News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Do you tell others about your philosophy or 'let sleeping dogs lie'?

Started by zackli, July 20, 2014, 10:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

As for my philosophy...it is hard to seperate it from the rest of me. It all comes out whether I want it or not.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

hooplala

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on July 29, 2014, 10:55:41 PM
Hey, i'm curious does anyone else dabble in chaos magic? I've only read sigil magic seminar, and i've played around with it a bit. If nothing else, i find it helps ease anxiety. Like, if i'm worrying too much about something out of my control, i can fire a sigil so at least i can tell the doubts in my head that i "did" something about it.

I use it extensively to assist my own writing.  No complaints so far.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

hooplala

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on July 30, 2014, 05:27:39 PM
How's that work?

If I can't decide how something should go in a given work project, I do some sort of divination to help me find out what happened, be it with cards, scrying in a black mirror, what have you.  Has never let me down so far.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Hoopla on July 28, 2014, 02:10:04 PM
Quote from: zackli on July 20, 2014, 10:58:48 PM
I can see benefits to both sides... Personally, I don't tell most people as it isn't really a topic that comes up in conversation. I've actually only told one person I know about my personal philosophy, and it's only because she has a very similar philosophy. My inner circle of friends has a pretty limited grasp of my indifference, but that's only because they've known me for years and things sometimes come out inadvertently.

What about you guys? Does your family know? I'm sure it would make for a nice dinner conversation with some more conservative parents.

"Telling" people about your philosophy is pointless.  You might as well dance your sculpture.  You might as well sing your cooking.

The simple best advice for writing also applies to philosophy: show, don't tell.

Live your philosophy.  Be your philosophy.

If they are receptive, by your own actions, they will learn.

Well said.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

wudgar

I only tell those who would benefit the most, or would be upset the most. It's funny when they froth at the mouth.
Shameless whoring; www.zazzle.com/wudgar

minuspace

Can the sigil be used for more than just taking out the trash?
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on July 29, 2014, 10:55:41 PM
Hey, i'm curious does anyone else dabble in chaos magic? I've only read sigil magic seminar, and i've played around with it a bit. If nothing else, i find it helps ease anxiety. Like, if i'm worrying too much about something out of my control, i can fire a sigil so at least i can tell the doubts in my head that i "did" something about it.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

minuspace

I remember reading some comics artist from the UK used them extensively.  Then in Eugene once, reveling with bass mutants, I met this cat said he tried to constantly visualize a rather large mandala/sigil around him in space/time.  Blew my mind :?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LuciferX on July 27, 2014, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: Regret on July 21, 2014, 12:50:11 AM
Well yeah, what's the point of a philosophy if you don't act on it?
Think about it :lulz:
Sooo, Solipsism? Or just plain mental fappery?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

minuspace

Quote from: Regret on August 02, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on July 27, 2014, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: Regret on July 21, 2014, 12:50:11 AM
Well yeah, what's the point of a philosophy if you don't act on it?
Think about it :lulz:
Sooo, Solipsism? Or just plain mental fappery?

I do not find Solipsism a valid position and the distinction between thought and action is just a false dichotomy :wink:

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Net (+1 Hidden) and 5 guests on July 31, 2014, 06:27:19 AM
I can see benefits to both sides... Personally, I don't tell most people as it isn't really a topic that comes up in conversation. I've actually only told one person I know about my personal philosophy, and it's only because she has a very similar philosophy. My inner circle of friends has a pretty limited grasp of my indifference, but that's only because they've known me for years and things sometimes come out inadvertently.

What about you guys? Does your family know? I'm sure it would make for a nice dinner conversation with some more conservative parents.

"Telling" people about your philosophy is pointless.  You might as well dance your sculpture.  You might as well sing your cooking.

The simple best advice for writing also applies to philosophy: show, don't tell.

Well said.
jumping off of this, Do you guys ever randomly encounter people who, in your opinion, have the whole Discordia thing down without ever having heard of it? I have been lucky enough to run into a few friends like this, and it makes for interesting discussion. I like to think of them as Free Range Popes.  :lulz:

minuspace

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on August 05, 2014, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: Net (+1 Hidden) and 5 guests on July 31, 2014, 06:27:19 AM

Well said.
jumping off of this, Do you guys ever randomly encounter people who, in your opinion, have the whole Discordia thing down without ever having heard of it? I have been lucky enough to run into a few friends like this, and it makes for interesting discussion. I like to think of them as Free Range Popes.  :lulz:
Great with a dash of ranch dressing, right :lulz:

Chelagoras The Boulder

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: LuciferX on August 01, 2014, 06:40:10 AM
I remember reading some comics artist from the UK used them extensively.  Then in Eugene once, reveling with bass mutants, I met this cat said he tried to constantly visualize a rather large mandala/sigil around him in space/time.  Blew my mind :?
Frankly, my mind would have been blown when the cat started talking to me
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.