News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Oh, Israel...

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 24, 2012, 03:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Man Green on October 27, 2012, 04:32:44 PM
I hadn't realized that performing acts of war violence on civilian populations is what defines a "fascist State"! Thanks for the education, Holist. I can now go back to class on Monday with an essay conclusively proving that all governments ever are technically Fascist. I'm sure I'll get an A!

The mind boggles.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Dildo Argentino

Thanks, Verbal Mike. I found this exchange educational and find nothing to disagree with. I did not know and find it alarming that your views don't have a single voice in the Knesset. Why did you decide to move to Israel is the logical question - if you are willing to discuss it.

Dildo Argentino

Also, although I think we understand each other well enough, "fascist" is not the actual term we should have been using. "Racially discriminating", perhaps, or "apartheid" would have been more accurate. Bombing civilian populations for the crime of being nationals of a country taken over by an opressive dictatorship (or indeed the tactical advantage) qualifies, in my possibly unorthodox view.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Israel has a lot of other earmarks of fascism; military/government violence against a minority population is not the only contributing factor. Your false equivalence is, indeed, absurd to the point of being mind-boggling, Holist.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Verbal Mike

Quote from: holist on October 27, 2012, 05:09:51 PM
Thanks, Verbal Mike. I found this exchange educational and find nothing to disagree with. I did not know and find it alarming that your views don't have a single voice in the Knesset. Why did you decide to move to Israel is the logical question - if you are willing to discuss it.
I do have people who represent my views on the Palestinian and diplomatic issues in Knesset, just not many and none in the coalition.
I've mentioned elsewhere, I think, why I moved back, and it's not a permanent move (yet), and I don't want to derail this thread.
Too lazy to find where I might have mentioned it (my thread about the insurance-related dilemma I had about a month ago) or to start writing about it elsewhere right now.

Quote from: holist on October 27, 2012, 05:15:11 PM
Also, although I think we understand each other well enough, "fascist" is not the actual term we should have been using. "Racially discriminating", perhaps, or "apartheid" would have been more accurate. Bombing civilian populations for the crime of being nationals of a country taken over by an opressive dictatorship (or indeed the tactical advantage) qualifies, in my possibly unorthodox view.
I'm not interested in a discussion of semantics, but I stand by my statement that "Israel is in many ways a lot like a fascist state", while acknowledging that the other terms you have proposed are distinct from "fascist" and have bearing on the situation as well.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.