News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Really real discordians

Started by Dalek, November 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Salazar

Wait wait wait.

"Faggot" is not term of endearment in USA?
Did someone say gorgeous?

Phox

Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 07:57:14 PM
Quote from: Phox on November 22, 2010, 07:52:04 PM

But the problem lies in the fact that language IS a very powerful social tool. Whether you adhere to the norms or not, is a statement about the kind of people you wish to associate with, whether you intend it to be or not. You can tell the most about a person by the way they speak above all other things.

What's the problem, exactly?  You're describing exactly what I said:  that language has social normative values, and a certain knowledge of them is required to function with any success while using it.

Now, English language LEARNERS (meaning:  people who don't speak the language indigenously NOR live within the cultures that speak it indigenously) don't always KNOW those values or live them, do they?  So their perception would be "off" sometimes.  And the internet is an INTERESTING place to learn those values, to say the least.

It's less black and white, is what I'm saying, than you seem to want to accept or purport, but then language, interaction and culture tends to be that way once you go past the "this is wrong, this is right, etc." sort of discussion.

Oh, i was agreeing with you. The "but the problem is" was leftover thought from my response to Cram. Sorry about that.

Quote from: Nigel on November 22, 2010, 07:59:17 PM
Wait, since when have queers not appropriated the word "fag"? We must live on different planets.

Also, "the LGBT community". :lulz:

Sorry, longstanding pet peeve.

I meant "officially". And when I refer to the "LGBT community" I mean the organizations that claim to be just that, not the actual collective of  homosexual people in the country. And you and I might as well live on separate planets in terms of tolerance levels. Acceptance of the community at large plays a large part in how a sub-group portrays itself. 

Jenne

Quote from: Pēleus on November 22, 2010, 08:00:38 PM
Fag is like sexual harassment. Its only not okay when an ugly person does it

I see what you're saying, but I disagree.  Not making a fuss because someone's NOT ugly is not making it "okay," just means a certain tolerance is displayed at times when it shouldn't be. 

You should move further forward with your thoughts on this, though, rather than just dropping off a provocative statement.

Jenne

Quote from: Enrico Salazar on November 22, 2010, 08:01:39 PM
Wait wait wait.

"Faggot" is not term of endearment in USA?

When you say it, I think it is.  It must have that descriptor, "glorious" in front of it, however, or all bets seem to be off...

the last yatto

Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 08:59:34 PM

I see what you're saying, but I disagree.  Not making a fuss because someone's NOT ugly is not making it "okay," just means a certain tolerance is displayed at times when it shouldn't be. 

You should move further forward with your thoughts on this, though, rather than just dropping off a provocative statement.

Considering I like to use the word fag when bumming a smoke I'm probally not the best to define socially acceptable. For example tv/film its ok often ignored for a gay person to use the word gay, otherwise press releases come from "lgbt community" group(s) tend to happen
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Dane$$a

Google bombing material removed - TGRR

Consider this your first, last, and only warning.

the last yatto

Don't make me toss your salad
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Phox

hooplala

Quote from: Dane$$a on November 22, 2010, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: Pēleus on November 22, 2010, 09:09:45 PM

Considering I like to use the word fag when bumming a smoke I'm probally not the best to define socially acceptable. For example tv/film its ok often ignored for a gay person to use the word gay, otherwise press releases come from "lgbt community" group(s) tend to happen

WHAT are you a NIGGER like me? Please TO LEARN ENGLISH peleus as to where normal human being can read your post

Are you still here?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

This shit never ceases to amuse me at times.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

I see what you're saying, but I disagree.  Not making a fuss because someone's NOT ugly is not making it "okay," just means a certain tolerance is displayed at times when it shouldn't be.  

Ah, you're talking about the "within the target group only" prestige, otherwise, there's a taboo?  And sometimes this can be taken as hypocritical...I can see that.  But in understanding the power of a macroculture--you notice there's no rioting in the streets when someone gets called a "crackah"?  Why is that?  Where's the vitriol over something that's intended to be hurtful and a total slur?

There really isn't any.  The power structure of the culture has been skewed such that this particular taboo, though inflammatory, doesn't outweigh that of those who are underpowered.  It's simple politics, actually, and unfortunately for some.  Same for the homosexual community.  If they were "running things," as it were, then we would see less of a stance that only gays in the gay community can use the taboo language to effect without causing ill will.

There's also the factor of solidarity and whatnot thrown in when members of that select group call only each other that taboo word.  The layman term for that is "reempowerment" or something like that.  

In the end, it's intent and audience that is at the root of the usage.  What the interlocutor INTENDS the audience to interpret as meaning is every bit as important as what the audience presupposes and then interprets as the intended meaning.

Dane$$a

GOOGLE BOMBING and how??????? LMAO wat a joke

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

the last yatto

Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 09:24:26 PM

Ah, you're talking about the "within the target group only" prestige, otherwise, there's a taboo?  And sometimes this can be taken as hypocritical...I can see that.  But in understanding the power of a macroculture--you notice there's no rioting in the streets when someone gets called a "crackah"?  Why is that?  Where's the vitriol over something that's intended to be hurtful and a total slur?

There really isn't any.  The power structure of the culture has been skewed such that this particular taboo, though inflammatory, doesn't outweigh that of those who are underpowered.  It's simple politics, actually, and unfortunately for some.  Same for the homosexual community.  If they were "running things," as it were, then we would see less of a stance that only gays in the gay community can use the taboo language to effect without causing ill will.

There's also the factor of solidarity and whatnot thrown in when members of that select group call only each other that taboo word.  The layman term for that is "reempowerment" or something like that. 

In the end, it's intent and audience that is at the root of the usage.  What the interlocutor INTENDS the audience to interpret as meaning is every bit as important as what the audience presupposes and then interprets as the intended meaning.

:mittens: