News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 28, 2015, 11:55:41 PM
Not looking forward to the next three nights.  Friday-Saturday-Sunday is always bad, but:

- It's nearly the end of exam season
- The exeat system still isn't working properly
- I haven't been in for 9 nights and I very much doubt everything (or indeed anything) from that time period which is relevant will be passed on
- I'm the senior shift manager
- My "co-worker" is not a House Parent, and will only be working half the shift.

So in short I'll have no breaks, no real help and it'll be on the worst nights for dealing with drunks, students throwing tantrums and general bullshit.

On the plus side, once this is done with, I have 15 nights of no work.

On a selfish note, I look forward to many borderline (or not) horrific stories over the course of the weekend.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am feeling less overwhelmed today. It helped that I got really positive feedback on my last presentation, and I got a B on my Cell midterm (more than half the class got a C or below... the second Cell midterm is brutal, all new info we've never seen before and a lot of it... it's typically the lowest score of the term so I am COMPLETELY happy with a B) and Dr. R, on whom I have a hopeless crush, hailed me by name and made chit-chat with me later in the afternoon.

Now I just need to get a solid night's sleep and write a paper, 2 research summaries, and start a case study tomorrow, before diving into a weekend of studying my ass off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Job situation past critical.

I will be moving on sooner than intended, but seeing as how the immediate risk to Ed's job is over, I just don't see hanging around as a necessity.  I have a job in my pocket, but I'm getting another offer on Monday.

I have 8 years of dirt hanging in cloud, waiting for me to not log in for 7 consecutive days.  I have edited out everything except as pertains to Lilly.

One effect this will have is that I will be online a lot less, though I haven't exactly been a fixture recently.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:11:41 AM

I will be moving on sooner than intended, but seeing as how the immediate risk to Ed's job is over, I just don't see hanging around as a necessity.  I have a job in my pocket, but I'm getting another offer on Monday.

I have 8 years of dirt hanging in cloud, waiting for me to not log in for 7 consecutive days.  I have edited out everything except as pertains to Lilly.

One effect this will have is that I will be online a lot less, though I haven't exactly been a fixture recently.

Whoa.

I will be interested in finding out how this all rolls out (sorry I haven't been able to answer the phone the last two times you've called, BTW!) and also hoping that whether you land in the job offer you already have or the one that's coming in, it's a much better situation. Hopefully one that affords you a lot of downtime for posting.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 07:48:01 AM

Whoa.

I will be interested in finding out how this all rolls out (sorry I haven't been able to answer the phone the last two times you've called, BTW!) and also hoping that whether you land in the job offer you already have or the one that's coming in, it's a much better situation. Hopefully one that affords you a lot of downtime for posting.

1.  If you don't have time, and you don't, then don't pick up.  If it's important, I'll text.

2.  Neither job will leave me with any downtime at all.  Both jobs involve driving all over Arizona and dealing with cranky people, with the aim of extracting money from them in exchange for predictive maintenance that most places can't manage on their own.  This means I will be posting on Friday nights.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:51:14 AM

Whoa.

1.  If you don't have time, and you don't, then don't pick up.  If it's important, I'll text.

2.  Neither job will leave me with any downtime at all.  Both jobs involve driving all over Arizona and dealing with cranky people, with the aim of extracting money from them in exchange for predictive maintenance that most places can't manage on their own.  This means I will be posting on Friday nights.

It sounds like the tradeoff (from a selfish point of view) will be: less posts from you in general, but crazy motherfucking stories.

That is not the tradeoff I would choose if I could pick one, but I will take it because it's better than you not posting at all.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 07:54:23 AM

Whoa.

It sounds like the tradeoff (from a selfish point of view) will be: less posts from you in general, but crazy motherfucking stories.

That is not the tradeoff I would choose if I could pick one, but I will take it because it's better than you not posting at all.

Tomorrow evening I'll give a little rant on why I'm leaving in a bigass hurry.

I plan to leave on June 11th, which also happens to be the day ALL the brass will be at the plant.  Honestly, though, I don't think I'll make it through next week.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:59:22 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 07:54:23 AM

Whoa.

Tomorrow evening I'll give a little rant on why I'm leaving in a bigass hurry.

