News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

LARPGASM

Started by Cramulus, August 28, 2009, 05:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Gramulus on August 28, 2009, 07:57:29 PM
Sort of like how the White Wolf universe looks just like our universe at a glance.

What?  In White Wolf, EVERYONE is some kind of supernatural shitbag.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

well except the non-players. Regular jerks on the street don't know they're living in some sort of B horror movie

Pope Pixie Pickle

A few notes on the backstory:

-the game is sending you into the real world. Sometimes you might be interacting with strangers. So our game takes place in the real world, or a close cousin of it. When you go in-game you're in a slightly altered universe. So the backstory can't make any visible changes to the world. It's still the year 2009. Obama is still the US President.
-So the modifications to the world need to be things that the average joe doesn't know about. Sort of like how the White Wolf universe looks just like our universe at a glance. You'd only know there was a difference if you were part of one of the many secret societies. Many secret societies coexist without even being aware of each other. Things like aliens and magic are also acceptable.
-The characters are aware that they're playing a game, taking orders from a website.
-So one thing we need to explain is how this website / game is framed in the context of this great discordian conspiracy we'd like to imagine exists. Does it have ties to RAW literature? The government? Or is it something else now?

:mittens:

Cain

I can't be on for Saturday.  I might write up some ideas tonight though.

LMNO

"The City" is fully available to steal from.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Gramulus on August 28, 2009, 08:01:49 PM
well except the non-players. Regular jerks on the street don't know they're living in some sort of B horror movie
No.  Everyone.

I have seen more than a few WW games, and everyone is some sort of spagernatural thingie.  Oh, and you can't possibly beat the buff-ass bad guy, you have to wait for the duex ex machina (read: another NPC) to come along and save you.  While you wait, you should explain how dark your character's life is, so you can get more exp to apply to the skills that you'll never need to use due to above NPCs.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Won't play.

But I might be convinced to write a parody after the fact.

Triple Zero

-the game is sending you into the real world. Sometimes you might be interacting with strangers. So our game takes place in the real world, or a close cousin of it. When you go in-game you're in a slightly altered universe. So the backstory can't make any visible changes to the world. It's still the year 2009. The Smiler is still the US President.

fixed.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 28, 2009, 10:22:45 PM
-the game is sending you into the real world. Sometimes you might be interacting with strangers. So our game takes place in the real world, or a close cousin of it. When you go in-game you're in a slightly altered universe. So the backstory can't make any visible changes to the world. It's still the year 2009. The Smiler is still the US President.

fixed.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Captain Utopia

Trying to hash out a rough requirement spec for the software. I've made some assumptions based upon what I think would be easier to implement.

• Assignable titles/tags to individuals and groups - e.g. "everyone", "member of LDD", "Polyfather", "member:Enki" etc
  • Finer-grained view/edit privileges for content such as blogs or missions would be based on above titles
  • Functional roles - e.g. who decides whether a member has completed a mission - determined either by title, process or a named individual
  • Simple defined 'processes' to begin with - e.g. "true" if more than X% of "title" vote for it
  • A mission has functional roles required to operate it: ownership, editing, judges, etc
  • A group/faction has similar functional roles as a mission - e.g. ownership can be determined by election or by dictatorship
  • Read permissions can also apply to information such as who fills the functional roles

The last one is a nod to Cain - so your faction might not reveal who is pulling the strings, or it might flat-out lie - it may pretend to be a democracy, for example.

If it sounds complex, bear in mind that the default actions and roles would be identical to those laid out already. Allowing the creation of titles and rulesets allows people to make it as intricate as they wish though.

For example - if a faction is able to create disinformation about their internal data, then rival factions might be able to spend ballots on "spies" - a bit of software which reveals a secret (or entirely bogus) information. So if your faction leader finds out that the ownership of LDD is not democratic, but actually the illuminaii, they may make that information available to any "title/s" they wish, or keep it to themselves.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2009, 08:05:19 PM
I can't be on for Saturday.  I might write up some ideas tonight though.

Computer went weird and crashed on me last night.  I spent 6 hours waiting for the battery to drain, then fell asleep.

On the other hand, I may be available tonight.

Pope Pixie Pickle

we've been sorting it out  on etherpad also...

http://etherpad.com/LARPGASM

Telarus

I wonder if we can find some way of embedding the One-Line Meme Bomb database tool into the NING site. That's be a handy resource to have at your fingertips over there, and the extra exposure would mean more votes and culling of the best meme bombs.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Cramulus