News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

So, given the recent unrest...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 20, 2012, 01:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sano

Quote from: Mangrove on September 21, 2012, 03:59:22 PM
Quote from: Sano on September 21, 2012, 01:43:40 PM

1) It might have something to do with not wanting to turn him into an icon. Plus IIRC there is an order by God somewhere either in the Torah or the Quran not to represent animals or people, which people don't strictly obey anymore. Most of Christianity also didn't allow images of Christ for some time.

I think you are right here. I have heard this before. What I forgot to mention in my post, is that the prohibition is concerns Muslims making images of (prophet) Muhammed as opposed to ordinary, everyday Muhammed. Which gives us an interesting dilemma. Islam also prohibits the eating of pork and the consumption of alcohol, but apparently no one thinks this is 'riot worthy'. I've yet to see any 'Death to Americans who eat bacon' protests, though I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

One has to do with the "purity" of their religion, the other has to do with the "purity" of the individual. So instead of protesting against bacon they just probably think people who eat it are pigs or stuff (see what I did there? I know, I know, not funny)
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Elder Iptuous

so they believe that the actions of other individuals can deface the purity (viability?) of their religion?

tyrannosaurus vex

I wonder if there's a black market for bacon in Islamic countries.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

tyrannosaurus vex

The obvious solution to this dilemma is to create a picture of the Koran drawing a picture of Muhammad.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 21, 2012, 09:38:43 PM
so they believe that the actions of other individuals can deface the purity (viability?) of their religion?

No.  It's because they have nothing else.  So they can't tolerate "insults" to their religion, because the alternative to LOSING THEIR SHIT is to sit in their homes and stare at the walls until they go bugshit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sano

Quote from: v3x on September 21, 2012, 09:40:27 PM
The obvious solution to this dilemma is to create a picture of the Koran drawing a picture of Muhammad.

Or of Muhammad drawing himself, Escher-style.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Sano on September 21, 2012, 09:47:25 PM
Quote from: v3x on September 21, 2012, 09:40:27 PM

Or of Muhammad drawing himself, Escher-style.

Fractal Artist Muhammad. We need to do this, and mail it to Al Qaeda.

Elder Iptuous

yeah, i know it's just an excuse. (from what i heard from the npr boots on the ground, the large majority of the protesters haven't seen the video in question)

but, that's their pretext?  that it actually harms their religion for others to draw cartoons or make crappy videos?
that seems like a lamer achilles heel than being harmed by the color yellow...
certainly they don't claim that we could actually insult their religion to oblivion?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 21, 2012, 09:50:06 PM
yeah, i know it's just an excuse. (from what i heard from the npr boots on the ground, the large majority of the protesters haven't seen the video in question)

but, that's their pretext?  that it actually harms their religion for others to draw cartoons or make crappy videos?
certainly they don't claim that we could actually insult their religion to oblivion?

Sounds like a good reason to try, though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 21, 2012, 09:50:06 PM

Their pretext is crushing poverty and boredom, and a feeling of having no future.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

Translation:
Ceci n'est pas un Muhammed

Mangrove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad

Oddly useful wiki article.

Especially interesting is that Muhammed is represented in a frieze on the supreme court building. Oh how the teabaggers will love that  :lol:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Sano

Quote from: Mangrove on September 21, 2012, 10:39:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad

Oddly useful wiki article.

Especially interesting is that Muhammed is represented in a frieze on the supreme court building. Oh how the teabaggers will love that  :lol:

You know, there's something idd about this. I mean, first you've got this obbligation not to draw/paint/whatever the prophet so as not to incur in idolatry. But then it morphs into a belief that the prophet is so sacrossanct that he shouldn't be displayed. Which is idolatry. So... There's a case to be made that to draw pictures of Muhammad would make (at least some) muslims realize this and so drawing the prophet would actually help them return to the correct religious path:lulz:

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Sano on September 22, 2012, 01:16:35 AM
You know, there's something idd about this. I mean, first you've got this obbligation not to draw/paint/whatever the prophet so as not to incur in idolatry. But then it morphs into a belief that the prophet is so sacrossanct that he shouldn't be displayed. Which is idolatry. So... There's a case to be made that to draw pictures of Muhammad would make (at least some) muslims realize this and so drawing the prophet would actually help them return to the correct religious path:lulz:

Heh.  The Hadith only makes sense if you take it as a ban on reverential images of Muhammed.  But then you can't be insulting of Muhammed, so the only images you can make opiate of reverential images or the Muslims get pissed.  Makes total sense to me.

:lulz:
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!