News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Snickerdoodles

Started by Juana, June 13, 2010, 11:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

This recipe is probably the best one I've ever had.

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cream together butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

The original recipe calls for shortening, which I don't like so I substituted more butter instead. I've seen other recipes that call for sticking the dough in the fridge for a while before you roll and dip them, which I did with about a third of these. They didn't expand at all, which I didn't like. The rest of them weren't refrigerated before I rolled them, so they flattened out while baking. I like them better that way and they have a better texture, too, imo. The cookies stay soft and light for about three days if you stick them in a ziplock baggie when they're still warm as well.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Sir Squid Diddimus

No pics??
I am SORELY disappointed.

Juana

Sorry, lol. I made a quadruple batch recently and they were gone and/or divvied up before I got my hands on a camera. But I plan to make more sometime this week, so pictures then.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yum! I love snickerdoodles... my son loves baking them, I'll give him this recipe to try. Thanks!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Oh wow, I made that exact recipe a few months ago, and brought the results to school.

They truly were delicious!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jenne

Snickerdoodles were my fave cookie of my mom's besides boiled cookies when I was younger...

AFK

Snickerdoodles are a rather tasty cookie.  Though, I prefer a nice homemade raisin oatmeal. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BADGE OF HONOR

WTF why would you need cream of tartar when you're not beating egg whites?  This makes no sense.

(also snickerdoodles just taste bland to me, the most pointless cookie)
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Juana

Ok, round two. Altered the recipe again, swapping white sugar out for brown. I did a double batch, so I had to add seven tablespoons of extra flour (so three and a half for a single batch, yes?). Also, 400*f is too hot, but 350* is perfect.

They are tiny and delicious.

Nurse Enabler

Quote from: Jenne on June 16, 2010, 07:18:05 PM
Snickerdoodles were my fave cookie of my mom's besides boiled cookies when I was younger...
boiled cookies? please give recipe.
Tell me you love me.  Don't make me get the box cutters.

Nurse Enabler

Quote from: RWHN - On Hiatus on June 16, 2010, 07:30:11 PM
Snickerdoodles are a rather tasty cookie.  Though, I prefer a nice homemade raisin oatmeal. 
I like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Although oatmeal raisin is good too.
Tell me you love me.  Don't make me get the box cutters.

Jenne

Quote from: Nurse Enabler on September 05, 2010, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: Jenne on June 16, 2010, 07:18:05 PM
boiled cookies? please give recipe.

BOILED NO-BAKE COOKIES   

1 stick (1/4 lb) butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk or coconut milk
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla or coconut rum

These novelty cookies don't require any baking.
In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, cocoa and milk or coconut milk. Heat until boiling, then boil for 1 minute (a total of about 6 minutes - or until the mixture reaches about 238°F on a candy thermometer.

Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop by teaspoonful onto wax or parchment paper and let stand in a cool, dry place until set.

...this was found online.  My mom left out the coconut, though, because she hates it, lol.