I plan to leave on June 11th, which also happens to be the day ALL the brass will be at the plant.  Honestly, though, I don't think I'll make it through next week.

Shit must have gotten really  hot, really fast.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 08:10:51 AM

Shit must have gotten really  hot, really fast.

Let's just say that Lilly is frantic for me to leave, and I am happy to oblige her.

She's never really understood that we're playing for different stakes.  She wants to WIN, and I just want to walk away with her career burning behind me, putting sunglasses on while the theme music starts.

Not because I feel that I must have some sort of "victory", but because I hate her more than she hates me, which is a fact I don't think she could get her brain around even if I told her.  Because other people (Ed, for another example) don't have hate, they are just targets for it.  Lilly would have been very comfortable in a world in which the Nazis won.  Not being facetious, here, she's one of the worst two people I have ever met in my life.

The other one was also named Lilly, for what it's worth.   :lulz:  But one of the best people I've ever met was ALSO named Lilly, so it's not like a "wolf" thing.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I'll miss the daily-ish posts, but I'm really glad you're getting out.

Once you weren't building the future anymore, I couldn't see you sticking around.

Cain

Burning bridges with my emails:

QuoteDear [redacted] (and [redacted person I did not include in this email who you copied in),

Thank you for your reply.

However, I am unsure as what next year's staffing has to do with my request.  Unless the [redacted] family are intending to stay until September, I would be available to move in at almost any time over the summer.

Furthermore, as I previously mentioned, I am both a House Parent and a night worker at [site] .  I have a reasonable expectation of peace, quiet and privacy which cannot be assured as long as I am in a double cluster.  It is very likely at some point someone will move into [room next to me] and that person is not going to appreciate me wanting to use my kitchen at 2am, and I am not going to appreciate hearing them coming in and out during the day while I try to sleep.  I believe [other member of staff] in [room number] is already due to have someone in [the next room], for example.  Additionally I have had both maintenance people and cleaning staff waking me before now.

In addition to this, and as I previously mentioned, other HPs, including a HP which does not even work at this site, have been afforded a studio flat.  I am paying the same rent as these people, yet I am expected to live in a student room and have to share my space with another person at the whim of booking agencies.

I'd also like to make the point that while living in this room I cannot reasonably have any expectations of privacy or security.  All on-duty staff have master keys that can access my room.  So do cleaning and maintenance staff.  So do off-site contractors such as [redacted], whose staff have not all been vetted via CRB checks.  Given how my privacy has already been violated once, and I have been given no assurances it will not happen again despite my legal rights in this regard, I am justified in my concern over this happening again.

I have been more than reasonable in waiting several months for an opportunity to move to be made available.

With this 3rd email, I have still not yet been given a reasonable reason as to why I cannot move in.  With my first email, there was no explanation and with your reply [Senior manager] it is much the same.  Will I be afforded a studio flat to move into or not?  If so, when?  And if not, why not?

These are not difficult questions and I have expectations of basic courtesy being extended to me in answering them, not being kept in the dark or fobbed off with non-answers.

If I do not get a straight, clear-cut answer I am fully willing to take this up the chain of command and with Human Resources.  If I do not get a reply within 7 days from either of you, this issue will be passed on to them.  I hope it does not come to that, but please do not mistake my hopes for reluctance to act.

Regards,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I should be making a powerpoint about this guy (http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/42285/title/HIV-Scientist-Pleads-Guilty-to-Fraud/) right now, but instead I'm eating popcorn and cleaning my closet.

My motivation level just ain't what it should be.

Two more weeks. All I have to do is make it through two more weeks.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 31, 2015, 06:39:31 AM
:lol: Very nice.

Also an object lesson: threats work.  I now have a meeting.

Truth be told, I don't really care about the room.  It would be nice to have, but I can live without it.  But the fact they're so dead set on not letting me have it, and not telling me why means I am going to use it to yank their chain all summer long.

Plus I'm interested in seeing exactly how many concessions I can wring out of them so they can protect whatever it is they want to protect.  Lower rent, a guarantee of no neighbour, agreements not to enter the flat without 24 notice...lets see just how badly they want to keep this room free.  Because the alternative is a slam dunk discrimination and fraud suit (they're currently claiming they do not need to give me said room because it is not specified in my contract.  The same contract that completely lies about my job description and duties).