News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Help me understand the tea party

Started by Worm Rider, September 14, 2011, 01:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 14, 2011, 03:08:42 PM
I am saying that your own bigotry toward the Tea Party, Republicans and Conservatives doesn't stem solely from your intolerance for bigots.

No, I have a problem with stupidity, as well.

There are some conservatives that I actually have quite a bit of respect for...PJ O'Rourke is one example.  When he has something to say, I generally tend to give him a fair hearing.  Sarah Palin, Peter King, and Rand Paul, not so much.

But, please, explain to me:  How does abhoring a political outlook, and/or a collection of what's basically self-disenfranchized KKK members put me on the same level as, say, Lester Maddox?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 14, 2011, 03:10:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 03:08:20 PM
I think DP might have confused "Bigotry" with "Bias".

Yes, I am biased against people who are bigots.

I wouldn't say that there's an equivalence, however.

I meant in this manner:

QuoteWorld English Dictionary
bigot  (ˈbɪɡət) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
   a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

But I hate the dems, too.  Does that mean I'm bigoted against sissies?
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

oh, and:

GOD DAMNIT DOK HAVE YOU GOT ME DEFENDING THE FUCKING TEA PARTY!?!?!

:madbanana:

I fucking hate you.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

Incidentally, that means that hating Nazism makes you a bigot.

Do you hate Nazism, DP?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 14, 2011, 03:14:11 PM
oh, and:

GOD DAMNIT DOK HAVE YOU GOT ME DEFENDING THE FUCKING TEA PARTY!?!?!

:madbanana:

I fucking hate you.

Don't blame me, you were doing it before I showed up.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I meant in this manner:

— n
   a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Bolded for the applicable word here.  I am biased against a bigoted idea, which is other than my own.

I am not biased against a non-bigoted idea, if it is other than my own.

Any =/= some.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 03:18:15 PM

I meant in this manner:

— n

Bolded for the applicable word here.  I am biased against a bigoted idea, which is other than my own.

Any =/= some.

Nonsense.  If you stand against fascism, you kiss David Duke.
Molon Lube

LMNO

If you hate Rush Limbaugh, you are Rush Limbaugh.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Nope, I'm sure there are plenty of bigots in the Tea Party.  Statistically, there would have to be.  It is a bit (quite a bit) of a generalization to say the entire group

(I'm pretty shit for analogy's today, but then I'm supposed to be working atm.)

How is it a generalization to say a group that you have to be a bigot to be accepted in is 100% bigots?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 03:20:26 PM
If you hate Rush Limbaugh, you are Rush Limbaugh.

If you didn't approve of George Wallace, you run a death camp for Jews.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 14, 2011, 03:12:34 PM
I am saying that your own bigotry toward the Tea Party, Republicans and Conservatives doesn't stem solely from your intolerance for bigots.

No, I have a problem with stupidity, as well.

There are some conservatives that I actually have quite a bit of respect for...PJ O'Rourke is one example.  When he has something to say, I generally tend to give him a fair hearing.  Sarah Palin, Peter King, and Rand Paul, not so much.

But, please, explain to me:  How does abhorring a political outlook, and/or a collection of what's basically self-disenfranchized KKK members put me on the same level as, say, Lester Maddox?

I'm not comparing you to Lester Maddox or anyone else for that matter.  I'm just calling it like I see it.

It occurs to me that people can show with varying degrees of bigotry.  But it's still bigotry.

Bias, to my understanding, deals primarily with preconceived notions.  Yours aren't preconceived but built on knowledge and your own reasoning.  But if your reasoning leads you to intolerance of someone else's beliefs and opinions, it is bigotry.

If I'm misunderstanding these concepts or explaining them incorrectly, please correct me.  I wouldn't want to be walking around with this in my head all wrong.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on September 14, 2011, 03:20:33 PM
Nope, I'm sure there are plenty of bigots in the Tea Party.  Statistically, there would have to be.  It is a bit (quite a bit) of a generalization to say the entire group

(I'm pretty shit for analogy's today, but then I'm supposed to be working atm.)

How is it a generalization to say a group that you have to be a bigot to be accepted in is 100% bigots?

Because people who believe in diversity are the real bigots.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 14, 2011, 03:22:31 PM
I'm not comparing you to Lester Maddox or anyone else for that matter.  I'm just calling it like I see it.

It occurs to me that people can show with varying degrees of bigotry.  But it's still bigotry.

Bias, to my understanding, deals primarily with preconceived notions.  Yours aren't preconceived but built on knowledge and your own reasoning.  But if your reasoning leads you to intolerance of someone else's beliefs and opinions, it is bigotry.

If I'm misunderstanding these concepts or explaining them incorrectly, please correct me.  I wouldn't want to be walking around with this in my head all wrong.

LMNO already corrected you.  You ignored it.

And I am a bigot.   :lulz:

Dok,
Loves when people do that shit.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

BRB.  I have to go to a meeting, in which I will express disdain for people who aren't just like me.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 03:18:15 PM

I meant in this manner:

— n

Any =/= some.

Well as it happens, your reply didn't strike me as bigoted, and I wasn't calling you one, but I understand how it goes around here when there's blood in the water.
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 14, 2011, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on September 14, 2011, 03:22:31 PM

LMNO already corrected you.  You ignored it.

And I am a bigot.   :lulz:

Dok,
Loves when people do that shit.

Sorry, I can't keep up with you guys fast enough when you're double teaming me.