News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

I just saw something REALLY cool!

Started by East Coast Hustle, January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

So there are literally hundreds of mahi mahi schooling around the boat right now. Our junior engineer caught 5 of them in about 15 minutes. He's been beheading them and then rinsing the blood off the deck with predictable results.

Those results being that I just got to watch a rather large whitetip shark (I'd guess it was 8-10 feet) come rocketing up from the deep and eat one of the larger mahi mahi that was swimming around in our stern lights. That was some serious National Geographic shit!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM
So there are literally hundreds of mahi mahi schooling around the boat right now. Our junior engineer caught 5 of them in about 15 minutes. He's been beheading them and then rinsing the blood off the deck with predictable results.

Those results being that I just got to watch a rather large whitetip shark (I'd guess it was 8-10 feet) come rocketing up from the deep and eat one of the larger mahi mahi that was swimming around in our stern lights. That was some serious National Geographic shit!

:eek: Sounds fucking epic, and I bet no one caught footage of it.

East Coast Hustle

Nah, my phone doesn't work down here so I keep it on airplane mode and leave it in my cabin as an alarm clock so I wouldn't have been able to catch it even if I had had enough warning that it was going to happen. Probably never get that lucky again but I'll start bringing it out on deck with me at night when I go out for a smoke from now on.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Richter

Damn, nice.  Life just goes zero to awesome sometimes, especially when nature/ocean are involved.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

navkat

I would have "emptied my orange sack" in my pance from terror.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Luna

Quote from: navkat on January 18, 2012, 04:56:56 AM
I would have "emptied my orange sack" in my pance from terror.

Yeah, truth be told, pretty much this, right here.

Awesome and terror can, sometimes, go hand in hand.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

navkat

Right??? I'd be like "Shark does NOT BELONG UP HERE."
Something about Jaws making himself comfortable in my personal space, grabbing a snack.

East Coast Hustle

Well it wasn't like I was in the water with them. And any shark that can leap up over our gunwale to take a bite out of me probably deserves to win.

East Coast Hustle

I told the captain about it this morning and without missing a beat he turns to me with this dead-serious look in his eyes and says "We're going to need a bigger boat."

Cramulus

:lulz:

that's really awesome

I'd love to see more pix of what the world looks like from your boat

East Coast Hustle

Unfortunately when we're working at AUTEC I'm very limited in when and where I can take pictures, and what I can take them of. The stuff we have hanging off the stern for this job is classified so at best they'd throw my phone overboard if they caught me taking pics, at worst I could be barred from AUTEC and/or even prosecuted. But when we head back north next month I'll try to get some good pics. Our next job is going to be 130 miles offshore out by Hudson Canyon in the middle of february so I'll probably be able to get some good pics of the times this job is the exact opposite of fun.

Kai

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 18, 2012, 01:56:04 PM
I told the captain about it this morning and without missing a beat he turns to me with this dead-serious look in his eyes and says "We're going to need a bigger boat."

Props if he turned right around and started singing "Spanish Ladies".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Dysfunctional Cunt

mmmmmmm mahi mahi....  you can't blame the shark.   :lulz:

I'm surprised there aren't cameras monitoring the water around the boat to begin with.  It's a research vessel right?  Maybe I misunderstood.  :sad:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM

You guys have been murdering Central Africans and LAUGHING about it? 

YOU'RE BAD PEOPLE!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.