News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Grant Morrison @ Disinfocon

Started by Cramulus, April 28, 2010, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Kai on April 28, 2010, 09:25:02 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2010, 09:24:14 PM
Planting with only one breed wouldn't be very scientific, would it?

people = irrational monkeys.

That argument holds no water with me, and being that you are a scientist I find it very disappointing that you would choose to hold it when it comes to scientific matters.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Check out the potato famine.

We didn't learn anything from it, at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 28, 2010, 09:33:03 PM

Who is we?

And, it would seem to me that a statement like that should be backed up in some manner.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Kai

Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2010, 09:31:59 PM

That argument holds no water with me, and being that you are a scientist I find it very disappointing that you would choose to hold it when it comes to scientific matters.

It holds plenty of water with me. Consider this: CO2 is a clear thermoinsulator, as can be seen from the atmosphere of Venus. Human activities are pouring more CO2 into the atmosphere now than has been in a very long time. Fact: we could mitigate the effects by developing technology to clean up excess CO2 and regulate use of carbon-oxidizing fuels. Or at least turn this boat around at some point.

Are people doing this? NOOOOOOOOOOO. Despite all evidence to support above scientifically rational moves.

Science is great but application often breaks down because humans are irrational monkeys. Just because something can work, doesn't mean it will.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2010, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 28, 2010, 09:33:03 PM

Who is we?

And, it would seem to me that a statement like that should be backed up in some manner.

Here,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=monoculture

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=potato+famine

This is kind of elementary stuff.

You can also learn more about the risks of monoculture by looking up "coffee rust disease" and "banana extinction".

These, of course, are separate issues from soil-stripping farming methods.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Kai on April 28, 2010, 09:39:59 PM

It holds plenty of water with me. Consider this: CO2 is a clear thermoinsulator, as can be seen from the atmosphere of Venus. Human activities are pouring more CO2 into the atmosphere now than has been in a very long time. Fact: we could mitigate the effects by developing technology to clean up excess CO2 and regulate use of carbon-oxidizing fuels. Or at least turn this boat around at some point.

Are people doing this? NOOOOOOOOOOO. Despite all evidence to support above scientifically rational moves.

Science is great but application often breaks down because humans are irrational monkeys. Just because something can work, doesn't mean it will.

So one example proves that we are irrational monkeys?  Very scientific.

OK, I'm dropping out of this conversation at this point.  And I think I will drop out of all conversations in the future once I see any variation of the "Humans are irrational monkeys" argument.  Apparently everyone here now believes it is the perfect trump card.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

How about "Humans do irrational things with little respect for damaging long-term consequences when faced with short-term personal profit"?

That's pretty much the short story behind monoculture, as well as a lot of other really stupid moves in human history.

Kai

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 28, 2010, 09:49:13 PM
How about "Humans do irrational things with little respect for damaging long-term consequences when faced with short-term personal profit"?

That's pretty much the short story behind monoculture, as well as a lot of other really stupid moves in human history.

Bing-o.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Eater of Clowns

No, it's incredibly short sighted and stupid.

Farming science is pretty limited.  There are too many variables and not enough time to accurately test them (once per year - the planting season).  Taking into account soil loss, soil nutrients, weather patterns, pest activity, etc, all of which is only predictable on a limited basis.  This isn't even mentioning previous patterns of weather that are now changing due to global warming/climate change/global weirding whatever you want to call it.  What works once isn't guaranteed to work again.

Farming is also a business.  What makes sense and is responsible is disregarded in favor of what's profitable - vast monocultures of corn in the US, etc. 
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

How many strains of Roundup Ready soybeans does Monsanto offer?

Doktor Howl

There is nothing unscientific about the fact that people in groups are irrational.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2010, 09:46:41 PM

OK, I'm dropping out of this conversation at this point.  

Oh, for fuck's sake.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on April 28, 2010, 10:40:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 10:39:31 PM
Okay, this pisses me the fuck off.

:?
what does?

Good conversation going.  One side flounces the thread when faced with an inconvenient fact.  Usually seems to be the same side.

I am never debating with a libertarian again, except in the rawest form of trolling.  Period.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

First Ratatosk runs off because we aren't smart enough for him or some shit, then Hoops does this.

Molon Lube