News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2011, 03:11:11 PM
Irony alert, via the BBC

QuoteThe protest, on Friday, was in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

It was intended to show solidarity with protesters at another branch of the Univeristy of California, in Berkeley, who were hit with batons by police on 9 November.

Also, quickest way in the world to start a riot, that.  Which is probably why it was done.  Once people are rioting, you have every excuse in the world to go in, beat the crap out people and disperse them.

I've noticed a lot more talk about rioting, besides the radicals that are there just waiting for the opportunity. It seems people are falling for the trick.

Do you have any resources I could share on the issue of the police/FBI/NSA provoking people into a riot? I've kept a low profile throughout this thing so I doubt I'll be trusted on my word alone.

I'd like to work up a flyer with references for people to check.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Here's a recent one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/oct/28/scott-olsen-example-occupy-movement

QuoteWe're also seeing evidence of old-style tactics, such as releasing false information in the media and using agent provocateurs to plant evidence and instigate incidents to justify police conduct. One agent provocateur, whom organisers at Occupy Minnesota had been watching carefully, planted a box labelled "Riot Equipment. Needs: bricks, large but throwable stones, gasoline." As soon as he set the box down, sheriff's deputies ran over and photographed it before organisers could remove it. Organisers pointed out the man to the deputies, then watched in disgust as the deputies spoke briefly with him and let him leave. The "riot box" story was top of the news that night, along with a carefully crafted timeline of incidents and a companion piece on the cost of policing the occupation.

More generally

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jul/20/police-spy-on-climate-activists-unlawful

QuoteThree senior judges have ruled that the undercover police officer Mark Kennedy unlawfully spied on environmentalists and arguably acted as an "agent provocateur".

In a damning ruling explaining why they quashed the convictions of 20 climate change activists, the appeal court judges said they shared the "great deal of justifiable public disquiet" about the case.

The judges, who included the lord chief justice, said "elementary principles" of the fair trial process were ignored when prosecutors did not disclose evidence about Kennedy's work to activists' lawyers.

The court announced on Tuesday that it would quash the convictions of the activists, who were wrongly accused of conspiring to break into Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station in 2009.

The judgment also made several criticisms of Kennedy, including that his deployment could have been construed as "entrapment". It revealed Kennedy was part of a long-term programme "to infiltrate extreme leftwing groups" in the UK. Other court documents say the spy programme was called Operation Pegasus.

Also http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Proactive_Preemptive_Operations_Group

QuoteA recent (2002) classified outbrief drafted to guide the Pentagon calls for the "creation of a so-called Proactive Preemptive Operations Group (P2OG), to launch secret operations aimed at "stimulating reactions" among terrorists and states possessing weapons of mass destruction -- that is, for instance, prodding terrorist cells into action and exposing themselves to 'quick-response' attacks by U.S. forces."[8]

The P2OG initiative is nothing new. It essentially extends an existing apparatus of covert operations. Amply documented, the CIA has supported terrorist groups since the Cold War era. This "prodding of terrorist cells" under covert intelligence operations often requires the infiltration and training of the radical groups linked to Al Qaeda.

Golden Applesauce

Regarding the UC Davis protest:
http://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

When you ordered police outfitted with riot helmets, brandishing batons and teargas guns to remove their tents today, those students sat down on the ground in a circle and linked arms to protect them.

What happened next?

Without any provocation whatsoever, other than the bodies of these students sitting where they were on the ground, with their arms linked, police pepper-sprayed students. Students remained on the ground, now writhing in pain, with their arms linked.

What happened next?

Police used batons to try to push the students apart. Those they could separate, they arrested, kneeling on their bodies and pushing their heads into the ground. Those they could not separate, they pepper-sprayed directly in the face, holding these students as they did so. When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-five minutes after being pepper-sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood.

This is what happened. You are responsible for it.

You may not order police to forcefully disperse student protesters peacefully protesting police brutality. You may not do so. It is not an option available to you as the Chancellor of a UC campus. That is why I am calling for your immediate resignation.

I call for your resignation because you are unfit to do your job. You are unfit to ensure the safety of students at UC Davis. In fact: you are the primary threat to the safety of students at UC Davis. As such, I call upon you to resign immediately.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

Far more reasonable than I would be, in their place. 

I'm more of a fan of the lex talionis approach to injustice, on a personal level.

Here's video of UC Davis Chancellor Katehi doing a perp-walk of sorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8775ZmNGFY8

Triple Zero

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 20, 2011, 06:52:27 PM
http://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

When you ordered police outfitted with riot helmets, brandishing batons and teargas guns to remove their tents today, those students sat down on the ground in a circle and linked arms to protect them.

What happened next?

Without any provocation whatsoever, other than the bodies of these students sitting where they were on the ground, with their arms linked, police pepper-sprayed students. Students remained on the ground, now writhing in pain, with their arms linked.

What happened next?

Police used batons to try to push the students apart. Those they could separate, they arrested, kneeling on their bodies and pushing their heads into the ground. Those they could not separate, they pepper-sprayed directly in the face, holding these students as they did so. When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-five minutes after being pepper-sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood.

HOLY SHIT :eek:

Though the more this happens the much, much longer this will take before it ends or will be forgotten.

edit: quote fail
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Net on November 20, 2011, 07:48:56 PM
Here's video of UC Davis Chancellor Katehi doing a perp-walk of sorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8775ZmNGFY8

This blog post, which also includes the video, is slightly more descriptive of preceding events, I didn't understand what I was looking at, at first:

http://thesecondalarm.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/ucdavis-chancellor-video/

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2011, 07:41:01 PM
Far more reasonable than I would be, in their place. 

I'm more of a fan of the lex talionis approach to injustice, on a personal level.

8)
That is respectable.  I prefer to seek optimal exchange outcomes for myself...  like a whole damn paradigm for getting in my way a little.

The question of when, not if, and to what intensity the beatdowns result in riots will tell me a lot about the next few years.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 20, 2011, 10:17:06 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on November 20, 2011, 06:52:27 PM

What happened next?

What happened next?

HOLY SHIT :eek:

Though the more this happens the much, much longer this will take before it ends or will be forgotten.

edit: quote fail
It's like they forgot almost every lesson the Civil Rights Movement taught them. :lulz: Which is perfect for the OWS movement, frankly.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Occupy Tucson continues, with no violence from the cops, no hilarity from the counter-protesters, and no mess from the protesters themselves.

Once again, Tucson leads the way in doin' it wrong.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Seattle, of course, is keeping up their fine tradition of keeping radical hooligans in line:

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 02:01:57 AM
Occupy Tucson continues, with no violence from the cops, no hilarity from the counter-protesters, and no mess from the protesters themselves.

Once again, Tucson leads the way in doin' it wrong.

it's shrinking, too.  No strife = why bother?

Juana

Us, too. According to Lawful Good (who spends a lot of time at the courthouse/general vicinity even at ass o'clock), there's a couple arrests every night, but they agree who's going to be picked up for the night and they guy who sort of runs the whole thing goes over to the one place the FPD can't arrest him in the area and smirks at the cops instead.
No violence (which is odd, because they're not known for being gentle. At all.), just freakishly well behaved cops, a smirker, and a few others.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."