News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

MUSIC that changed your life

Started by E.O.T., September 24, 2010, 01:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

IN WHATEVER WAY -

be it an inner, a social or otherwise epiphanic occurrence. For this immediate purpose, i'm focusing on music that changed the way i think about music.

1) George Harrison "electronic sounds" - this is one of those Lp's that even die hard Beatle's fans often are unaware of. The title actually says it all. You may call it minimal synth or min. moog, but what it is is electronic sounds. Originally recorded in 1967, I came across this marked down to nothing at "The Nickelodeon", the only record store in my hometown, when I was 12. It confirmed my belief that my "Doctor Who Sound Effects by the B.B.C. Workshop" Lp wasn't made just for my enjoyment alone.

2) Lou Reed "metal machine music" - a friend bought this thinking it was a live Lp. Two 12" slabs + 1 7" record of carefully manipulated feedback. And nothing else. I was changed alright. "it's o.k. to do this? ...yeesss"

3) LAIBACH - the band from Slovenia. The year was 1986 and i found the Lp "Baptism" at a record store in Milwaukee. It was so beyond anything I'd ever heard then, it was classical, it was industrial, elements of theatre, folk, it had a sound that hit my core essence like a ton of bricks. When i saw this video on MtV's "120 minutes" i shit a ton of bricks. These guys are possibly the best band ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YE_j0xIsJA

I'LL KEEP ADDING TO THIS

and i'm curious about what you spags have in turn

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Requia ☣

The Carmina Burana.  Because I needed something to listen to watch I watch everything burn down.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Stelpa

The Beatles - Got me into music

Daft Punk - Got me into electronic music

The Flashbulb - Got me into IDM

The Octopus Project AND The Flaming Lips - Made me not a jerk  :lulz:

E.O.T.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 24, 2010, 01:27:07 AM
The Carmina Burana.  Because I needed something to listen to watch I watch everything burn down.

SIMILARLY,

'O FORTUNA' (an excerpt from Carmina Burana) was the theme song to my wedding.

Salty

The Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes. Way, way too close to home and no less effective.
The Devil Makes Three - Tow. Same. Also showed me where my tastes truly lie.
Nina Simone - Pretty much anything except Mississippi Goddamn has, uh, been influential.

Oh!
And Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

E.O.T.

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 24, 2010, 02:10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdVTVR-j0Q

Perfect song for baby making, glorious weddings and funerals

HEH

a version with the battle sounds seeping through would be grand for all those purposes too. it's so versatile, i can already hear the epic drum roll rave-anthem mixes, bumpin house & D&B, IDM drones, -damn, those crafty Reds. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Nirvana- got me into music, which I had never been quite fond of before hand
Metallica- Got me into Metal
Emperor- Got me to appreciate more extreme versions of metal
The Tea Party- Made me realize that you could do some really cool shit when you weren't tied down to just guitar-bass-drums
My old band- Made me realize that even with subpar music and bad management and communication, that I did really want to be an active musician, and that I could be.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

E.O.T.

THE YEAR IS 1988, ABOUT

a week or so after high school let out, I moved in with some friends who lived near the University campus in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I found a job managing(!?!) a MR. DONUT and spent my time getting high, reading Marquis DeSade, going to work, getting high and taking acid. On a bi-weekly basis, I would rush to my favourite record store and spend 98% of my paycheck on vinyl at "Ludwig Von Ear", where the owner Dave, always turned me on to new stuff. Briefly, my reality was altered and then permanently scarred(in a good way) by the discovery of this Lp-

THE IMPOTENT SEA SNAKES "TOO COOL FOR ROCK'N'ROLL"

The insert featured complete(!) lyrics backwashed by a graphic of a female image being explored by a great number of serpents. The back cover showed the band- a motley group of guys in rough n tumble glam drag identified as (from left to right) Fuckeye Jones, Buck Futt, Spawn More, 13 & Chow My Wang. DAMN!

