News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Pot/drugs: An all-encompassing explanation.

Started by Doktor Howl, February 15, 2010, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

I started as a recreational user of weed many many years ago and after a bereavement in 2001 where I dropped from a UK size 14 to a size 8 and lost a whole cup size offa mah bewbs so my mates would get me stoned to make me eat and then fell into psychological addiction territory.  Despite the psychosis I still miss it but I have to clean up and beat the addiction and figure out what actually caused the mentals before ever toking again and I need to be sure that it is not the cause of my detatchment from reality and be sure it won't rule my life ever again.
Then again if they developed an anti psychotic strain I'd be well up for being a guinea pig for that!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 16, 2010, 08:36:04 AM
yay! lets beat up on the pothead because we do not agree with his ways of enjoying himself!  :|

wut

The pothead stated he wanted a discussion on the fucking subject.  So I started the cunting thing.

Now I'm beating up on him.   :|

Fuck this noise.  No, seriously.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 16, 2010, 09:27:38 AM
Quote from: Khara on Hiatus on February 16, 2010, 12:02:01 AM
Then about 8 years ago I was diagnosed with RA. I'm to the point now there isn't much left that helps.  So I admit, when it's so bad I can't get out of bed, I'll track down a bag, smoke a joint and I can actually walk around without the cane on one side and a kid on the other. When 4 percocet do NOTHING you try other shit.

not sure what RA is (rheumatic arthritis? something very painful, anyway), but this always amazes me.

does the pain-relieving effect of weed only work for muscle or joint pains or something?

I do believe you but I seriously have never noticed pain relief effects from weed. But then, I'm not often in a lot of pain. Maybe I should try it when I have muscle ache from running too much the previous day.

Doesn't really matter I just think it's amazing that it's such an incredible help for people with such bad pains.

I think weed helps with any kind of pain because it distracts you.  It may not have a neurological basis like narcotics do but it still makes it so you mind the pain less and can function.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 16, 2010, 02:51:25 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 16, 2010, 02:11:38 PM
I drink.  I probably drink too much.  Scratch that.  I know I drink too much.  I've been scaling back, but I doubt I'll ever hit zero.  Because I like the alcohol buzz.  Not the shitfaced drunk beyond belief roomspins and vomit and lack of coherent speech, but the buzz.  I also like the taste of many alcohols.  I also am somewhat socially introverted, and an alcohol buzz often pushes me over that small inhibition. Yeah, I can do it sober too, and I'm probably using that as an excuse to get buzzed. 

I totally hear where you're coming from LMNO. I too, love the buzz, and the taste of that first cold beer on a hot summer afternoon, or a glass of pretty good vodka. I gotta say, living together with a girl that will tell me once in a while that I shouldn't drink during the day, or something, but -thank god- doesn't make a big deal out of it, has helped tremendous lots. Used to drink every day (ok, college life, but still), and now .. um, well and now not :) I do have to say the big thing about it is still that I, as I have ever, never keep alcohol in the house. I'd be buying myself silly because I do not seem to have the willpower to not drink it up little by little every day. But the supermarket is just too closeby, so it's not 100% proof :)

I wonder about the social inhibition thing though, LMNO. Because you speak of that little buzz. It sounds a bit like placebo to me, because I think the change in your mind between not in a social situation and being actively engaged in conversation with friends, seems to me a lot bigger than what this small buzz can cause.
I mean, yeah I totally understand using it as an excuse to consume alcohol. I do the same thing, but it's more straightforward to cut out the middle man, don't you think? I go "Ok I'm out with friends, this is a time when it's socially accepted to get buzzed, yay!". To think you need it in order to be less introvert, that's just a silly thing to get hung up on. Not silly because it makes you drink more, but silly because of painting a connection that doesn't need to be there.

Alcohol as a funny hat, ITT
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 16, 2010, 06:34:59 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 16, 2010, 09:15:33 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 15, 2010, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 15, 2010, 10:16:25 PM
Quote from: Fredamir Putin on February 15, 2010, 10:06:49 PMOH WAIT i do drink alot of caffeine....i dont really count that tho, but i will hike through snow drifts to get my coffee. that EFFORT is necessary otherwise my brain explodes.

