News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Hello fellow musicians, looking for some advice

Started by AFK, January 19, 2013, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So now that I am enjoying a situation where the household income is just my income, and I have some new financial freedom (read, I can buy the shit I want, when I want) I'm looking to get myself a synth.  Basically, something I can use for composition that would give me some great flexibility in terms of the kinds of sounds I can create, but also just play when I want to tinkle the (faux) ivories.

Anything you have that you'd recommend?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Wish I could.

However- Naked Guy plays the synth. I might ask him.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

As someone who is quite keen on having faux ivories that approximate real ones well, I am happy with the Roland FP-4. Not very portable, it has many respectable keyboardy and chromatic percussion sounds, plays nicely and I'm sure that the wizardry of MIDI would make it, coupled with a PC, sound a million shades of strange, though I haven't tried this.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

LMNO

What's your budget? Kurzweil makes pretty awesome, weighted-key synths. But they are fairly pricey.

AFK

I'd probably finance it.  I was actually thinking about a Kurzweil.  My music Prof had a really cool one with tons of voices and sounds, and even had this slider bar where you could hit a key, but then change the pitch by sliding a finger up and downthis ribbon. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.