News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

This is Why People Hate Atheists

Started by hooplala, August 12, 2014, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

minuspace

I think it's adorable.  We contrive such fragile systems of thinking and then huff and puff about it. :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on August 19, 2014, 08:47:09 PM
I think it's adorable.  We contrive such fragile systems of thinking and then huff and puff about it. :lulz:

They're not really constructed, so much as they evolve over time. I'm fairly certain there have never been any Jewish carpenters who were able to stop storms, walk on water, and rise from the dead. But I'm also fairly certain at least one Jewish carpenter just kinda said, "Fuck this hammering. I'm gonna preach!" one day. Where that other stuff came in, I don't know. Maybe they did some good drugs. But Christianity didn't come out of thin air, and it certainly wasn't contrived like Scientology or Discordia.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

bugmenоt

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on August 18, 2014, 02:44:23 PM
I'm thinking the ability to dismiss the ridiculous is inversely proportional to the number of people who believe it?

Beautiful. I'm stealing this.

minuspace

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on August 19, 2014, 09:04:32 PM

They're not really constructed, so much as they evolve over time. I'm fairly certain there have never been any Jewish carpenters who were able to stop storms, walk on water, and rise from the dead. But I'm also fairly certain at least one Jewish carpenter just kinda said, "Fuck this hammering. I'm gonna preach!" one day. Where that other stuff came in, I don't know. Maybe they did some good drugs. But Christianity didn't come out of thin air, and it certainly wasn't contrived like Scientology or Discordia.
Fine, bring that up why don't you.  Like what happened last time I tried to argue with him about his "word". :argh!:

Slyph

Someone posted a fucking awesome t-shirt to the "I Love 80's Goth" group on Facebook.

http://www.kraftfuttermischwerk.de/blogg/shirt-depeche-mode-boys-dont-cry/

For the lazy, it's a tshirt with the "Unknown Pleasures" waveform on it, above that it says "DEPECHE MODE", beneath it says "BOYS DON'T CRY"

They went FUCKING NUTS, like ragetears.

And yet they claim to have complex senses of humour under the eyeliner and shit...

edit: Not that this is relevant to the topic at hand at all, it's just good trolling & the wint tweet reminded me of it.

The Johnny

:hashishim:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey I kinda think I might be able to use your support here. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SGitR&defid=7877671

I feel oddly vulnerable, and I honestly don't know why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Council of Nicea comes damn close, though.

Quote from: Slyph on August 20, 2014, 02:30:32 AM
Someone posted a fucking awesome t-shirt to the "I Love 80's Goth" group on Facebook.

For the lazy, it's a tshirt with the "Unknown Pleasures" waveform on it, above that it says "DEPECHE MODE", beneath it says "BOYS DON'T CRY"

And yet they claim to have complex senses of humour under the eyeliner and shit...

edit: Not that this is relevant to the topic at hand at all, it's just good trolling & the wint tweet reminded me of it.

I would wear the ever living fuck out of that shirt.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 20, 2014, 09:00:22 AM
Hey I kinda think I might be able to use your support here. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SGitR&defid=7877671

Upvoted.

hooplala

It's cool, I'd rather this thread be about the lack of senses of humor than the merits of atheism.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 20, 2014, 12:13:20 PM

Point, but that was more of a limiting event than creation of belief, in order to get some sort of consistency. It's a different kind of contriving than what I meant.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on August 20, 2014, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 20, 2014, 12:13:20 PM

Point, but that was more of a limiting event than creation of belief, in order to get some sort of consistency. It's a different kind of contriving than what I meant.

The Council of Nicaea's purpose was the codification of the faith to avoid disputes between what were viewed as heretical sects. It was ordered by Constantine because he was sick of the unrest between the different active churches: Apostolic, Arianism (NOT ARYANISM), Monophysitism, Copt, etc. Let's just say that it made the "argument" between Sunni and Shi'a Islam look tame. It was bad. In the end, Apostolic Christianity won out, thus creating the Orthodox church, and the others were labeled as heretical in nature because of the viewpoints on the Trinity and Transubstantiation, as well as the divinity of Christ.

...I know way too much about this shit.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

minuspace

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 20, 2014, 09:00:22 AM

A'ait 'en.  Done one.