News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

The Problem with the Paleo diet.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 29, 2013, 06:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of many problems, actually, that I have with almost any time people start a sentence with "Humans evolved to...", including myself. Seriously, I will punch myself in the face.

HUMANS DIDN'T JUST MAGICALLY STOP EVOLVING 10,000 YEARS AGO.

WE'RE STILL DOING IT. It's an ongoing process.

Anyway. Peeve aired. Carry on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 29, 2013, 06:49:20 PM
One of many problems, actually, that I have with almost any time people start a sentence with "Humans evolved to...", including myself. Seriously, I will punch myself in the face.

I've heard otherwise intelligent people claim that we stopped evolving when we started changing our environment.  Which is fucking stupid, because it implies that:

1.  The world is static, and
2.  The changes we have made (farming, etc) did not ALSO create selective pressures.

Hell, one major evolutionary drive has been the sword.  My reach > Yours, I breed, you don't.  Not a universal effect, but an effect all the same.

So, yeah.  Paleo diet shit is like saying we should go back to running our prey down on the savannah instead of using animal husbandry. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I thought the problem was "IDIOTS NEED A FAD DIET TO TELL THEM TO EAT MORE DAMN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES."

Salty

There's just whole libraries filled with information that impedes the natural movement of the mind when it tries to say, "I'll base my current actions off what I THINK* happened to humans thousands of years ago!"

*Or what other people think.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Humans evolved to shit in their hands and draw animals on cave walls.
There is money to be made from that idea, I just haven't worked out the details.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Kai

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 29, 2013, 06:49:20 PM

Indeed. Furthermore, much of our digestive ability comes from epigenetic effects, namely, our gut microbiomes. Even /without/ that, lactase production in adults is a relatively recent adaptation. Nomadic herders who had this mutation reproduced more, and thus it became widespread.

If I have one more person tell me that grains are evil and that my diet should consist of artificially constructed food scenarios for 25 thousand year old paleolithic hunter gatherers, I am going to go all Green Revolution on their asses.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

I'm on a low-carb paleoish diet because I wanted to. I had a carb-heavy lifestyle and I was getting too close to 200lbs for my comfort.

I'm not doing it because of a fad, I'm doing it to lose fucking weight, damnit. And I can't stand it when I get the preachy types trying to alter what is currently working for me. No, leave me alone. I'm losing. My ass is 8" smaller than it was on Memorial Day. I'm back in size 12's for the first time since 2009. I'm working my ass off to do this. I don't care about evolution, or what we should or should not be eating, all I know is that this is what is good for me right now.

...I especially can't stand  the Gluten-Free Mafia.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on October 30, 2013, 12:41:18 AM
I'm on a low-carb paleoish diet because I wanted to. I had a carb-heavy lifestyle and I was getting too close to 200lbs for my comfort.

I'm not doing it because of a fad, I'm doing it to lose fucking weight, damnit. And I can't stand it when I get the preachy types trying to alter what is currently working for me. No, leave me alone. I'm losing. My ass is 8" smaller than it was on Memorial Day. I'm back in size 12's for the first time since 2009. I'm working my ass off to do this. I don't care about evolution, or what we should or should not be eating, all I know is that this is what is good for me right now.

You also aren't preaching at us that this is how humans are supposed to eat.

Notice the subtle distinction.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Ben Shapiro

Your BF and I will pour a 40oz over a curb in memory of those 8 inches.

Ben Shapiro

50% Protein 35% Fat and 15% Carbs is working for me. Found out I was being retarded consuming only 1200 a day. My lean body mass demands 2700 calories. So I went up to 1700 calories a day. Feels good man, and I have more energy even with my multivitamin. For dinner I had a sandwich with 2 slices of munster cheese and 5 slices of hard salami, and 1/4lb of onions and a pickle spear. I regret nothing and I feel great!

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 30, 2013, 01:11:15 AM

No. I'm joining in on the goddamn rant fest though. Because this shit makes me fume.

The first thing people ask me is if I'm eating gluten-free. And when I tell them that I have eliminated wheat, but I am not specifically avoiding gluten (it is, after all, a protein) I get this amazing, poorly researching diatribe on the benefits of going gluten-free rather than the general reduction of all complex carbohydrates. I think Nigel had a gluten-free rant like this a few years ago. You can't just go GF and expect to lose weight. Sure, you're reducing some calories, but hell, sugar is gluten-free. Rice is gluten-free, which gives you all sorts of reasons to still eat like crap when you think you're benefiting yourself by jumping on some bandwagon that only exists because of a serious allergy. Yes, Celiac Sprue does run in my family, I have been tested, but I don't have it.

