News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Daily Telegraph: Shock, horror

Started by MMIX, February 25, 2015, 10:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

Now there is even less reason to take the Torygraph seriously as a newspaper
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/peter-oborne/why-i-have-resigned-from-telegraph
QuoteThe coverage of HSBC in Britain's Telegraph is a fraud on its readers. If major newspapers allow corporations to influence their content for fear of losing advertising revenue, democracy itself is in peril.
I don't much like Oborne's politics but it seems like he is taking quite a principled stand. Yay for principles.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

Just for reference, which papers can we still take seriously?

It's still "none of them", right?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2015, 10:33:45 PM

Weekly World News has some promising breakthroughs on Batboy.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

MMIX

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 25, 2015, 10:43:14 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2015, 10:33:45 PM

Weekly World News has some promising breakthroughs on Batboy.

Yeah well the law of averages indicates that one of them had to be doing it right
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Peter Oborne's basically that conservative you wish other Tories would be like.  For a long period of time he was the only voice of reason at the Daily Mail (in 2007 he did a very good series on Islamophobia in Britain - the Mail was not impressed) and up until recently as the Torygraph political editor.

Interesting also, to read his take on the internal happenings at the paper. The Telegraph was importing certain American Right memes a long way back, and it seems like that was deliberately cultivated by the Barclay brothers.