News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Are we walking towards a dystopia?

Started by Mistre, April 24, 2012, 04:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mistre

Not to sound depressing, I do believe life can be enjoyable, and nowadays there are a lot of things that are a hundred times better than in the past, and while the situation is nowhere near to perfect, and is arguably good, it is not as bad as it once was.
But I have to ask where all of this is going. As this is a time of crisis.

And I do not say that the crisis will be the cause, but the excuse. I've noticed that extreme views have been rising exponentially, specially inside the governments.

I keep seeing these... signs. These opportunities for a trend of dictatorial governments and similars to arise across the globe, that will come with the passing of years, and this is bad. Really bad.

I need to ask, are we walking towards a dystopia?
Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

navkat

I ain't walkin...too much effort. I'm thinking about ways to finance the extra $130K I need to trade in my Jeep Liberty for a brand-new H3 so I can roll over environmentalists and Occupiers and get there first.

Deepthroat Chopra

Don't know. From recent posting here, it seems you may well already be in a dystopia if you are a black person moving into your own home in Georgia, or a black person in Florida skipping out for a packet of Skittles, for example.

I guess the state of surveillance and most people's acceptance of it as convenience makes me think we're headed for some form of Gibson-esque-ish dystopia. The Dictatorial governments across the globe are actually decreasing, but are being replaced by a dictatorship of the majority (ie. Westminster) in which some proprtion of the voting populace above 50% are happy to trade certain freedoms and rights for perceived increased security and fancier gizmo's.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Mistre

Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mistre on April 24, 2012, 04:30:02 AM
Not to sound depressing, I do believe life can be enjoyable, and nowadays there are a lot of things that are a hundred times better than in the past, and while the situation is nowhere near to perfect, and is arguably good, it is not as bad as it once was.

And I do not say that the crisis will be the cause, but the excuse. I've noticed that extreme views have been rising exponentially, specially inside the governments.

I keep seeing these... signs. These opportunities for a trend of dictatorial governments and similars to arise across the globe, that will come with the passing of years, and this is bad. Really bad.

We're not walking, we're galloping.

And "governments" have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 01:47:50 PM

For once, I think I'm grimmer than you.

I'd say we're standing in it, and asking where dystopia is, and all of the dystopians are looking at us going, "what, are you retarded?"

I like to describe the US as a totalitarian democracy.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Phox

I believe that Dok and Twid are in the right direction here.

Me, I'm riding my motorcycle at 100 mph, playing my guitar. On the right side of the road, there's a mountain. On the left side, there's nothing. Dead ahead, Dystopia. And my e string just broke.

EK WAFFLR

I don't know, it might be quite a way away, yet.

Waffle Iron,
Sitting atop a freakishly large pile of skulls playing Tiny Tim songs.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Faust

I would go one further from what Dok said,

We're not approaching a dystopia. We are living in a thanotopia. Rapidly burning out what is left of the world in a blip orgy of excess, its because we worship death. We as a society, as opposed to an individual level long for annihilation.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 24, 2012, 04:34:11 PM

I'd say we're standing in it, and asking where dystopia is, and all of the dystopians are looking at us going, "what, are you retarded?"

You're an optimist.  The handbag is still in motion.  Things can - and probably will - get a whole lot worse than this before you can really call it dystopia.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 04:49:21 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 24, 2012, 04:34:11 PM

You're an optimist.  The handbag is still in motion.  Things can - and probably will - get a whole lot worse than this before you can really call it dystopia.

I dunno, man. This is the future and it looks more like a dystopian novel than Back to the Future II. But maybe that's me going it's already bad enough.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 24, 2012, 04:55:33 PM
I dunno, man. This is the future and it looks more like a dystopian novel than Back to the Future II. But maybe that's me going it's already bad enough.

WE HAVE TO TAKE THIS SHIT TO THE WALL, RIDE THIS FUCKING TORPEDO TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT GETS WHERE IT'S GOING.

Nothing else will do.  This future is frail and weak, and hardly real at all.  If we're not careful, it will topple into smashed bits before it can be properly studied.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We're already in it, and there's no going back.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 05:30:49 PM

I disagree on both counts.

It's gonna get worse, and it's not gonna last.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 05:32:09 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 05:30:49 PM

I disagree on both counts.

It's gonna get worse, and it's not gonna last.

I am not sure that's a disagreement. We're already in it, and it's going to get worse. There's no going back, and it's not gonna last.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."