News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Knowing we are Free

Started by Verbal Mike, June 28, 2008, 01:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

The OP is EXCELLENT!!!

The he/she/it derail is funny.  I have no issue with the basic he, mankind etc.  I think all this crap that it belittles women is just that CRAP.  It just seems to make life more difficult over something so very unimportant.  I do not feel less of a woman just because I am a part of 'mankind'. 

There are so many statements and such that can be taken "the wrong" way.  Hey guys...  then these idiot chicks get all bent with I'm not a guy.  Oh fucking please just STFU and let the man finish his talk. 

There are so many more important things to take a stand on yanno?

LMNO

"Hey guys... Bitches ain't shit, amirite!?"
   \
:mullet:

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 23, 2008, 03:30:10 PM

"When the participant finished the test, he or she would put down his or her pencil and wait for the instructor."

Actually the correct sentence is:  "When the participant finished the test, he would put down his pencil and wait for the instructor."

Efficient, no?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cramulus

BUT WHAT IF THE PARTICIPANT WAS A GRRRRL?

seriously, I would have lost points if I didn't say "his or her" and "he or she"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 23, 2008, 08:55:46 PM
BUT WHAT IF THE PARTICIPANT WAS A GRRRRL?

seriously, I would have lost points if I didn't say "his or her" and "he or she"

OH SO YOU DID WHAT THEY TOLD YOU TOO?????

:lulz:  :wink:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rumckle

I like the point about trying to remove "sexist" pronouns as Orwellian, I hadn't thought of that before. It is Plus-Good.

Also, I use guy as a gender free pronoun in its singular anyway.

If feminists didn't spend so much time on pointless grammar changing the glass ceiling probably would be gone by now.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Kai

I go by they, or sie/hir, actually....

Kai,

Is trying not to spread drama by this though.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Kai on July 24, 2008, 04:29:28 PM
I go by they, or sie/hir, actually....

Kai,

Is trying not to spread drama by this though.

I find these to be perfectly reasonable. Especially sie, because it's an actual German pronoun.

I like them much better than the "E" nonsense, which spags from across the internet have abused by using "e" when the subject is of a known gender. Also, in my mind it's just a heavily accented way of saying "he".

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on July 23, 2008, 08:43:35 PM
Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 23, 2008, 03:30:10 PM

"When the participant finished the test, he or she would put down his or her pencil and wait for the instructor."

Actually the correct sentence is:  "When the participant finished the test, he would put down his pencil and wait for the instructor."

Efficient, no?

yes!!!

Why re-write the language, it ain't broke, no need to fix it!

Those teachers who require all this newfangled mangling of the language should just stfu.  Where y'all would lose points for not using he or she, I would have lost points for adding unnecessary words...

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Rumckle on July 24, 2008, 03:36:25 AM
I like the point about trying to remove "sexist" pronouns as Orwellian, I hadn't thought of that before. It is Plus-Good.

If feminists didn't spend so much time on pointless grammar changing the glass ceiling probably would be gone by now.

DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT HERSTORY?!!!
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

tyrannosaurus vex

it used to be that when addressing a gender-unknown, you would simply use "he" and variations of it.

"his or her" is, in my opinion, just results from a bunch of whiny "but what about meeee" crap. it's a fucking pronoun. fight for wages and equality - is a pronoun really that important?

"zie/zhyr/sie/'j'/zis/etc" - not be an asshole, but... come the fuck on. i'm sorry that our language has evolved over thousands of years with certain cultural assumptions. but is fighting about a fucking pronoun really what you want to be using your energy on? if so, it's a free country (for now) so more power to you. just don't complain to me when you're blue in the face and official forms still don't have a option under gender for "other." at some point, you're going to have to accept who you are and accept that other people don't necessarily see it that way.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on July 24, 2008, 09:37:44 PM
it used to be that when addressing a gender-unknown, you would simply use "he" and variations of it.

"his or her" is, in my opinion, just results from a bunch of whiny "but what about meeee" crap. it's a fucking pronoun. fight for wages and equality - is a pronoun really that important?

"zie/zhyr/sie/'j'/zis/etc" - not be an asshole, but... come the fuck on. i'm sorry that our language has evolved over thousands of years with certain cultural assumptions. but is fighting about a fucking pronoun really what you want to be using your energy on? if so, it's a free country (for now) so more power to you. just don't complain to me when you're blue in the face and official forms still don't have a option under gender for "other." at some point, you're going to have to accept who you are and accept that other people don't necessarily see it that way.

:mittens:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rumckle

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on July 24, 2008, 07:21:55 PM
Quote from: Rumckle on July 24, 2008, 03:36:25 AM

DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT HERSTORY?!!!

No, because she's a shit writer.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Verbal Mike

Cainad, "sie" in German is either "she" or "they"... It would confuse the fuck out of German speakers to use it as gender-neutral-third-singular, and it doesn't actually make any sense. oO

Also, my conference starts today, so I'm AWOL, BAI EVERYONE.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Verbatim on July 25, 2008, 06:50:15 AM
Cainad, "sie" in German is either "she" or "they"... It would confuse the fuck out of German speakers to use it as gender-neutral-third-singular, and it doesn't actually make any sense. oO

I know, but it sounds better in my tiny American mind.