News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Innapropriate Topic Title

Started by Dimocritus, January 18, 2010, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Id appreciate a critique of this, to see in which ways it can be bettered

Nurtured Fear

Dolto postulates that in medieval times, children ran around the village freely, but since the industrial revolution, there has been an ever increasing living under the conditions of cloisterment. Not that we have much choice about it, since in the cities, a wandering child is exposed to a multitude of strangers that may or may not have bad intentions.1

The modern child lives in constant abstraction from experience: he doesnt walk as a means of transportation, he gets transported from one cloister to another; it also seems to be a common feature in parenting to enunciate prohibitions "in the name of your own safety", that, without an explanation, become an imperative that must be tested through experience. Test the imperative, and you shall be hurt or die.

So, if we dont "test" we wont be hurt; we sacrifice so many things in the name of security, which can range from liberty, possibilities, imagination or even desire itself (why not our civil rights while were at it!).

In an era where security is our top priority, there is so much potential wasted; security is stagnation, didnt "someone important" mention a certain metaphor about the comparison between standing still and walking? If you stand still in a fixated spot, you get a false sense of security that sooner or later will be dispelled, of course, if you walk theres the possibility that you might trip or fall into a ditch; there is both danger in stagnation and in dynamism, for that is the human condition.

Do you find it strange that we have an upcoming generation of thrill seekers, addicts, criminals and video gamers? It is so, because in their sad, security oriented lives, they need to instill risks in controlled situations and environments. Do you also find it strange how civil liberties are given away as freebies to anyone that gives a half assed terror discourse?

Thank yourself, your parents and the education you received, for making you a pussy that would sacrifice anything because of fear, for some fleeting sense of security. And never forget, that the next pandemic is right around the corner, and that there's terrorists among us! Cheers!

1.   Dolto, Francoise "La Cause des enfants"
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Captain Utopia

It reminded me of Fight Club.  I dunno, you could try playing that up and then morphing it into a "hahaha I'm totally going to use your stupid fears against you to make you do stupid shit for my own amusement and profit".  But better wroten, natch.

The Johnny

Quote from: FP on January 22, 2010, 02:14:39 AM
It reminded me of Fight Club.  I dunno, you could try playing that up and then morphing it into a "hahaha I'm totally going to use your stupid fears against you to make you do stupid shit for my own amusement and profit".  But better wroten, natch.

Goin' italics style on it is a good idea, although the bibliographical reference would have to be dropped... probably would make it more interesting for the common person do...

I need to concentrate and invoke my alter ego.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Payne

Quote from: FP on January 20, 2010, 05:10:55 PM

I like this. It's given me a few ideas for logos too, riffing off of that idea.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: JohNyx on January 22, 2010, 01:34:35 AM
Id appreciate a critique of this, to see in which ways it can be bettered

Nurtured Fear

Dolto postulates that in medieval times, children ran around the village freely, but since the industrial revolution, there has been an ever increasing living under the conditions of cloisterment. Not that we have much choice about it, since in the cities, a wandering child is exposed to a multitude of strangers that may or may not have bad intentions.1

The modern child lives in constant abstraction from experience: he doesnt walk as a means of transportation, he gets transported from one cloister to another; it also seems to be a common feature in parenting to enunciate prohibitions "in the name of your own safety", that, without an explanation, become an imperative that must be tested through experience. Test the imperative, and you shall be hurt or die.

So, if we dont "test" we wont be hurt; we sacrifice so many things in the name of security, which can range from liberty, possibilities, imagination or even desire itself (why not our civil rights while were at it!).

In an era where security is our top priority, there is so much potential wasted; security is stagnation, didnt "someone important" mention a certain metaphor about the comparison between standing still and walking? If you stand still in a fixated spot, you get a false sense of security that sooner or later will be dispelled, of course, if you walk theres the possibility that you might trip or fall into a ditch; there is both danger in stagnation and in dynamism, for that is the human condition.