I thought that I was wowwed by what happened when the needle hit the record, however what swept over my roomies and their (unfortunately timed) visitors is another story. What was released into the universe was an unboundable joy of total perversion the likes of which I had never imagined.

years later, the band would sort of back-pedal on the content of this Lp and eventually dismiss not only this release(and their previous) but also some crucial band members. Not limited to, but tracks included:

-Pope John Paul can suck my dick
         -(n*gg*rs are) the missing link
         -I caught aids from a dead man's asshole
         -I wanna fuck your dad
         -circle jerk(no girls allowed)

YEARS LATER

while dj'ing a 'fetish night' in Portland (1997?) they played live (uh huh, what?) - they played a totally clean/ new set except for "circle jerk" and the crowd "booood" the 'no girls allowed' refrain. kinda stupid, but now their totally overhauled line-up totally distances itself from the bands origin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wish I could participate in this thread, but as much as I love music, I don't think any of it has ever changed my life or the way I think to such an extent that I felt "blown away" or even remember the first time I heard it. Well, except maybe for Psychic Emperor.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

IT

doesn't have to be a positive thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoPKXbsZh6I

Jasper

Offspring and Megadeth turned me on to music.  From there, Gwar. Hammerfall, and Daft Punk got me through high school.  Pedestrian tastes for a completely uncultured young man, but good at the time.  I still like Gwar and Daft Punk occasionally.

Susi Ankah & Arkitech's Dual Illumination track on the Bonkers album was an epiphany to me.  For about a year or more, one of my favorite pastimes was to meditate while it was playing. 

For some reason I was pretty blown away when I first heard X Clan - Earthbound.  I didn't know their context for the song so I mistook the lyrics for references to the game Earthbound. 

Dr Steel (disliked by Nigel because he is embarrassing) was pretty cool for a while and made me think about mad science as a way of life.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: E.O.T. on September 24, 2010, 06:37:47 AM
IT

doesn't have to be a positive thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoPKXbsZh6I

That video was amazing!

But, no, I don't recall anything I could really lay down as "life-changing". Lots of soundtracks going back to childhood, for everything all the time, but no music that seems like whoa, that was a turning point. Oh, maybe "Are you experienced" by Jimi Hendrix, since it was playing the first night I made out with Steve and I gave it up the next morning.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 24, 2010, 06:59:19 AM
Offspring and Megadeth turned me on to music.  From there, Gwar. Hammerfall, and Daft Punk got me through high school.  Pedestrian tastes for a completely uncultured young man, but good at the time.  I still like Gwar and Daft Punk occasionally.

Susi Ankah & Arkitech's Dual Illumination track on the Bonkers album was an epiphany to me.  For about a year or more, one of my favorite pastimes was to meditate while it was playing. 

For some reason I was pretty blown away when I first heard X Clan - Earthbound.  I didn't know their context for the song so I mistook the lyrics for references to the game Earthbound. 

Dr Steel (disliked by Nigel because he is embarrassing) was pretty cool for a while and made me think about mad science as a way of life.

SWEET

more than a couple of these are unfamiliar to me, can't wait to check this.

E.O.T.

NWA - "straight outta Compton"

hopefully i'll get back to my earlier encounters with rap/ hip-hop during this thread, but this album just came to mind.

it's like, 1989 or there abouts. The place is Sheboygan, Wisconsin. As locals, we spend our time crawling in beaters & muscle cars from shooting park to North point. The soundtrack is mostly grindcore, classic rock, - mostly SLAYER/ ANTHRAX, the contemporary stuff. every fuckin house party you went to had the STEVE MILLER BAND playing as if it were SHEBCO digital radio, before the shit really existed(digital radio). I don't remember where it came from, but for a handful of my friends & myself this album grabbed us by the ass and rattled us like a coho derby of surrealist marshall sub-woofers charging our charter.

between bottles of twelve-year old whiskey and bags of weed we held backwoods philosophy classes amongst ourselves over this stuff. We seriously discussed the meaning of phrases like "lookin for the bitches with the big 'ol butts" as if there were actually ways to interpret this shit. from here it rolled into EAZY-E's solo Lp, ICE-T, PUBLIC ENEMY. it was culture shock.