News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:42:06 AM
Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:40:52 AM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:39:25 AM
Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:37:06 AM
It seems a bit odd to be pimping it now that it's over, but if I can throw my recommendation in for a series, I'd say pick up Scalped.

It's some of the best goddamned Noir to be written in recent memory.

Then there's the Coward series.

Que?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_%28comics%29
Criminal is excellent. I got the first six issues in a hardcover that was on sale. Since then I have been reading everything of his I can get my hands on.
He did a batman related series called Gotham Central about the police force and he manages to turn the crazy idea of the police force relying on a vigilante into a believable concept. They do it through the little details, for instance they never turn on the signal on the roof, they always get a member of the public or someone's secretary to turn it on.

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:37:06 AM
It seems a bit odd to be pimping it now that it's over, but if I can throw my recommendation in for a series, I'd say pick up Scalped.

It's some of the best goddamned Noir to be written in recent memory.
The best series are the ones that have ended, if you are reading an ongoing series that you like it has less then half a chance of getting to the end, just look at the vertigo catalogue and see how many were cut down in their prime.

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:40:35 AM
Quote from: Faust on September 21, 2012, 08:13:25 PM
Reading Pax Romana at the moment. I like the concept, which is an interesting time travel alternate history story but I find the execution a little bit snoozie.

Hickman's 2nd worst work.

Try The Nightly News, if you want Hickman at his finest.  It's like waking up in a chair with a bag on your head, and you can smell lighter fluid and gun oil.

That's the next series I want to read but I want to read it in a physical copy and I only have it downloaded.

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on September 22, 2012, 12:09:17 AM
I finally got over my fear of New52 and picked up the first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Its contrived the way they seem to be handling the new Batbooks, instead of just restarting it looks like they picked up just before where they left off and just have really streamlined backstories told in exposition. Not exactly starting over, but certainly more accessible.
Oh no, and as a new 52 book red hood is one of the poorest, and has been criticised over how it handles starfire. There are people who recommend it but I couldn't get into it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Sano

Do manga count as comics around here?
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Kai

Quote from: Sano on September 22, 2012, 01:54:19 PM

I'm pretty sure they count as comics everywhere. Do American productions count as film in India?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

Quote from: Sano on September 22, 2012, 01:54:19 PM

They do but I would prefer you start a thread for them because they have very dissimilar styles themes and writing.

Internet Jesus

The best series are the ones that have ended, if you are reading an ongoing series that you like it has less then half a chance of getting to the end, just look at the vertigo catalogue and see how many were cut down in their prime.

Truth.  IMO, the main problem with mainstream comics as an art form is they are ongoing and don't have a set story they want to tell.  Attempting to maintain 50+ years of continuity, while trying to deny the flow of time in the story itself has made the coninuity bend in all sorts of weird ways.  Especially in an art form that continually mines its own history for story ideas.

It's not for nothing that three of my personal favorite books in the last 20 years or so (Preacher, Transmet, and Scalped) have all been limited stories that had a definite end.
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!

Faust

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:51:32 PM

Truth.  IMO, the main problem with mainstream comics as an art form is they are ongoing and don't have a set story they want to tell.  Attempting to maintain 50+ years of continuity, while trying to deny the flow of time in the story itself has made the coninuity bend in all sorts of weird ways.  Especially in an art form that continually mines its own history for story ideas.

It's not for nothing that three of my personal favorite books in the last 20 years or so (Preacher, Transmet, and Scalped) have all been limited stories that had a definite end.
There are some exceptions but its rare, Hickmans fantastic four run is intricate and explores new things about the characters that actually make them cool and interesting.
Grant morrisons run on batman was distinctly morrison ish, if you like his style its great.

Internet Jesus

When he's on, he's on, but I have two basic issues with Morrison.

1.  I know he tries to write a highly intricate story that works on many different levels, but IMO he usually gets too clever by half, and the end product usually feels like something he just spooged out.

2.  His constant raiding of the nooks and crannies of continuity to give cheap heat to a story.  Honestly, I don't need a story about a kid who was in two panels of Dectective #254 back in the fifties.

