News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Sometimes it feels like they'll only find a cuisine "acceptable" once some white person holds it up.  I mean, I'd pay really, really good money for a cookbook written by that Korean guy at the food cart, but it's the white guy who visits Thailand who gets the fancy book deal.

Junkenstein

Aren't you a white guy?

Isn't there surely some kind of deal to be done here where everyone can profit? Then profit further from the back of the reveal?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Not quite sure what you're getting at?

Something something racism and cookbooks

or

:?

Junkenstein

1 - You talk to the Korean Guy, write a book and slap your name/face on it
2 - People buy it because white guy.
3 - Milk fame, split profit with Korean guy.
4 - When fame fading, reveal it was all written by Korean guy
5 - ????
6 - Further profit.

All perfectly sensible, I'm sure you'd agree.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 30, 2014, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 30, 2014, 01:53:44 PM
Check my foodie privlege?

It's Portland culture. I'm pretty sure it's not that racist in most other cities on the West coast. I love Portland but this place is racist as fuck on a deep level, as much as it pretends it isn't. It's almost impossible for brown artists, chefs, etc. to get any buzz, no matter how amazing they are, because of the way the culture is segregated.

I hadn't thought of it like that but I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's a damn shame too because there are a FUCKTON of amazing chefs in Portland who aren't white and are toiling in obscurity in some food cart pod.

And An Xuyen is on Foster, just southeast of Powell. Right next door to Foster Burger and down the street from the Slingshot. You may not give two fucks about sandwiches but their pastries and steam buns are amazing as well, if you ever happen to be in that part of SE for some reason.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 30, 2014, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 30, 2014, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 30, 2014, 01:53:44 PM
Check my foodie privlege?

It's Portland culture. I'm pretty sure it's not that racist in most other cities on the West coast. I love Portland but this place is racist as fuck on a deep level, as much as it pretends it isn't. It's almost impossible for brown artists, chefs, etc. to get any buzz, no matter how amazing they are, because of the way the culture is segregated.

I hadn't thought of it like that but I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's a damn shame too because there are a FUCKTON of amazing chefs in Portland who aren't white and are toiling in obscurity in some food cart pod.

And An Xuyen is on Foster, just southeast of Powell. Right next door to Foster Burger and down the street from the Slingshot. You may not give two fucks about sandwiches but their pastries and steam buns are amazing as well, if you ever happen to be in that part of SE for some reason.

It's true, you get into the neighborhoods and eat this insane food, and know that it will never get written up in one of the "serious" rags because it's not white folk.

I knew it was deep SE, somewhere I basically never go. At least not since splitting up with Patrik. I don't like pastries but if I'm ever out that way I'd hit up the steam buns, those sound good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, the meat ones are really really good but the ones filled with coconut custard are total mouthgasm material.

I miss SE. I wish people could make a living in Portland.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I thought you should know that I ate a banh mi in Eugene because it was the only non-vegetarian non-hippie thing I could find. It was $7.

I hate Eugene. I mean, it's picturesque and quaint and the U of O campus is beautiful, but the whole thing is like a turf war between frat boys and hippies.

I was, however, amused while walking through the pledge district, because my boyfriend was a frat boy there and the first time I made fun of frat boys while I was with him it hurt his feelings. D'awww.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 30, 2014, 03:53:54 AM
Quote from: All father, Bearman on April 30, 2014, 02:09:43 AM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 29, 2014, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 29, 2014, 05:38:46 PM
Don't listen to that food snob. Enjoy the food you like to eat, until you uncover something else.

I ain't a fancy lady. Pho is like street tacos; cheap, tasty, and filling. I'm happy with my six bucks worth, most places.

You will always have a place in my heart.

If you ever come to Houston. Find out where Airline Dr. starts and ends. It's practically little Mexico.

I will eat my way through it.

I have an addiction to carnitas tacos that knows no boundaries.

Move to Querendaro, Michoacán de Ocampo, Mexico.

Pops hometown, and the place is known for carnitas, or anything pork related in Mexico. Also they're known for cartels etc..

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: All father, Bearman on May 02, 2014, 09:54:46 AM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 30, 2014, 03:53:54 AM
Quote from: All father, Bearman on April 30, 2014, 02:09:43 AM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on April 29, 2014, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 29, 2014, 05:38:46 PM
Don't listen to that food snob. Enjoy the food you like to eat, until you uncover something else.

I ain't a fancy lady. Pho is like street tacos; cheap, tasty, and filling. I'm happy with my six bucks worth, most places.

You will always have a place in my heart.

If you ever come to Houston. Find out where Airline Dr. starts and ends. It's practically little Mexico.

I will eat my way through it.

I have an addiction to carnitas tacos that knows no boundaries.

Move to Querendaro, Michoacán de Ocampo, Mexico.

Pops hometown, and the place is known for carnitas, or anything pork related in Mexico. Also they're known for cartels etc..

Well, the pork part sounds awesome...

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Those look really yummy. I am hungry.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

LMNO