Caffeine is definitely drugs.

Yep, and a startlingly powerful one, as proven by the actual debilitating effects of death coffee.

Okay then, serious question, I think about this a lot of the time.

A lot of people say they need caffeine (coffee usually) to "get their day started".

(However, if you drink coffee every day, tolerance occurs, and the alertness effects wane in relation to the side effects.)

Now, the OP says that unless you're doing drugs simply for entertainment or actual medical purposes, you're deluding yourself. Especially if you claim you "need them to be able to work".

Now don't jump on me right away, I'm serious. And I wonder about it a lot. So many people consume caffeine. Apart from the obvious withdrawal effects (headaches), to what extent do all these people really need caffeine to be able to function?

There are people that do not consume caffeine, are they significantly less efficient?

Are there actually any effects of caffeine on the personality? I have repeatedly observed friends that, when in a period they smoke pot every day, get significantly more cranky, depressed or bored, regardless of whether they're stoned at that moment, but just as a sort of background effect. I'm noticing the same thing with dex (about which I posted in another thread) which I quit for a week now, and I already feel a lot more "easy-going" (in a good way). I bet that people that drink 3+ alcohol units every day slightly change personality as well.

Does caffeine affect personality? Or does the tolerance effect prevent this, perhaps?

This is addiction, if you need a drug to function normally you are addicted.  I would say that yes Coffee does effect people's personality, but it isn't when they have the coffee that they are effected, it is when they don't, they get logy, cranky, and less quick witted.

Same is true of cigarettes, although someone going through nicotene withdrawal isn't as sleepy as someone going through caffeine withdrawal.

The other drug this is true of (in the long term) is Heroin, I have known junkies who were fine as long as they had their fix, mind you it was destroying them slowly physically, but mentally they were fine, but if they didin't have their fix they lost their shit.

bolded part is bullshit. Turns out, heroin is the absolute least physically destructive of the common recreational drugs, in the sense that the drug itself causes almost no long-term physiological damage (provided, of course, that you don't take too much at once). Most physical degradation in heroin abusers comes from inevitable lack of attention to hygiene, lack of proper nutrition, and disease/infection associated with intravenous use (cotton fever, AIDS, etc.) All other things being equal, heroin itself basically isn't physically harmful at all.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

of course, the above post should in no way be construed as an endorsement of recreational heroin use. There are few things in teh entire world more worthless than an opiate junkie.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

@FP:

Fucking your head up with an intent to do internal research as to what happens when you fuck your head up, and attempting to reach a deeper understanding of what your head does is fine.

Although if you're not doing harcore meditiations, Calculating hardcore physics problems, studying martial arts, learning a musical instrument, writing poetry, and playing grandmaster-level chess at the same time, for the same reasons, you're not actually reaching a deeper undertsanding: You're just getting fucked up.

LMNO
-Multiple models means multiple fucking models.

tokinGLX

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2010, 06:45:18 PM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 16, 2010, 08:36:04 AM
yay! lets beat up on the pothead because we do not agree with his ways of enjoying himself!  :|

wut

The pothead stated he wanted a discussion on the fucking subject.  So I started the cunting thing.

Now I'm beating up on him.   :|

oh i fully appreciate the fact that you started a pot/drugs thread, but i didnt realize that you wanted to join in with a discussion about it.  it just appeared that you wanted to state the reasons that people use drugs and that was that.    

im not here to argue with people in order to change their opinion.  facts can be argued, but some opinions are forged into peoples brains.  trying to force them to change their opinion rarely solves anything.  

my take on drugs.
i like pot.  i like the way it makes me feel.
smoked it for the first time when i was 22.  when i found out that it made me sleep at night, it gave me an appetite during the day, plus it helped me be more social among both friends and strangers i kicked myself for not starting earlier in my life.  
i am a legal patient here in colorado, but even before being legal paranoia was never a side effect of smoking for me.  in fact, when high, i was less paranoid about certain things.
i am natually hyper. i have a high metabolism and my mind is always racing. pot helps me slow down so i can concentrate on things, it makes me stutter and fidget less.  