Do you find it strange that we have an upcoming generation of thrill seekers, addicts, criminals and video gamers? It is so, because in their sad, security oriented lives, they need to instill risks in controlled situations and environments. Do you also find it strange how civil liberties are given away as freebies to anyone that gives a half assed terror discourse?

Thank yourself, your parents and the education you received, for making you a pussy that would sacrifice anything because of fear, for some fleeting sense of security. And never forget, that the next pandemic is right around the corner, and that there's terrorists among us! Cheers!

1.   Dolto, Francoise "La Cause des enfants"

I love it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Dimocritus

Nyx, it's awesome. I'd take it as is (though, I'd format it like a letter). The last paragraph is priceless.

And, to anyone who wants to participate, harsh language (ie swearing) is almost encouraged. Apparently the actual writing staff is a bunch of coward sissies that wouldn't take a stand on anything, let alone dare to use offensive language. My pal, the editor, is sick of it, so feel free to cuss it up!
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Payne on January 22, 2010, 11:41:41 AM
I like this. It's given me a few ideas for logos too, riffing off of that idea.
Cheers - when I made it the idea was to make a bunch of completely different logos such that there would be no single "official" logo.  Since I'm a lazy fucker though, that plan kinda stalled.  But I think it would be rather neat to have a bunch to choose from.

The Johnny

Im gonna rework it, and maybe add a bit about frivolous lawsuits regarding injuries.

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Dear Francoise D.,

I found it very interesting, that children in medieval times ran around the village freely, unlike nowadays, in which they (and previously us) live in cloisterment. Not that we have much choice about it, since in the cities, a wandering child is exposed to a multitude of strangers that may or may not have bad intentions.

Now our children live detached from experience: they don't walk to school experiencing the climate, or by chance find their friends along the way; the high technology that surrounds us, and a bunch of lazy parents, makes for a lot of prohibitions "in the name of your own safety".

-Hey kid, don't touch that electrical radiator, more so, don't spill water on top of it!
-But why daddy?
-Because I said so, now stop bothering me with questions.

Aren't children so annoying with their questions? Why is the sky blue? Why does that dog growl? Why is summer hot? Why is candy sweet? Because that's the way it is, now shut up and leave me alone.  

But children are naturally curious; it's a part of their development as thinking persons. And by cracky! They want and will test why and how things work, if they aren't given a proper explanation. And so they either touch the radiator and get burned or pour water on it and end up dead.

Yes kid, test the imperative and I will show you suffering. .  

So, when those kids grow up, what do you get? You get a society that thinks (knows!) that rules are in place for their own safety and good; sacrificing liberty, possibilities, imagination and desire itself (why not civil rights while we're at it!) for a fleeting sense of security.

Francoise, please do tell me, do you find it strange that we have an upcoming generation of thrill seekers, addicts, criminals and video gamers? It is so, because in their sad, security oriented lives, they need to instill risks in controlled situations and environments. Do you also find it strange how civil liberties are given away as freebies to anyone that gives a half-baked terror discourse?

We are surrounded by momma's boys that would sacrifice anything because of fear! They really believe that terrorists live among us! And that the next pandemic is right around the corner! Please dear Francoise, I beg you tell me, what can we do?

Desperately needing an answer,

-The XXI century

-B.F. Skinner

Dimocritus

:mittens:

This is really good! Now I'm not sure what to use first, this or Cains Rules for Life!

I still haven't received the schedule. I'mma get on him about getting this done, it will be sheer awesomeness.

The Johnny

Thank you dimo.

Depending how long it can be and how far away is the deadline i can keep reworking it.

-B.F. Skinner

Dimocritus

Quote from: JohNyx on January 23, 2010, 10:36:25 PM

Thank you dimo.

Depending how long it can be and how far away is the deadline i can keep reworking it.

Well, as of now, I'm thinking of using this first. It relates to the propaganda well and I think it's a great opening remark. If you still feel like reworking it, go ahead, and I'll just snag the latest draft come the time for publication.