That said, and I know this is a bit hypocritical on my part, his run on Batman before the reboot was excellent, IMO.

Faust

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 06:02:54 PM
When he's on, he's on, but I have two basic issues with Morrison.

1.  I know he tries to write a highly intricate story that works on many different levels, but IMO he usually gets too clever by half, and the end product usually feels like something he just spooged out.

2.  His constant raiding of the nooks and crannies of continuity to give cheap heat to a story.  Honestly, I don't need a story about a kid who was in two panels of Dectective #254 back in the fifties.

That said, and I know this is a bit hypocritical on my part, his run on Batman before the reboot was excellent, IMO.
It was but I have found he tends to reinvent more then he creates, sure the story was intricate and yes he scrutinised batmans history but as original ideas go he's become iterative rather then inventive.
But yes it would be hypocritical of me to say I didn't enjoy his run.

Internet Jesus

Like I said, when he's on his game, he can make the fucking Bat-mite an interesting character.

That said, if I ever meet him, I want my $20 back for Final Crisis.  I know whatbhe was trying to do, but in the final result what he was trying to do and what he actually did are miles apart.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just got the first trade paperback of The Invisibles.  It's been out of print while they publish some $150 harbound monstrosity.

It's utter CRAP.  I don't regret the money I spent as much as the irretrievable time lost from my life.  I expected far better out of Morrison, and this fucking thing has RUINED MY LIFE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 05:15:44 PM
Just got the first trade paperback of The Invisibles.  It's been out of print while they publish some $150 harbound monstrosity.

It's utter CRAP.  I don't regret the money I spent as much as the irretrievable time lost from my life.  I expected far better out of Morrison, and this fucking thing has RUINED MY LIFE.
I actually enjoyed the first few volumes a lot more then the last few. I would definitely not suggest reading the final issue if you didn't like the initial ones.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

NOT AGAIN! :crankey:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 06:29:49 PM

NOT AGAIN! :crankey:

EVERY.

DAY.

OF.

MY.

LIFE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

I was worried because Grant Morrison was making motions towards my beloved Wonder Woman (still getting a recommendation) but it seems he and DC are having the tiff all big writers inevitably go with marvel and DC.

I've been reading Garth Ennis Punisher Max series, I like the idea of a Punisher story without the bullshit superheros in to ruin it.
The story is a bit paint by numbers. Punisher attacks low level street thug for the Irish/Italian/Russian/Albanian mob, things escalate and he wipes them all out, but there is enough that is intriguing about the characters to make it compelling to read.

What I really like about his frank Castle is that he has kept the date of Franks family being wiped out at the original story date of the early seventies. Which puts the punisher in his late sixties/early seventies, its cool to see a scarred, gnarled old man who has killed over 2000 people over thirty years barely keeping a fingernail grip on reality and being utterly badass.

It's Ennis so it has lots of shock value, racial stereotypes and overall filth to entertain but with just enough depth to justify it.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Faust on October 21, 2012, 10:33:14 PM
I was worried because Grant Morrison was making motions towards my beloved Wonder Woman (still getting a recommendation) but it seems he and DC are having the tiff all big writers inevitably go with marvel and DC.

I've been reading Garth Ennis Punisher Max series, I like the idea of a Punisher story without the bullshit superheros in to ruin it.
The story is a bit paint by numbers. Punisher attacks low level street thug for the Irish/Italian/Russian/Albanian mob, things escalate and he wipes them all out, but there is enough that is intriguing about the characters to make it compelling to read.

What I really like about his frank Castle is that he has kept the date of Franks family being wiped out at the original story date of the early seventies. Which puts the punisher in his late sixties/early seventies, its cool to see a scarred, gnarled old man who has killed over 2000 people over thirty years barely keeping a fingernail grip on reality and being utterly badass.

It's Ennis so it has lots of shock value, racial stereotypes and overall filth to entertain but with just enough depth to justify it.

Read it to the end.  It gets even better.  The Punisher Max Bullseye alone makes everything worthwhile.