News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Diaspora

Started by Cramulus, December 21, 2010, 12:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I have 3 Diaspora invites left... who wants one?

my condition for giving you one is that you give invites to other people from the community here too, so more of us get onboard.  :mrgreen:

so far, my network is looking like St. Mae and Vexati0n.. Needs Moar!

UPDATE:

I made an Etherpad page to help manage invites http://piratepad.net/ObGFgISyye

+ if you want an invite, put your e-mail addy on the list

+ If you give out an invite, take the person you invited off the list

+ once you get an invite, add your diaspora handle to the list (and mention who are if it's not obvious)

Fractalbeard

I'm curious, and I have three weeks to check this shiznit out. I'm game.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Faust

I would certainly be interested, thank you. I will of course distribute further invites back into the community
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Richter

If this is the Diaspora Facebook alt thingie, yesplease, and agreed!
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

alright you three, you're in

but I forgot to ask -- what e-mail addy should I send the invite to? feel free to pm

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2010, 02:25:04 PM
alright you three, you're in

but I forgot to ask -- what e-mail addy should I send the invite to? feel free to pm

Could you be so kind as to send it to my gmail account as listed under my profile information?

Richter

I am in!  Anyone else need invites?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Quote from: Rurouzaru on December 21, 2010, 01:31:07 PM
I'm curious, and I have three weeks to check this shiznit out. I'm game.

e-mail sent to your principiadiscordia.com address

Quote from: Faust on December 21, 2010, 02:31:51 PM
Could you be so kind as to send it to my gmail account as listed under my profile information?

CRAP! I accidentally sent it to your hotmail account. After you get logged in, you can change your address though. Mybad!

AFK

I don't know because the Nanny filter won't let me look.  What is this diaspora thing anyway?  Sounds like a horrible disease.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

from the link in the OP
x-posted for our friends who are posting from an internet playpen:

What is Diaspora?

Diaspora is the social network that puts you in control of your information. You decide what you'd like to share, and with whom. You retain full ownership of all your information, including friend lists, messages, photos, and profile details.

Share what you want, with who you want.

Control: built-in

If you take twenty photos at a party, you can show the three least-incriminating to your coworkers, while posting the whole set to your friends. Your coworkers can't find out that they're seeing the expurgated version. Future employers can't either.

You can post updates to everyone, to just your close friends, to just your family, or to any other subset of your friends. It's easy to make these groups, called "aspects," and it's straightforward to share different things with different aspects.

Privacy: easy

Diaspora doesn't expose your information to advertisers, or to games you play, or to other websites you visit. It's inherently private – you tell Diaspora who gets to see those pictures of your kids, and only those people will see them. Period.

Find a home

Diaspora is not a single site — it's a collection of different sites, with different URLs, run by different people. But they all run the same software, and they all talk to each other. Each server is called a "pod." As the service grows, lots of these pods will join the Diaspora network.

The official pod, run by the project's founders, is http://joindiaspora.com.

All you have to do to get started is choose a home pod! That's where you'll go, log in, and see what your friends are up to. Your home can be at joindiaspora.com, or the Diaspora pod your university runs, or the Diaspora pod your friend sets up on her server.

No matter which home you choose, you can be friends with anyone, even if their home is somewhere else. The pods can securely communicate with each other, no matter where they're located.

bds

i just signed up to try and get an invite, i guess it'll be a while till they send me one.

also it looks cool, but seeing as it's Ruby/NoSQL and runs on CentOS, i don't think i'll be running a pod, lol

Faust

Signed up, have five invites.

So um, how do I add others in this thread?

Cramulus

here's my diaspora handle:

cramulus@joindiaspora.com

I think you'll find me if you put that into the search box?

Epimetheus

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2010, 04:29:56 PM

I just searched Cramulus and it went to you instantly. :)

My handle's Ekto.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Faust

Quote from: Epi on December 21, 2010, 04:40:12 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2010, 04:29:56 PM

I just searched Cramulus and it went to you instantly. :)

My handle's Ekto.

I think I just added you. I'm faust@