News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Life in the Age of Dumb, part 1: They All Drowned.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 07, 2004, 08:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malaul

well lemme point this out to  bella and rog...

the chicken lived
ever seen a chicken fly?
not a pretty site lemme tell ya,,,
but it knows the air...

this tin can you are going in, it cant fly so well either bu5

you get the idea...

so I say go ahead and be chicken,. and youll both be ok
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: gnimbleyWelcome back, Rog. What's all this ******** about you being innocent?
Didn't the grandjury ... oops, I wasn't supposed to talk about that, was I?
Sorry.

No conviction, no foul.

EOS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trollax

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger"Eleven Egyptians drowned in a well yesterday, in the small town of Nuweiba, in the Sinai Peninsula, while attempting to rescue a chicken.  The chicken survived."
- AP, 1994, as quoted by the Fortean Times.

Some people, it seems, are too dumb to live...and my new co-worker, Rick, is one of them.  Rick is a forty-Fiftyish pilot that flies one of the Beech 18s that I maintain (yes, the Good Reverend has arrived, and is already gainfully employed, back in my original field of mechanical work).

Now, understand that the Beech 18 is a pig.  It really doesn't like to fly, and will do just about anything it can to achieve "an undesirable aircraft/ground interface".  It does strange things, like stalling, for no apparent reason...how's THAT for a comforting notion...there are HUNDREDS of these clunkers still in service, and odds are one flies over your house once a week, if not more.  One minute, you are minding your own business, watching "HeeHaw" on Nick at Night, and the next an antique POS falls through your roof and kills you.  Are you ready for that?  Are you ready to be front page news, in a story that involves the words "closed casket"?

Who can explain these types of things?  Not Rick, he's an idiot.  Not the drooling redneck kind of idiot, but rather a man with NO sense of self-preservation.  Apparently, Rick was involved in some South of the border monkey business back in the 80s, and became an adrenaline junkie.  I've seen this type of thing before...mostly in the army, but other places, too.

Rick takes truly foolish chances with the venerable Beech, such as flying through storms to cut time off of his trip...Our company's prime cargo being newspapers...which "age" quickly.  

I've worked with Rick for exactly one (1) day, and I'm more than a little nervous.  As a flightline mechanic, the small company I work for requires that we mechanics get some flight time in on the aircraft we maintain...sort of a QA thing, I guess.  This means that eventually, I'll have to fly with Rick.

He's a nice enough guy, and a good conversationalist, but I have to fly with this guy.

In other words, I have to fly with this guy.

Any more chickens in that well?

Or kill me.

Don't die on us Rog, you could always try and get him fired. I'm sure you have a few tricks up your voluminous sleeve...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODD
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger"Eleven Egyptians drowned in a well yesterday, in the small town of Nuweiba, in the Sinai Peninsula, while attempting to rescue a chicken.  The chicken survived."
- AP, 1994, as quoted by the Fortean Times.

Some people, it seems, are too dumb to live...and my new co-worker, Rick, is one of them.  Rick is a forty-Fiftyish pilot that flies one of the Beech 18s that I maintain (yes, the Good Reverend has arrived, and is already gainfully employed, back in my original field of mechanical work).

Now, understand that the Beech 18 is a pig.  It really doesn't like to fly, and will do just about anything it can to achieve "an undesirable aircraft/ground interface".  It does strange things, like stalling, for no apparent reason...how's THAT for a comforting notion...there are HUNDREDS of these clunkers still in service, and odds are one flies over your house once a week, if not more.  One minute, you are minding your own business, watching "HeeHaw" on Nick at Night, and the next an antique POS falls through your roof and kills you.  Are you ready for that?  Are you ready to be front page news, in a story that involves the words "closed casket"?

Who can explain these types of things?  Not Rick, he's an idiot.  Not the drooling redneck kind of idiot, but rather a man with NO sense of self-preservation.  Apparently, Rick was involved in some South of the border monkey business back in the 80s, and became an adrenaline junkie.  I've seen this type of thing before...mostly in the army, but other places, too.

Rick takes truly foolish chances with the venerable Beech, such as flying through storms to cut time off of his trip...Our company's prime cargo being newspapers...which "age" quickly.  

I've worked with Rick for exactly one (1) day, and I'm more than a little nervous.  As a flightline mechanic, the small company I work for requires that we mechanics get some flight time in on the aircraft we maintain...sort of a QA thing, I guess.  This means that eventually, I'll have to fly with Rick.

He's a nice enough guy, and a good conversationalist, but I have to fly with this guy.

In other words, I have to fly with this guy.

Any more chickens in that well?

Or kill me.

Don't die on us Rog, you could always try and get him fired. I'm sure you have a few tricks up your voluminous sleeve...

It has been proven to the Good Reverend's satisfaction that he cannot be killed via impact.

As for getting Rick FIRED...WTF?  He's my kinda people.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Trollax

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

It has been proven to the Good Reverend's satisfaction that he cannot be killed via impact.

Then Recruit him and turn him into a sailent individual.

The Good Reverend Roger

Then Recruit him and turn him into a sailent individual.

If half the yarns about this guy are true, HE'LL probably recruit ME.

gnimbley

You could always do as Doc Daneeka did. Of course, you could end up like the Doc, too.

Lister

So if I get this right, this guy flies a deathtrap through storms on a regular basis...  How long has he been doing this?
Because you seem to rule out the possibility that he might actually be good at this sort of thing?

If the plane is a deathtrap, who do you want to be the pilot?
The experienced nutter, who is familiar with the quirks of the plane?
Or a top-notch pilot, who is used to planes that are reliable?

The most important thing is not to show pH34r when in the plane...
If you show pH34r, he'll try more crazy stuff just to freak you out so he can call you a n00b afterwards (in jest)...
Put on a face of professional indifference, and his interest in "showing off" will diminish...
All show-offs need an audience...

If you die, then you die...
No real use in worrying...

And at least you can make sure that the plane is in order before you take off...  
Most people who died in plane crashes didn't have that privilege...
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

BADGE OF HONOR

"Chicken of the Sea"

"Tuna of the Air"

I suspect tuna fly better.  Be a tuna, man!!
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

bob-o

"the use of fasteners is to be next to godliness" - R.H.Howes

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ListerSo if I get this right, this guy flies a deathtrap through storms on a regular basis...  How long has he been doing this?
Because you seem to rule out the possibility that he might actually be good at this sort of thing?

If the plane is a deathtrap, who do you want to be the pilot?
The experienced nutter, who is familiar with the quirks of the plane?
Or a top-notch pilot, who is used to planes that are reliable?

The most important thing is not to show pH34r when in the plane...
If you show pH34r, he'll try more crazy stuff just to freak you out so he can call you a n00b afterwards (in jest)...
Put on a face of professional indifference, and his interest in "showing off" will diminish...
All show-offs need an audience...

If you die, then you die...
No real use in worrying...

And at least you can make sure that the plane is in order before you take off...  
Most people who died in plane crashes didn't have that privilege...

He's competent enough.  He just has too much faith in the POS he's flying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: bob-owelcome back good reverend.=)

Thanks.  Glad to be back.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Faith in a POS or faith in GOD...which one is worse?
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSC

Does it matter?

Trollax

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSC

Does it matter?

Wait The POS isn't god? Damn. I've got to get rid of that junkers in my back yard then...