News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

This forum is stagnate, and here is what I will do about it.

Started by Kai, June 10, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 11, 2012, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 11, 2012, 06:29:31 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 11, 2012, 06:21:04 AM
Epidemiology is interesting too.

And something I may be able to contribute to from time to time.

That would be rad!

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing on lunch break later.  :lulz:

Do you have a PD email? I don't check PD on my work computer, or can otherwise wait til I get home.

In theory, I do have one, but I have long since lost the knowledge for how to access it. I'll PM you my other email address though!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

I forgot the password to mine and I can't reset it the regular way, it says I have to go through the domain guy. Faust?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I'm interested in the science of computer-mediated communication.

edited to add: Here's their open access journal:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1083-6101
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Da6s

Climatology. Geosciences in general. Especially the strange, unusual, and potentially catastrophic. Or once catastrophic.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Da6s on June 12, 2012, 08:34:49 AM
Climatology. Geosciences in general. Especially the strange, unusual, and potentially catastrophic. Or once catastrophic.

THIS! Oh yes, environmental sciences make me tingly in my pance.
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 11, 2012, 05:47:39 AM
I'm not really interested in medicine (as interesting as it is), but in epidemiology, which has more to do with human social behavior. At least from where I'm standing.

Also I second Pix on the neuroscience, particularly social neuroscience.
Yep. Also stuff on mental illness is of interest to me-

Nigel, slightly related, I am in the second chapter of a book by cognitive neuroscientist, Cordelia Fine, called Delusions of Gender which argues that nurture and societal memes and constructs are the core reason for differing performances in certain fields by gender.

Are you or anyone else here interested in getting my thoughts on it after I've finished OR a brief summary chapter by chapter? So far she is funny and engaging, I'm enjoying it because it seems so far, to have pretty much affirmed my suspicion that environment has a much larger part to play than any innate programming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on June 14, 2012, 12:07:58 AM

I'm not really interested in medicine (as interesting as it is), but in epidemiology, which has more to do with human social behavior. At least from where I'm standing.

Nigel, slightly related, I am in the second chapter of a book by cognitive neuroscientist, Cordelia Fine, called Delusions of Gender which argues that nurture and societal memes and constructs are the core reason for differing performances in certain fields by gender.

Are you or anyone else here interested in getting my thoughts on it after I've finished OR a brief summary chapter by chapter? So far she is funny and engaging, I'm enjoying it because it seems so far, to have pretty much affirmed my suspicion that environment has a much larger part to play than any innate programming.

ABsofuckinglutely! I kind of think a chapter-by-chapter summary would be my preference... more better for ongoing conversation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Oooh!  Pixie, I would like to read your thoughts on that as well.  i don't know how much use I'll be in congtributing until July, though.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 14, 2012, 01:33:49 AM

ABsofuckinglutely! I kind of think a chapter-by-chapter summary would be my preference... more better for ongoing conversation.
oh oh oh! and Garbo is reading it too :D Okay tomorrow I shall go back to the first chapter and read it again. I shall start a fread in Literate Chaotic on it!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on June 14, 2012, 03:18:35 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 14, 2012, 01:33:49 AM

oh oh oh! and Garbo is reading it too :D Okay tomorrow I shall go back to the first chapter and read it again. I shall start a fread in Literate Chaotic on it!

Hooray!