News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

something NEW* to fight about

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, October 30, 2013, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Thought: maybe what we need is some old fashioned free market. Monsanto has a virtual monopoly right now. But what happens when these first gen lines go out of style and other companies step in to compete? On one hand we'll have even more GMOs on the market. On the other hand, Monsanto won't be able to hold court anymore.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:36:27 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:22:13 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:19:44 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:18:46 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:15:03 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:12:16 AM

Maybe, or maybe sustaining 7 billion people isn't feasible.

It isn't, nor is it desirable.  But to allow a die off isn't the solution, even if you can live with it.  Because the starving people will not starve quietly, and they'll drag everyone down with them in an attempt to survive.  The chaos would do far more damage than the famine.  It always does.

Plus, who wants to be responsible for making the Nazis look like pikers?  Population CONTROL is one thing, population REDUCTION is a horror.
No, I wasn't suggesting it either. But when it does happen, those are the choices that are going to be presented. The higher risk with more unknowns will be the path taken and it will end up being a fingers crossed solution.

I can tell you what will actually be done when things get that bad, but you probably don't want to hear it.

I'm going to look at Syria and say I suspect it's several years of inaction and talking about a solution, until the suffering becomes so unbearable that there is little left to do and a token gesture is thrown to make it look like something was done but it will be too little and too late?

I was thinking more along the lines of closed borders and non-persistent nerve agents.

Masque of the Red Death material.
Christ. If it gets that bad there's not an awful lot I'd want to stick around for.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:50:43 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:36:27 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:22:13 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:19:44 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:18:46 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 31, 2013, 12:15:03 AM
Quote from: Faust on October 31, 2013, 12:12:16 AM

Maybe, or maybe sustaining 7 billion people isn't feasible.

It isn't, nor is it desirable.  But to allow a die off isn't the solution, even if you can live with it.  Because the starving people will not starve quietly, and they'll drag everyone down with them in an attempt to survive.  The chaos would do far more damage than the famine.  It always does.

Plus, who wants to be responsible for making the Nazis look like pikers?  Population CONTROL is one thing, population REDUCTION is a horror.
No, I wasn't suggesting it either. But when it does happen, those are the choices that are going to be presented. The higher risk with more unknowns will be the path taken and it will end up being a fingers crossed solution.

I can tell you what will actually be done when things get that bad, but you probably don't want to hear it.

I'm going to look at Syria and say I suspect it's several years of inaction and talking about a solution, until the suffering becomes so unbearable that there is little left to do and a token gesture is thrown to make it look like something was done but it will be too little and too late?

I was thinking more along the lines of closed borders and non-persistent nerve agents.

Masque of the Red Death material.
Christ. If it gets that bad there's not an awful lot I'd want to stick around for.

I don't know much, but I know the way my government thinks.  It is a great stupid beast that thinks in terms of "ordnance delivery" rather than "dropping bombs on people", and has HORRIBLE contingency plans for all manner of shit, and fresh-faced pyschopaths from Harvard & Yale that think those things would be just neat.

Robert McNarama was not an aberration.  He was an archetype.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The history of cultivars is one of those "dull until you spend three days researching it on wikipedia and suddenly best thing ever" things. I was always confused why the wax fruit in my grandparents' basement had these weird looking bananas until I found out that cultivar ("Big Mikes") got wiped out in the 50s and has been replaced with the ones you see now (Cavendishes). Also, oranges. The whole thing.

Kai

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 31, 2013, 12:56:00 AM
The history of cultivars is one of those "dull until you spend three days researching it on wikipedia and suddenly best thing ever" things. I was always confused why the wax fruit in my grandparents' basement had these weird looking bananas until I found out that cultivar ("Big Mikes") got wiped out in the 50s and has been replaced with the ones you see now (Cavendishes). Also, oranges. The whole thing.

I, personally, am fascinated by potatoes. There are hundreds of cultivars in South America, all suited for different conditions. What do we get up here? Pretty much just Russett Burbank. THANKS MCDONALD'S!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 31, 2013, 12:49:39 AM
Thought: maybe what we need is some old fashioned free market. Monsanto has a virtual monopoly right now. But what happens when these first gen lines go out of style and other companies step in to compete? On one hand we'll have even more GMOs on the market. On the other hand, Monsanto won't be able to hold court anymore.

What's stopping others from entering the market?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 31, 2013, 02:12:08 AM

I, personally, am fascinated by potatoes. There are hundreds of cultivars in South America, all suited for different conditions. What do we get up here? Pretty much just Russett Burbank. THANKS MCDONALD'S!

Over four THOUSAND registered edible cultivars at the International Potato Center in Lima!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 31, 2013, 02:52:29 AM

Over four THOUSAND registered edible cultivars at the International Potato Center in Lima!

So beautiful.  :fap:

Kai

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 31, 2013, 02:49:12 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 31, 2013, 12:49:39 AM

What's stopping others from entering the market?

That's a good question and I don't know the answer.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Kai on October 31, 2013, 03:39:36 AM

HNNNG

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPT-C2ukAaU

heritage cultivars is a thing that my ex housemate was obsessed with.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

Quote from: Kai on October 31, 2013, 03:39:36 AM

Kai