i love mushrooms.  dont come across them often, dont really look for them tho.  but once every couple years i will take a good trip and afterwards i will feel satisfied.   weed can intensify wanderlust, but mushrooms will quench it.  

peyote/mescaline is even more rare than mushrooms, but it is the only other illicit drug i condone.   ...other natural psychadelics also fit into this category, i just have no personal experience with them.

coffee/caffeine i have every now and then.  drank way too much in high school, backed off almost completely shortly afterward.  

alcohol i consume in small quantities.  2-3 beers a night, once every couple of weeks.
coke, heronie, meth, e, cigarettes, all of that shit i cant stand.  i wont stand in the way of somebody who wants to have a good time with their drug of choice, but it is not for me.  
...then bob said, "let there be slack," and there was.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tokinGLX on February 16, 2010, 07:42:47 PM
oh i fully appreciate the fact that you started a pot/drugs thread, but i didnt realize that you wanted to join in with a discussion about it.  it just appeared that you wanted to state the reasons that people use drugs and that was that.    

Um, that's how we fucking do things around here.  One person rants, then EVERYONE who's interested (including the OP) argues about it for a few days.

Quote from: tokinGLX on February 16, 2010, 07:42:47 PM
im not here to argue with people in order to change their opinion.  facts can be argued, but some opinions are forged into peoples brains.  trying to force them to change their opinion rarely solves anything.  

I wish you'd said something, then.  I wouldn't have wasted my time writing the OP, if you're just here for a wank.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 16, 2010, 07:43:51 PM
Quotewut

Now I'm beating up on him.   neutral

sorry, I must have misinterpreted. my bad.

It's okay.  It's not like the little freak joined in (until now) on the thread he requested or anything.
Molon Lube

Bella

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 16, 2010, 09:27:38 AM

does the pain-relieving effect of weed only work for muscle or joint pains or something?

I do believe you but I seriously have never noticed pain relief effects from weed. But then, I'm not often in a lot of pain. Maybe I should try it when I have muscle ache from running too much the previous day.

Doesn't really matter I just think it's amazing that it's such an incredible help for people with such bad pains.

It's amazing to me, too. Three joints a day makes it so I can move around without hurting and lets me sleep at night without waking up every hour or so from pain. I haven't taken any aspirin or tylenol in months and don't have to take prescription pain pills of any kind anymore. I'll never again go without it.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

tokinGLX

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2010, 07:47:24 PM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 16, 2010, 07:43:51 PM
Quotewut

Now I'm beating up on him.   neutral

sorry, I must have misinterpreted. my bad.

It's okay.  It's not like the little freak joined in (until now) on the thread he requested or anything.
been busy.  plus there hasnt been much to respond to.  
didnt really request it either, not sure how you got that out of me saying that i am always up for discussion about it...  theres more to life than weed threads on the internets, man.  
i frequent enough pot forums to satisfy my desire to post about pot all day.  non pot forums with a strong off topic section have usually hashed out the pot talk enough times for most people.  when a pot thread is there, tho, i will be reading it and you can count on me joining in when i have something to say.  

/pot thread can has high definition(720p) pot video¿
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVG6z_XcBi4
...then bob said, "let there be slack," and there was.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tokinGLX on February 16, 2010, 08:02:46 PM

been busy.

Bullshit.  You were posting in the intros thread.

plus there hasnt been much to respond to.  

Okay, fuck you then.  Asshole.  Don't ever expect more than a nasty one-liner out of me ever again, you piece of shit.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

didnt really request it either, not sure how you got that out of me saying that i am always up for discussion about it...  

You are a fucking liar.

Eat a dick.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Lastly...

theres more to life than weed threads on the internets, man.  

Then you should go do these things.  Elsewhere.
Molon Lube