News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Conservative brains are more primitive???

Started by MMIX, December 28, 2010, 09:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2010, 09:50:36 PM
daily mail.

Yep but that just makes it sweeter,

oh and Charley, if Memnoch gets agressive thats just the clincher . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Golden Applesauce

Another study finds that people will believe anything that makes the other tribe seem dumber.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Adios

Quote from: MMIX on December 28, 2010, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2010, 09:50:36 PM
daily mail.

Yep but that just makes it sweeter,

oh and Charley, if Memnoch gets agressive thats just the clincher . . .

Exactly.

Phox

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on December 28, 2010, 10:39:15 PM
Another study finds that people will believe anything that makes the other tribe seem dumber.
The other tribe is dumber; they fall for it.

Kai

Daily mail = Daily fail.

Never trust science from a newspaper.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Adios

Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
Oh, the daily mail...this is as legit as a website claiming a war with UFO's in Antarctica. I'm reminded of a saying about stones and glass houses.

Or you could read the rest of the thread without getting all butthurt and see that it was a joke.

Hawk,
just sayin'

My work is done.  :lulz:

Cain

While I don't trust the Mail to report on science anything accurately, it should be noted that UCL has one of the highest rated neuroscience departments in the world (IIRC it is rated second, actually).  And Professor Geraint Rees, who carried out the research, isn't exactly a crank either.

So I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see the paper....

MMIX

Actually I'm kind of surprised that the Mail would even touch this one -  unless, of course, they are going to start a campaign to have those of us with 'defective' amygdalas removed from the gene pool.

And ammo for anyone arguing with anyone who pooh poohs any thing that they read in the Mail heres a link to UCL's own quiet trumpet blow
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1012/10122301

Cain

The Mail can be strange like that, though.  I remember there was a rash of articles (pre-Credit Crunch) which were quite critical of corporatist/state capitalism - and Peter Osborne, one of the best journalists in the country, a man very critical of Islamaphobia (and the media's role in creating it) is on their payroll.

I think there is some kind of warped, twisted desire to do real journalism there - it just gets caught out by laziness and seeing the world through a socially conservative, moralizing lens.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So if this is true, then it supports Wilson's model that Conservatives tend to be more oriented toward 2nd circuit thinking than liberals (who tend more toward 3rd circuit in the model).

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

It would also correlate, or at least give some kind of neurological/physical basis to some of the findings of Altermeyer's work on authoritarianism.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on December 29, 2010, 01:21:32 PM
While I don't trust the Mail to report on science anything accurately, it should be noted that UCL has one of the highest rated neuroscience departments in the world (IIRC it is rated second, actually).  And Professor Geraint Rees, who carried out the research, isn't exactly a crank either.

So I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see the paper....

It's really unfortunate that the only science journalism that I can trust for accuracy are 1) field experts (in their own papers, writings or blogs) and 2) the Not Exactly Rocket Science blog.

And while Ed Young tries very hard to cover a diverse number of topics, he can't cover everything.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish