece of fruit, then can't bring his fist out without dropping the fruit.  So the monkey sits there, railing about how unfair the fruit is being, until someone comes along and rounds the monkey up for medical experimentation. 

There comes a time you just gotta let go of the fruit.
Molon Lube

LMNO

That's oneof the shiniest metaphors for the "Sunken Cost Fallacy" I've seen in a while.

Nice.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 04, 2015, 05:52:26 AM
That's oneof the shiniest metaphors for the "Sunken Cost Fallacy" I've seen in a while.

Nice.

I knew there was a name for it.

In the maintenance world, we call it "riding a plan down in flames".
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

God, this is so perfect. All of the Atheist groups on Facebook need it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."