What I also cannot stand with the "paleo" crowd, is that my recipes are never good enough. Or, anytime I post something about food or discovering a new meal on something like Facebook, I get a barrage of negativity thrown my way. Way too much of, "UR DOING IT WRONG" without any rhyme or reason, and it annoys the shit out of it. I got excited over finding low-carb hot chocolate at the grocery store last week, and I got insulted for even trying it. The community is full of a bunch of self-serving know-it-all's that make Requia look civil.

The bottom line I've discovered, is that if I don't stop through CSAs or WholePaycheck, and spend hundreds on organic non-GMO overpriced kale, I'm just not "paleo enough."  This is why I just tell people I'm on a ketogenic diet. It sounds more medical and less "I found this on the internet."

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Mr. Bear on October 30, 2013, 01:20:47 AM

Your BF and I will pour a 40oz over a curb in memory of those 8 inches.

You have no idea.  :lulz: He went to grab my hips a couple of weeks ago and I thought he was going to start crying.  :lulz:

I was unhealthy and unhappy though, and he understands that.

Quote from: Mr. Bear on October 30, 2013, 01:25:12 AM
50% Protein 35% Fat and 15% Carbs is working for me. Found out I was being retarded consuming only 1200 a day. My lean body mass demands 2700 calories. So I went up to 1700 calories a day. Feels good man, and I have more energy even with my multivitamin. For dinner I had a sandwich with 2 slices of munster cheese and 5 slices of hard salami, and 1/4lb of onions and a pickle spear. I regret nothing and I feel great!

I learned that the hard way when I first started. You cannot go BELOW a certain amount of calories a day. Your body won't budge. It took me a bit to get adjusted, but I'm eating more now than I was pre-diet.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Suu on October 30, 2013, 01:28:20 AM

No. I'm joining in on the goddamn rant fest though. Because this shit makes me fume.

The first thing people ask me is if I'm eating gluten-free. And when I tell them that I have eliminated wheat, but I am not specifically avoiding gluten (it is, after all, a protein) I get this amazing, poorly researching diatribe on the benefits of going gluten-free rather than the general reduction of all complex carbohydrates. I think Nigel had a gluten-free rant like this a few years ago. You can't just go GF and expect to lose weight. Sure, you're reducing some calories, but hell, sugar is gluten-free. Rice is gluten-free, which gives you all sorts of reasons to still eat like crap when you think you're benefiting yourself by jumping on some bandwagon that only exists because of a serious allergy. Yes, Celiac Sprue does run in my family, I have been tested, but I don't have it.

What I also cannot stand with the "paleo" crowd, is that my recipes are never good enough. Or, anytime I post something about food or discovering a new meal on something like Facebook, I get a barrage of negativity thrown my way. Way too much of, "UR DOING IT WRONG" without any rhyme or reason, and it annoys the shit out of it. I got excited over finding low-carb hot chocolate at the grocery store last week, and I got insulted for even trying it. The community is full of a bunch of self-serving know-it-all's that make Requia look civil.

The bottom line I've discovered, is that if I don't stop through CSAs or WholePaycheck, and spend hundreds on organic non-GMO overpriced kale, I'm just not "paleo enough." This is why I just tell people I'm on a ketogenic diet. It sounds more medical and less "I found this on the internet."

THIS! SHIT IN THEIR MOUTH!

Ben Shapiro

Basically I avoid cooking with anything with MSG and HFC. My brother has lost 20lbs , and Binks is getting toned just by me cooking for them. They're debating do they like my Cheese Burger soup, or Supreme Pizza Soup more. I'm not going to spend $4/lb for Organic potatoes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on October 30, 2013, 01:28:20 AM

The bottom line I've discovered, is that if I don't stop through CSAs or WholePaycheck, and spend hundreds on organic non-GMO overpriced kale, I'm just not "paleo enough."  This is why I just tell people I'm on a ketogenic diet. It sounds more medical and less "I found this on the internet."

Point me at these threads.  I have urges.