News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Why being different is bad

Started by DJRubberducky, August 16, 2005, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJRubberducky

A while ago, for reasons I'd really rather not discuss, I found myself in an online community populated by adolescents.  Like, physically adolescent, not just purveyors of sophomoric crap (which is absolutely no barometer of age).

I'm sure this is a more widely spread phenomenon, but it was here that I particularly noticed the tendency for people to believe that the idea of "free thinking" or "not being mainstream sheeple" entailed a systematic rejection of everything they heard.

And this, frateres et sorores, is complete and utter merde de vache.

If you systematically reject everything you hear, then you're just as firmly imprisoned by it as if you accepted it unquestioningly - and you're not any more "cool" or "independent" because you're wearing your mental prison inside-out.

The happy medium, the REAL free thinking, which they all seem to be missing, is to *gasp!* actually think about everything you hear (and about everything you think about everything you hear), consider that it might be right, consider that it might be wrong, then decide which of those possibilities is more likely and go from there.

What's wrong with agreeing with something that makes sense to you?  Since when did sharing a paradigm with other humans make you a mindless drone?  There are only a very few people on this planet who don't, and they're what we call insane - totally unable to function around other humans because they experience life as something so vastly different from what we do.

There's nothing inherently wrong with shopping at Hot Topic.  There's nothing inherently wrong with agreeing with a poster here, or with a political candidate, or with whatever message a mainstream alternative band is trying to project through their songs (though you might chuckle a bit at the irony if they're trying to stir anti-establishment feelings).

What goes wrong is when you forget to periodically question why you're thinking the way you're thinking.  But what the hell; that's your problem.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

not bad at all.

I'll agree to disagree with you about shopping at Hot Topic, but other than that you made a valuable point.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Zurtok Khan

So, in other words DJ, freethinking isn't rejecting everything, it's considering everything?

:lol:
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Damn! Does this mean we have to use thinking skills?
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Zurtok Khan

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCDamn! Does this mean we have to use thinking skills?

No, that would kill most of the posters here.

Or should that say, "That would kill most of the posers here."?

Ehh, whats the difference?
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Zurtok Khan
Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCDamn! Does this mean we have to use thinking skills?

No, that would kill most of the posters here.

Or should that say, "That would kill most of the posers here."?

Ehh, whats the difference?

Don't take it personally. It's just the way Amerricuh [and the world, which is really Amerricuh too] is getting.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

illusion

I like this rant. Sometimes I'm guilty of not wanting to agree just to be contrary and I need someone to point it out to me. So thanks for doing that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Best apology for Grayness evar.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Brother Pavraki

Does this mean that in an attempt to reject all things grey, one actually becomes a different kind of grey?
And Brother Pavraki looked up to the sky and understood.
For there is not a soul in the world that is without an inner voice to tell it what to think.

KILL IT
KILL IT
KILL INN VOICE FROM
  SRS5=

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I was going to make a poser joke here but its just too late.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Brother PavrakiDoes this mean that in an attempt to reject all things grey, one actually becomes a different kind of grey?

Nope.  It just means that the original post was an apology for Grayness.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.