News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

Yeah, I'm kinda digging Vonnegut's writing style, I may have to get some more of his work once I finish Cat's Cradle. Do you have any suggestions?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Placid Dingo

Ive only read Cats Cradle but Slaughterhouse Five is meant to be phenomenal.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Just got done reading On Writing and now Im reading The Reactionary Mind.
Im going to have to re-read The Authoritarians after it, they have a very nice synergy.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Placid Dingo

By Stephen King? My writing teacher worshipped that book.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on January 28, 2012, 03:35:51 AM
By Stephen King? My writing teacher worshipped that book.

Best writing book I've ever read. Bar none.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Juana

A biography of Andrew Jackson called "American Lion" by Jon Mecham
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Reeducation

Just read (again) Cosmic Trigger 1-3, Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising by RAW.
When I first read these, my english was not so good and things were new and interesting, but now I get the message:
8-circuits in my ass.

It's like when you take psychedelics and you go all WOAH, this is real, but then after a while you understand it's not.

Right now, I'm:   :sad: :eek: :lulz:

And if somebody is offended, I'm sorry, but it's time to wake up. Again.

edit: I never believed that there were 8-circuits or any circuits, but like many I believed I could "use" that model to "improve something". But it's impossible to "use" models, because they do not exist. All you can do, is to spin them around inside your head. That's about it. With every model.
I am very calm

Reeducation

Now reading Death of an Ordinary Man by Glen Duncan.
It's been a good read so far. On page 100.

It's about this dude who is dead, who then tries to solve what killed him and so on.
I am very calm

LMNO

Quote from: Reeducation on February 01, 2012, 11:38:38 AM
Just read (again) Cosmic Trigger 1-3, Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising by RAW.
When I first read these, my english was not so good and things were new and interesting, but now I get the message:
8-circuits in my ass.

It's like when you take psychedelics and you go all WOAH, this is real, but then after a while you understand it's not.

edit: I never believed that there were 8-circuits or any circuits, but like many I believed I could "use" that model to "improve something". But it's impossible to "use" models, because they do not exist. All you can do, is to spin them around inside your head. That's about it. With every model.

I'd disagree, but you seem like you've made a decision.

Cramulus

8-circuits in my ass.

Shame that you did all that reading and still couldn't figure out how to make use of it.

Brotep

lol

well said, lmno

Aaaaaaanyway, almost finished with Paul Veyne's Did the Greeks Believe in Their Myths? which tackles its titular question as well as the more general question of what it means to believe in contradictory "programs of truth" simultaneously. Really cool book, do recommend.

Cramulus

that sounds really interesting.

So tell us - did the Greeks believe their myths?

Brotep

Quote from: Cramulus on February 01, 2012, 09:42:25 PM
that sounds really interesting.

So tell us - did the Greeks believe their myths?

Don't want to spoil it--has a surprise ending.

Just kidding. The average Greek would profess belief but be completely weirded out if you told them Athena had just gotten married, because it was implicit to the myths and unconsciously understood by the Greeks that mythic time was different from ordinary time. Typically historians didn't believe in the gods, but they had this notion that utter crap cannot erupt out of nowhere, so if a myth was too fantastic to believe, they would attempt to discern the kernel of truth it was based on. Interestingly, they often still doubted the stories they collected but felt a duty as historiographers to report the tales as they found them. This "objectivity" lent them a peculiar authority.

By the way, happy birthday.

The Good Reverend Roger

8-circuits in my ass.

Yes, I know.  All those maps we had in the army were just used as modern art.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

1.  You're a fucking idiot.  Which model do you think advertisers and political action groups use?  Do you dispute that they are in fact effective?

2.  You're a fucking idiot.  If you were "sorry for offending people", you wouldn't have followed the apology with a fucking condescending remark.

Now fuck off.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.