News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

No wonder young girls don't get into science.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2011, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Jenne

Well, I think back in the day they DID dress all infants in dresses.  Largish dresses.  You can see the logic in that.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of cultures still out there that dress their kids more for comfort and health and ease than gender indentification.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on December 02, 2011, 05:26:03 PM
that's kinda fucked up, Kai.
:|

No, fucked up is treating them poorly. Fucked up is killing people for their skin color. Fucked up is making women second class citizens. Fucked up is corpse fucking.

My thoughts of babies as potential humans, which does not change my moral requirement to treat them right, is merely quirky.

It's also immature, stupid, and wrong.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

I believe Queen Victoria regarded them akin to plants for the first six months.

And then she had one and decided they were people from the get go after all.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 05:21:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, they're barely human. I don't think of babies as people until they start speaking.

I don't consider them human until they learn to stop.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on December 02, 2011, 06:14:37 PM
Well, I think back in the day they DID dress all infants in dresses.  Largish dresses.  You can see the logic in that.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of cultures still out there that dress their kids more for comfort and health and ease than gender indentification.

I think it was still common during the Victorian era.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I take back "stupid" and replace it with "willfully ignorant" in the kind of woefully common way you tend to hear from people who think such viewpoints make them sound interesting.

I find it mildly sickening, much as when people say they don't regard niggers, retards, or women as "human".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And I'm woefully disappointed to hear such things from someone I regard as intelligent and thoughtful.

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2011, 06:33:43 PM

No, fucked up is treating them poorly. Fucked up is killing people for their skin color. Fucked up is making women second class citizens. Fucked up is corpse fucking.

My thoughts of babies as potential humans, which does not change my moral requirement to treat them right, is merely quirky.

I honestly can't think of a response to this that wouldn't be immature, stupid, and wrong.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 02, 2011, 06:35:36 PM

Yeah, unless you're a sociopath you can't really spend much time with an infant and not realize that they're intelligent, independent personalities from birth. They can't do much about expressing it, but you can see that it's in there. Plus, I remember bits of being a baby, and not being able to talk was hellishly frustrating.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 06:39:42 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2011, 06:33:43 PM

I honestly can't think of a response to this that wouldn't be immature, stupid, and wrong.

You are supposed to be a scientist. How can you be a scientist and express an opinion such as that one for any other reason than thinking that it
somehow "cute"?

Juana

Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2011, 06:42:54 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 02, 2011, 06:35:36 PM

Yeah, unless you're a sociopath you can't really spend much time with an infant and not realize that they're intelligent, independent personalities from birth. They can't do much about expressing it, but you can see that it's in there. Plus, I remember bits of being a baby, and not being able to talk was hellishly frustrating.
Yep. I've spent limited time around babies (dad's ex's middle daughter had two and they were ADORABLE), but I agree. And it's really cool to watch them learn and grow. :)
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, gotta say, there's a couple square yards of Dawkins Fallacy in that there truck.

Salty

Kai, do you consider babies barely human because they can't communicate?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Bruno

Quote from: Jenne on December 02, 2011, 06:14:37 PM

I remember seeing pictures of either my dad or grandfather as a toddler wearing a dress. It used to be really common, apparently.

Formerly something else...