News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Mike Rowe Senate Testimony

Started by Eater of Clowns, May 13, 2011, 04:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Yeah, the guy from Dirty Jobs, and the voice from everything else.

It's a well written and important highlight of the skilled labor problem America is either having or very soon will.

QuoteI encourage you to support these efforts, because closing the skills gap doesn't just benefit future tradesmen and the companies desperate to hire them. It benefits people like me, and anyone else who shares my addiction to paved roads, reliable bridges, heating, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing.

Starts off a bit slow with a personal anecdote, but worth a read at the end.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/mike-rowe-senate-testimony-04.html
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Freeky

I think Mike Rowe is the shit, and sexay to boot. :fap:

The Good Reverend Roger

I've been bitching about this for years.

Someone has to keep the lights on.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 13, 2011, 05:45:45 PM

Yeah, a lot of your work addressed it directly, and even the ones that don't have a vein of it.  It's one of the reasons I posted it here, I figured it might be of interest.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

And of course, the article is followed by hundreds of comments, 95% of which are something like "I'D VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT OVER THAT MUSLIM COMMIE BASTARD OBAMA. SPEAKING ELOQUENTLY ABOUT THE NEED FOR MORE TRADESMEN TOTALLY QUALIFIES SOMEBODY TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY."

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 13, 2011, 05:58:15 PM
And of course, the article is followed by hundreds of comments, 95% of which are something like "I'D VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT OVER THAT MUSLIM COMMIE BASTARD OBAMA. SPEAKING ELOQUENTLY ABOUT THE NEED FOR MORE TRADESMEN TOTALLY QUALIFIES SOMEBODY TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY."

:lulz:

Yup.  I was worried when I first saw the link.  It was on a friend's wall that read "Mike Rowe for President!" (of course, in her case, not actually).  I figured it was going to get pretty political.

But it doesn't.  He just speaks the direct truth, and in a way that appeals to anyone with half a brain cell.  Given that he says it in front of Congress, though, he messed that part up.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 13, 2011, 05:45:45 PM

Yep yep!! 

It's why I've advised all three kids that even if they go to college, learn a fucking trade as well. 

LMNO

I wish I had tried to get more practical "how shit works" experience when I was younger.

These days, I'm just grateful I learned logical process flow from all my book nerdiness.  I can fix things, but it usually takes me one to two hours longer because I have to stop and keep thinking it through.  It took me half a day to install a digital thermometer, and all that required was attaching three wires to a pre-fab thermostat.

But I did it.