News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

4chan vs. AT&T

Started by Iason Ouabache, July 27, 2009, 03:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/26/att-blocks-4chan-this-is-going-to-get-ugly/

QuoteAs if AT&T wasn't already bad enough. In an act that is sure to spark internet rebellions everywhere, AT&T has apparently declared war on the extremely popular imageboard 4chan.org, blocking some of the site's most popular message boards, including /r9k/ and the infamous /b/. m00t, who started 4chan and continues to run the site, has posted a note to the 4chan status blog indicating that AT&T is in fact filtering/blocking the site for many of its customers (we're still trying to confirm from AT&T's side).

Reports of the blocking began to surface on reddit this afternoon, and a number of blogs are beginning to pick up on the story, though it doesn't seem like any have managed to get a comment from AT&T (we've reached out to the company and will update once we hear back).

4chan has been called many things, most of which aren't particularly flattering. Some parts of the site are entirely unmoderated, leading to a wild-west, highly NSFW environment where irreverance, mischief, and lewdness thrive (I like to think of it as the Mos Eisley of the web). But that doesn't mean the site isn't extremely influential on web culture. Many of its exploits are famous, including taking over the Time 100 list, and it's also where some of the Internet's most famous memes got their start, including the Rick Roll and LOLcats. It's also known as the main hub for Anonymous, a group that has held a very public campaign against Scientology.

In other words, AT&T has just opened perhaps the most vindictive, messy can of worms it could have possibly found. Blocking any site is an extreme breach of user trust, but the decision to block 4chan in particular just seems stupid. Expect the web equivalent of rioting if this doesn't change soon.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Pariah

:weary:
AT&T execs aren't too bright eh?
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Corvidia

:lulz: I predict much hilarity.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

fomenter

this should be amusing, anybody here follow the irc channels that get up to date planning/whats being done info?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Iason Ouabache

Info I've seen on /b/ so far:

Quote-Most AT&T DSL (largest ISP in the US, 15.5% of US Internet users) customers ARE currently not able to access img.4chan.org (/b/ & /r9k/)
-There are a few AT&T DSL users that are NOT affected. Kansas, Florida, and Ohio are where we've gotten those reports. AT&T is a megacorp made from the smaller pieces it was broken down into in the 80s- different equipment and such.
-AT&T Mobility (Cell Phones) and AT&T Uverse customers ARE NOT AFFECTED.
-It IS NOT a DNS issue. Affected people have tried OpenDNS with no success.
-It IS very visible on a traceroute. It drops within the AT&T network.
-It DOES NOT affect AT&Ts Tier 1 backbone (major bandwidth backbone in US).
-It DOES NOT affect other servers on 4chan.
-People HAVE called customer service (allegedly) and confirmed a block, but agents have denied further info.

-Sporadic reports of former BellSouth Customers being blocked are coming in. The majority of forner BellSouth customers are currently NOT BLOCKED. The majority of former SBC Global Customers are.
-Tier 2 support (the non Indian guys) have confirmed that there is a block, have refused to comment further, other than the fact that they decided to contact NetAsset (4chan's hosting company) regarding it. Current rumormill is that it ISN'T CP- AT&T DSL customers have viruses that DDoS 4chan, using a TON of bandwidth. Bandwidth costs money for AT&T too.
    \

Iason Ouabache

Also:

Just got a call back from AT&T - seems the reason for the block isn't CP.

It's because the site is a constant target of DDOS attacks that were routed through AT&T servers. AT&T blocked it because their bandwidth was spiraling out of control. Spread the word. It's not about content, it's about AT&T's pocketbook.
    \

Captain Utopia

I may be off-base, but I was under the impression that anonymous had some pretty skilled folks who care about technology and are passionate about issues such as censorship. You know, the sorts of people who work in the field and to whom it's not just a job. I guess it's pointless speculation, but I like to think that a few members work at companies such as AT&T.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iason Ouabache

\

fomenter

i just checked and it seems i am effected and can no longer see /b/ or r9k, i am not letting the fact i almost never visit these sites and have never even tried to visit one of them before today lesson my outrage in the smallest amount...
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Call and harrass them.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 27, 2009, 03:36:36 AM
Also:

Just got a call back from AT&T - seems the reason for the block isn't CP.

It's because the site is a constant target of DDOS attacks that were routed through AT&T servers. AT&T blocked it because their bandwidth was spiraling out of control. Spread the word. It's not about content, it's about AT&T's pocketbook.

Then why are only /b/ and /r9k/ targeted.

For that matter, why target /r9k/ at all?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

fomenter

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 27, 2009, 04:11:45 AM
Call and harrass them.

they got an email they have till my next bill comes due to restore full service or i find a new isp

hmroogp

Thurnez Isa

Thing is what internet providers (Im assuming its the same in the states) as soon as you threaten to cancel all of a sudden you hear about deals you never even knew existed.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

the last yatto

what would happen if enough people asked Apple to break its at&t contract?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit