News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meunster

How come when you guys link news articles you don't copy and paste them into pastebin then link?

Personally I don't like giving news companies traffic and pennies from adds.
Poe's law ;)

LMNO

1. we lazy
2. why aren't you memorizing the url and typing it into the navigation bar?

Meunster

Quote from: LMNO on October 06, 2015, 07:31:27 PM
1. we lazy
2. why aren't you memorizing the url and typing it into the navigation bar?

Good point. Hm, I'm going to go do research into chrome addons that will help me not give money to people I don't want to.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on October 06, 2015, 07:24:38 PM
How come when you guys link news articles you don't copy and paste them into pastebin then link?

Because fuck you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2015, 08:01:04 PM

Because fuck you.

And beyond this, I like writers getting paid.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Because fuck you.

That, too.  I just don't feel he rates an explanation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

When we dont want the refer data going through we break the link with hxxp so people have to copy and past the url.

I dont care if we are giving companies pennies from Ads, if there was a security risk of them knowing there is traffic from here then I would consider otherwise.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Meunster

Because fuck you.

I donate to places like npr, but I'll be damned if I give places like the Huffington post a penny.
Poe's law ;)

Trivial

Quote from: LMNO on October 06, 2015, 01:07:25 PM
Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on October 06, 2015, 05:01:16 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 06, 2015, 03:15:50 AM
Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on October 05, 2015, 08:25:01 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 05, 2015, 04:51:35 AM
Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on October 05, 2015, 03:07:13 AM
The more I learn about entropy the less I think of it as a chaos phenomenon.  It's the reason why things happen the way they do.

How are you defining chaos, here?
Randomness I guess.  Been awhile since I've tried to write it down been 10 years since I've had to use thermoscience. Things like crystals don't form against entopy but because of it. They're seeking the lowest energy state and it's less chaotic than before.

Sort of thinking that the universe started as chaos and will end as chaos, but seems to be less so in the middle due to entropy.

Chaos, properly, encompasses both entropy and emergence, which are the forces which contribute to the total order and disorder of energy and matter.

Well, yes order is a subset of chaos. Then we get into chaos as everything, and entropy is a part of it.  I'm stuck on chaos=disorder and probably shouldn't be.   Entropy is more of an agent of change, and things are more ordered with it than without it.  I was thinking went back to my days of arguing on creationist boards.  They think of entropy as everything getting disordered, but if we didn't have it, every chemical reaction could spontaneously reverse, no energy required which to me is more disordered than ordered.  Then I'd muse about people atomizing.  Good times.

Not sure if I'm cut out for discussing the nature of chaos on a board that has probably argued about it a thousand times over before I even thought to look here.

There are a few old conversations about chaos = order+disorder and all that.  Not to shamelessly plug*, but much of the results were distilled into the Chao te Ching, if you don't mind that sort of thing.

*This is a shameless plug.

Shameless plugs are best plugs.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Quote from: Meunster on October 06, 2015, 08:52:01 PM

Because fuck you.

I donate to places like npr, but I'll be damned if I give places like the Huffington post a penny.

The HuffPo is a rag which doesn't pay their writers anyway.  Screw them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you land on their site, they're still getting traffic no matter how you disguise the URL, and you're still registering as a view of the ads they're running unless you have adblock or similar installed. All they're not getting is referrer information, which is irrelevant unless for some reason we don't want the site to know where the link is posted. The way referral pennies work is that if the referral site is set up to make money from referrals, clicking the link would give Faust a penny or two... but that's not how PD works.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 06, 2015, 10:51:58 PM

If you land on their site, they're still getting traffic no matter how you disguise the URL, and you're still registering as a view of the ads they're running unless you have adblock or similar installed. All they're not getting is referrer information, which is irrelevant unless for some reason we don't want the site to know where the link is posted. The way referral pennies work is that if the referral site is set up to make money from referrals, clicking the link would give Faust a penny or two... but that's not how PD works.

I think he was asking why we don't copy the entire text of the article into pastebin and then link people to that instead of the article, so there's the one person viewing ads and no one else. Because copyrights aren't a thing on the Internet or something.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 06, 2015, 11:13:44 PM

I think he was asking why we don't copy the entire text of the article into pastebin and then link people to that instead of the article, so there's the one person viewing ads and no one else. Because copyrights aren't a thing on the Internet or something.

Oh, fuck that. I am not above stealing content for my own personal enjoyment but I'm not going to steal and distribute it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Meunster

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 06, 2015, 11:13:44 PM

Yeah I see where that could fuck the forum over.
Poe's law ;)

Trivial

Global Citizen articles on Facebook really attract the sexists and xenophobes.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.