News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Started by Don Coyote, January 17, 2012, 02:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Has anyone heard of this game yet?

From the site http://reckoning.amalur.com/
QuoteWhat is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning™?

Reckoning is an epic, open world role-playing game that gives fans their first experience with Kingdoms of Amalur™, a new universe imagined by R. A. Salvatore, brought to life by Todd McFarlane, and designed by Ken Rolston and his team at Big Huge Games.

I watched their demo video of combat. It's pretty, and cartoony, sort of like WoW. There is a demo coming out tomorrow.

Telarus

Neat. R.A Salvatore was pretty let down at what they did to the Forgotten Realms in 4th Ed (from some rumors I've heard).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

Stuff looks slightly less standard fantasy, with a dash of comically huge weapons and PAULDRONS.

Telarus

I haven't seen anything else from 38studios or Big Huge Games (tho they did to an x-box port of Settlers of Catan).

17+ graphic content warning (interesting......  you're cutting off a portion of your market there). Customizable collectables in the Limited Edition box (an interesting concept... what with the 3d print discussions).

Ok, now I've watched the Combat and Animation video.

Very interesting concept. An open arena Mortal-Kombat/Soul Caliber style chain-combo system (without specific button combos to memorize). For an Action-PRG, it's a good fit, but the solid, readable animations (plus effects) sell the combo system. Very interesting from a game design perspective, I'd recommend anyone interested to watch the videos.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Don Coyote

Bear in mind that Skyrim has an M rating as well. Having re-watched the combat video, it does look promising if combat with boss type enemies involves more than standing still, one my issues with Skyrim.

ETA: The only drawbacks from my perspective are the comically large hammers and the shiny effects of your weapon swings. It looks too much like an MMO to me.

Don Coyote

Demo is up on Steam and Origin for the PC. Downloading it right now. More to follow.

kingyak

Salvatore AND McFarlane? Shame the name "Hackmaster" is already taken.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Don Coyote

Quote from: kingyak on January 17, 2012, 09:15:42 PM
Salvatore AND McFarlane? Shame the name "Hackmaster" is already taken.

:lulz:

ETA: I get why it should be funny, but this might another time I am glad I know less about a type of geekdom than I do.

kingyak

For anyone who wants the 'splaining, McFarlane drug out what should have been at most a 12-issue comic for something like 9000 issues and I'm not sure if he ever actually resolved the initial storyline (and, from all indications, is also a giant douchebag) and Salvatore's been recycling stories about the same character since I was in high school (I graduated in '91).
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Don Coyote

I am not terribly impressed by the game demo. Very cartoony, but yet a mature rating. I think I saw some blood. The sneak attack animations are pretty badass. You can change your face but that is it. Seem like all men will have super buff chests that look comically so. I didn't care for the controls, but I was playing the demo on the PC and didn't bother setting up my controller for the demo. The demo being timed once you get to a certain point was also bullshit. I get that they don't want the player to see too much, but there there already areas I couldn't go to because I was playing the demo. I didn't care for lockpicking or the magical equivalent. I didn't notice any kind of feed back with lockpicking other than breaking picks. The wardbreaking was weird. I wouldn't say it's terrible, but I won't be buying when it comes out, maybe if I see it on sale on steam for $15.

ETA: Just remembered something else I didn't like. Your shield is only used when you block, and is other wise hidden or stashed away. It sort of broke immersion a bit for me.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Cain

If you want to see someone playing this game over the long-term, I suggest checking out http://www.youtube.com/playlist?src_vid=_hUOrc9CUfQ&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_513375&list=PL16777C234CFDBB69

My impression is that the violence is cartoonish, the voice-acting is pretty bad and that most of your missions are fetch and return or else killing lots of things.

On the plus side, the combat does look fun, and if you're not looking for any in-depth story or anything, spending an hour killing things might be a not entirely terrible use of your time.

Luna

Apparently, the company that produced this went belly up and fired everybody.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

38 Studios, yes.  To be fair, it was the only game they had ever worked on, so even a moderate success wasn't going to do them much good.  The reviews were mostly of a "meh" variety as well, barring a few odd rave reviews from the likes of IGN.