News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

He wasn't who he thought he was.

Started by Abbess Jade, June 29, 2010, 12:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Perhaps some sort of misplaced optimism paired with generalised antipathy?
Or something like the opposite of temporarily hating someone you usually like.

Or, I suppose, when you're in the business of THE HATE, you can hate someone on general principle while still giving them a kind of professional respect for being a HORRIBLE BASTARD themselves.

I'm assuming in Dok's that he simultaneously hates them for what they are and likes them for who they are. Or the other way around. Or something.

Fujikoma

You've never loved and hated something or someone at the same time?.. The idea of two seemingly contradictory states being true at the same time isn't such a stretch for me. The universe is a strange place... The mind is an even stranger place. An example of ambivalence? Ninja Gaiden... Nintendo hard, the definition of an impossible challenge, and yet... Nethack... I have a game I'm close to finishing, but I'm too scared to play it because I might lose everything I've already worked for. Castlevania, it's just not the same without the terrible rage that those annoying medusa heads paired with bottomless pits can invoke in a person...

Then, there's this one ex-girlfriend of mine, but my negative emotions were all a product of my misplaced attribution of responsibility for the problem... For a while there, yeah, I knew what ambivalence felt like. Now, of course, and for the past several years, I've known exactly where responsibility lie, and it was all my fault, really. Now, ambivalence towards myself, that's going to take a while to resolve.

Consider the idea of a two-faced ambivalent God ruling the universe... It would make more sense than a benevolent father figure and some wicked rebel creation of his. Assigning values to things often undermines the ability to understand the true nature of them. Love, hate, all emotions of the moment, fueled either by a lack of understanding, or a mistaken understanding. There's some old saying, a person cannot stand in the same river twice... Why? The water is always moving.

It may be painful to accept contradiction, but the universe is very large and mysterious, there are directions and dimensions we cannot even perceive with our feeble brains... There is plenty room for contradiction, though it defies our desire to know truth, this is why it is painful and seems to bend the mind. We want to collect ideas and imagine them always true or always false, but it just doesn't work like that. Our universe is slowly ticking down to infinite entropy... Every piece of matter might just fly apart with a great cosmic sneeze? Though, it may be a bit slower than that might imply (and by a bit, I mean a whole freaking LOT slower)... The same applies for all things... Gain or loss? Will it all end in catastrophe? Will there be a rebirth? Am I just like some alarmist who would espouse this kind of theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

I sure hope not... Or maybe I should hope so. I really don't know. The point I'm trying to make is, true/false 1/0 works for computers... These are nothing more than devices, they lack the qualities we would like to give them... The only good thing about them is that they are easily manipulated, by those who know the art (well, actually it's a science, or, arguably, a bit of both)... And, having a true/false mindset makes it much easier for others to program you. Your wetware is far superior to hardware, people need to stop conforming to the true/false paradigm, and at least breach the edge of that bubble... So many people complain about feeling empty inside, saying there's no answer to the despair they feel, and I think they may be too comfortable with that despair to break out of those boundaries. If one makes oneself easily quantifiable, one totally neglects the greater part of their mind, and lends oneself to be a tool of the puppet masters.

But I know there is an answer to the despair. The despair is caused by trying to use the mind like it's a computer, just because it's easier. being taken in by such an idea forces one to conform all of one's thoughts to such a dualistic scale. Life is not that simple, it's a changing model everyday. Plans fall through, people die, things we take for granted cease to be ours. It's an inefficient process, much time is lost planning around constantly changing and unpredictable factors, time that could be spent on other things. Ambivalence, while a little unpleasant due to conditioning, makes complete sense to me.

Anyway, I'm sure all of you already know that, I felt the need to vent a little... As evidence for my claims, a link will follow.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/329979

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on July 03, 2010, 06:16:47 AM
It's called "ambivalence"... It's totally possible... Well, ambivalence may be more balanced than I think it is, requiring love and hate at the same time, but I think there may be varying degrees of ambivalence... Off to look that

I think I can fucking answer for myself, thanks.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Abbess Jade on July 03, 2010, 06:01:32 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 02, 2010, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: Khara on July 02, 2010, 09:11:32 PM

The real question is, do you still sleep with people who you hate?  :wink:

By definition, yes.  But that doesn't mean I don't LIKE them.

How the hell can you hate someone but like them?

Hate them personally, but like them physically? Vat?

Like is not on the same scale as love or hate.

The opposites of love and hate are indifference.

The opposite of like is dislike.

The difference is, the "love scale" goes from love to hate to indifference, with the zero point being hostility

The "Like" scale goes from like to indifference to dislike.  They share a common point at indifference, but that's about it.

Ergo, though I hate conservativism, for example, I have many conservative friends.  I hate them and everything they stand for, but I can still LIKE them, even to the point of being friends with them.
Molon Lube