News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

The Principia Code

Started by phi, January 27, 2010, 01:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This weekend I will attempt a Jacques Derrida style deconstruction of the PD.

It will be convoluted, and you will suffer brainhurt.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 27, 2010, 08:43:58 PM
When you can do that to the latest Taylor Swift single, you will have progressed to the next level.

Who?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 08:51:26 PM
When you can do that to the latest Taylor Swift single, you will have progressed to the next level.

Who?

The newest teen sensation, does watered-down pop/'country' songs, etc etc.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I thought I might try that until I read the lyrics of a few of her songs....
FUCK YOU LMNO.... GODDAMNIT!!!!!

I can't unread that level of shit, you know.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 27, 2010, 08:52:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 08:51:26 PM

Who?

The newest teen sensation, does watered-down pop/'country' songs, etc etc.

:crankey:

That sort of shit makes Buck Owen and Hank puke in their coffins.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

NOT GONNA LOOK

Ratssinis

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 09:06:13 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

NOT GONNA LOOK

Good call, I could FEEL my IQ dropping.

phi

Holy fuck fucking shit... http://translationparty.com/#6248921

I don't have time to tare apart this now... It's too brilliant. And I think I noted some Enochian in there.

Brings about statements such as "the great Pope John Paul II, one of the two galaxies one 1,1,2 22222 is one single social group, one in one single report"
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Pariah

I didn't read much of your original post nor do I have any clue what this OP is about
But . . .
I DO HAVE A HELPFUL HELPFUL HINT
QuoteOur Lady of Discordtm  
™=Alt+0153
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Cain

A Literary Deconstruction of the PD, undertaken with direction and funding from the Dr Tran Institute of Kicking Your Ass.

What religious narrative in this present day, teaches us such lessons in fabulous morality as the Principia Discordia?  Does any other belief system teach that uncertainty and ambiguity trump order and discipline?  Or that order and discpline themselves contain an a priori possibility of the state of uncertainty coming into play?

This discourse of order and disorder, from where does it arise, this formidable tradition that includes Lao Tzu, Heraclitus, Nietzsche, Artaud, Dali, Duchamp, Tazara and Deleuze?  Does Discordianism truly belong to this august, if mutuable geneology? 

From the outset, the introduction to the Principia introduces ambiguity, foreshadowing Barthe's Death of the Author.  The nature of the author of the tract is purposefully concealed and denied, in an attempt to escape the tyranny of subjectivity, pinning the blame instead of a vast number of culprits, perhaps to show the futility of subjectivity as a starting point for a critique.  Yet the authors are nonetheless identified, so does this not make a mockery of their post-structuralist stance?

Not necessarily.  For the claimed authors are in fact fictional constructs themselves, as we well know.  Furthermore, their approach to their work is detatched, almost bemused by their own interests and obsessions.  The irreducibly textual nature of the work is thus reaffirmed, and the simplistic, postivistic attempts to criticize the Principia with simplified versions of its own arguments are easily dismissed.

The apparent eccentricities of the text, such as Wilson's claims about the time-travelling anthropologist, are often dismissed as harmless as whimsical diversions on the part of a critic who required some form of 'creative' escape from the exigencies of high-powered theory. This attitude, typical of Anglo-American criticism, draws a  firm line between the discipline of thinking about chaos and the activity of writing which that discipline is supposed to renounce or ignore in its own performance. Criticism as 'answerable style' (in Geoffrey Hartman's phrase) is an idea that cuts right across the deep-grained assumptions of academic discourse. It is, as I shall argue, one of the most unsettling and radical departures of Discordian thought. A properly attentive reading of Wilson brings out the extent to which critical concepts are ceaselessly transformed or undone by the activity of self-conscious writing.  His subversive tactics come down to an inordinate fondness for paradox disguising a commitment to order and method.

The interview of Malacypse the Younger by the Greater Poop illustrates not only the need to draw boundaries between meta-fictional philosophical discourses, but also to transgress these boundaries when the cease to have utility for the reader.  This boundary was always subject to periodic raids and incursions by the more adventurous Proto-Discordians, especially those poets and novelists among them who felt uneasy with a discipline that drove a doctrinal wedge between the two kinds of writing. The issue was more than a matter of critical technique. What the orthodox Proto-Discordians sought in the language of poetry was a structure somehow transcending human reason and ultimately pointing to a religious sense of values.  Thus the autonomic-reflexivity of poetry became not merely an issue in aesthetics but a testing-point of faith in relation to human reason. Behind the Proto-Discordian rhetoric of irony and paradox is a whole metaphysics of language, where poetic and religious claims to truth are bound up together. At the same time there were those who assented in principle to this discipline of thought but found it in practice hard, if not impossible, to live with.

The Greater Poop reporter like Barthes, asserts the critic's freedom to exploit a style that actively transforms and questions the nature of interpretative thought. In itself this marks a decisive break with the scrupulous decorum of critical language maintained in the Situatioist's wake. This is to argue that theory, in so far as it is valid at all, is strictly a matter of placing some orderly construction upon the 'immediate' data of perception. Barthes and Malaclypse totally reject this careful policing of the bounds between literature and theory. Where the post-Situationist's proposed a disciplined or educating movement of thought from perception to principle, they discovered an endlessly fascinating conflict, the 'scene' of which is the text itself in its alternating aspects of knowledge and pleasurable fantasy.

===================

I can do this all day long, you know.

LMNO

That is a wonderful skill to have.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on February 02, 2010, 09:59:58 PM
Can I repost that Cain?

Sorry, didn't see this before.  Yes, of course.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman