News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Badly Flawed Signal

Started by Doktor Howl, March 23, 2015, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

The only way to affect real change, I am told by wiser heads than myself, is to find the fatal flaw in a false belief, which will allow the entire false structure to collapse.

Say, for example, that a middle-aged man is walking through a portion of Congress Street that is under contruction, and has those wooden tunnels.  At say, 11:30 PM last Saturday Night.  And just suppose he sees a young lady coming the other direction with a look of terror on her face.  And - just as a hypothetical, imagine there are two other college students, both male, following her and cat-calling and making lewd suggestions, with the sort of smiles that say that the evenings entertainments might involve more than scaring the shit out of a 21-ish girl.

To futher the example, the middle aged man calls them cunts and gives them a one-time offer to fuck off.  The young lady panics completely and freezes, as her instincts betray her...So the situation does not end, and instead becomes a testosterone thing.  The offer expires, and a fairly brutal beating ensues.

That's how it might seem, but every assumption is a product of bad signal.

In no particular order:

1.  The boys thought they were beer-fueled studs.  If they had been, they would have had willing girls that wanted to do more than act like a terrified bunny in a world of coyotes.
2.  The notion that this isn't exactly what the boys were after.
3.  The girl had it in her head - for reasons unknown - that walking in a deserted section of the road, blocked by wooden panels from vision to and from the club entrances 200 meters away, was a proper plan.
4.  The idea that the midde-aged man was there to save her, rather than merely taking out his aggressions and pent-up frustration in a way that generated no moral qualms.
5.  That there was a fist fight.  Middle aged men do not win fist fights with men less than half their age.  This may have been the most important part; the boys expected a fist fight.  The did not expect 30 inches of #35 chain.

In addition several basic instincts were ignored.

1.  The girl sought cover behind her "defender", instead of hauling ass as fast as possible while said "defender" was between her and her tormentors.
2.  The boys were presented with something out of the ordinary, something almost surreal, and (probably due to intoxication) attempted to bluff and talk shit to a sober man who had absolutely no interest in what they had to say, and was in fact moving up for a confrontation involving lots of SHUT UP LIKE HELL.
3.  The boys failed to register the fact that a middle-aged man most likely has kids the exact same age as the young lady.
4.  The boys seemed to fall to the - understandable - belief that this was a white knight thing, which of course it was not.  It was an excuse.

The interesting point here is that if any of the above assumptions/instincts had been properly examined, the beating would not have occurred, and - more importantly - a middle aged man would not have VERY stiff muscles in his back.

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Holy crap dude. No other injuries besides stiffness I take it?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 23, 2015, 11:30:36 AM
Holy crap dude. No other injuries besides stiffness I take it?

Not on me.  I got a little carried away and yanked the crap out of my right paraspinal.   The girl was not physically harmed at all.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Did it work from a "working out pent up aggression" standpoint?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 23, 2015, 11:59:08 AM
Did it work from a "working out pent up aggression" standpoint?

Quite nicely.  It was win-win all around.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Tucson has the hero it deserves.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 23, 2015, 12:25:18 PM

No.  It deserves sharks strapped to skateboards.

And the point is that this wasn't "heroic".  I wanted to fight.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

I assume they survived.
I'm glad you had fun and that it ended this way instead of the other ways it could have ended.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Meunster

This is why we need to arm the general populace so we can achieve true equality. If the girl was caring a long arm I'm sure she'd get alot less cat calls.
Poe's law ;)

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2015, 12:26:54 PM

I guess I meant Tucson deserves middle aged men roaming the streets looking for someone to fight.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Meunster on March 23, 2015, 01:55:34 PM
This is why we need to arm the general populace so we can achieve true equality. If the girl was caring a long arm I'm sure she'd get alot less cat calls.

This is Arizona.  Everyone involved would probably have been armed, except they'd been to the pub.

But thank you.  I shall place in my Big Book of Weird Right Wing Bullshit for later.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 23, 2015, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2015, 12:26:54 PM

I guess I meant Tucson deserves middle aged men roaming the streets looking for someone to fight.

Well, the fuckers can find someone else.  I didn't get a glove laid on me, and my back hurts like hell.   :lulz:

Also, I am now in love with sharks strapped to skateboards.  With rockets tied to them.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Reginald Ret on March 23, 2015, 01:10:36 PM
I assume they survived.
I'm glad you had fun and that it ended this way instead of the other ways it could have ended.

If you kill them, they don't learn.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2015, 05:15:59 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on March 23, 2015, 01:10:36 PM
I assume they survived.

If you kill them, they don't learn.

This!

No such thing as a fair fight, but if it's not educational something is missing.

It's just basic street sense that if you're called out by 1 older man, apparently armed only with a GRIN, and you outnumber him it's time to stop and think.

Sadly even basic sense is in short supply. I don't blame you for taking the opportunity man.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 23, 2015, 05:50:13 PM

It's just basic street sense that if you're called out by 1 older man, apparently armed only with a GRIN, and you outnumber him it's time to stop and think.

Sadly even basic sense is in short supply.

Booze was in stock, though, which may at least partially explain this.
Molon Lube